Parent reviews for Persona 5 Royal

Persona 5 Royal Poster Image

Great for teens and adults

I gave this to my 12 year old for his birthday and he was very happy. Would recommend to teens and adults.

1 person found this helpful.

A good game ok for most kids depending on how mature they are.

A Rare Masterpiece, Persona 5 Royal Navigates Very Heavy Issues with Finesse While Being Fun & Stylistic.

The original Persona 5 was already one of the best games in modern history and the Royal version not only adds many quality of life features, it also adds significantly to an already amazing story. Though it deals with very dark issues including dealing with the death of a parent/sibling, sexual abuse, blackmail, worker exploitation and many more deep issues, Persona 5 Royal navigates these subjects with finesse that's rarely seen in the gaming industry. I see this game as an amazing tool to teach teenagers how to deal with the difficulty of the world and overcome overwhelming obstacles. It may take 100 hours to play but it gives the game time to fully develop while tackling such heavy topics in one of the most enjoyable ways possible.

A gaming masterpiece to enjoy some alone time. I sometimes let my kid play too.

I believe that this game is fine for children, as long as they know enough about certain topics, and know that it’s not okay to do any of the stuff the antagonists do, if you child is on the younger side, you could set some boundaries, like only taking the friend option in female confidants, and sometimes playing in front of you.

Excellent, fun, interesting game

My niece walked me through playing this game at the beginning, as parts of it are complex, and also I'm not very good at video games :) but I played a bunch of it, and my niece told me that I was now about 1/10 done. I was excited! It is a lot lot lot of fun and interesting and somewhat open world. There are social contact situations that help you level up. Combat is turn-based, which is not my favorite, but it's nice to have time to think. There are profound moral choices to ponder, awkward high-school situations to deal with, and dating (het only) possibilities to consider. But there is also this wonderful unknown alternate universe and a growing group of supportive friends. Pretty great.

Every family should play this

This game has everything for the whole family. Sure, there is heavy language and sex references , (and an arc that implied a girl was raped) but the good overweighs the bad. Each phantom thief is a great role model that all kids can look up to. Also, this game overall has a great message. It’s that nothing will change in the world unless you make it change, which is a great message for kids. 10/10, every family should play this

Objectionable content that serves a purpose

As the title states, Persona 5 Royal is without a doubt one of the greatest games I have ever played. From start to finish, the story and characters are phenomenal, and most importantly, the characters feel like real people. Unfortunately, with this realistic approach, there is bound to be some objectionable content that earns the game it's M rating. First of all, the dungeons in this game are based on the concept of the "Seven Deadly Sins," save for a few of them, and naturally one of these dungeons is based around the deadly sin of lust. While nothing truly horrifying is shown on-screen, we do see characters behaving with sexual implicit mannerisms, dressed in extremely skimpy clothing, and worst of all, the boss of this dungeon, a high school teacher, is heavily implied to have raped a student, which drove her to attempt suicide. However, as the main goal of these dungeons is to get the ruler to confess their crimes, these all serve to make the player despise the ruler, and helps to get the player invested in the story while not promoting these sorts of actions. Further sexual content is present throughout the rest of the game, but not frequently. Some Personas (think Pokemon, but demons) have genital-like protrusions, or are almost completely composed of genitalia, but these are few and far between. Additionally, some characters will make sexual comments toward others, but it is usually played off as a joke, and the character receives some sort of comeuppance for it in the end. Additionally, with the characters being realistic, there are also some references to both drugs and alcohol in the game. One job the player can undertake in the "student life" portions of the game are working at a cross-dressing bar, and one of the player's "Confidants" (a character who is thoroughly explored) is an overworked journalist who frequents the bar and is more often than not seen drunk. Additionally, the player's main source of healing items comes from another Confidant, a shady doctor who has a license to produce her own medications, but not test them, and so uses the protagonist as a guinea pig of sorts. There is also a great deal of swearing in the game, as per the norm with M-rated titles. The majority of the swearing comes from a particularly vulgar character, Ryuji Sakamoto, who is present from the very beginning of the game, and frequently uses words such as "s**t" and "b*st*rd.* Most of the swearing in this game is of this caliber, though there are a few instances of "f*ck" being dropped by some mafia members. There is also quite a bit of violence, with characters being shown bleeding frequently and various forms of executions being performed in Persona Fusions, including guillotines and the electric chair. However, the blood effects are more cartoonish than gorey, and the executions usually lead to the Personas dissolving into light rather than being extremely gruesome. All in all, the objectionable content isn't possible to ignore, but it certainly isn't encouraged by the game. If anything, the games very themes about making criminals confess their crimes are a testament to the fact that the game speaks out against such things. All of the objectionable content serves a purpose in the story, weather it be to make the player despise the antagonists, or to realistically characterize high school students and their own inner struggles. Given the things people know about in middle and high schools nowadays, I see no reason why someone around those age ranges shouldn't be allowed to play this game- there are far worse ones out there.

Great game

It’s one of the few games that explores the idea of jungian concepts of the self and the shadow self, while also delving into real world politics and current events. Not much of any cussing or violence, it’s more like an anime in the sense of art style. The moral of this story is to be true to yourself, follow your heart and do the right thing. I don’t know if children will be able to truly grasp the hidden messages and read between the lines.. for that reason I will say the older you are, the more you’ll most likely enjoy it. Obviously there’s always the exception to the rule, but this game is deep. Take your time! The more you know about psychology, the more interesting this game becomes. Hence why I think older kids will like it a lot more. Other than being at an age where you truly grasp everything, I suppose a 13 year old could play based on what’s there, I just don’t think a child that young would really grasp this story psychologically. Again most likely the older you are, the more interesting it becomes. Check it out!

persona 5