Kid reviews for Persona 5 Royal

Persona 5 Royal Poster Image

The ESRB and PEGI royally messed up with this game.

This game is phenomenal, but that's not the focus of my review. Parents and rating boards really misread kids, it's not even funny. If a game has blood in it it's automatically M rated, no matter how much blood it is, or how unrealistic it looks. I know the ESRB has "animated blood" for unrealistic blood, but a. PEGI has no such thing and b) the ESRB's definition of animated blood is pretty much "if blood is not red, it is unrealistic." This is honestly so stupid. For example, in Ocarina of Time 3D, you kill ganon, and green blood is depicted very realistically. The reason this game has "animated blood" in the description is because the blood is green, instead of red like the original. Now look at persona 5, where the game has a comic book art style, so it shows blood unrealistically, but the ESRB doesn't care and it has blood in the description. Although there are cutscenes where blood is spraying, these are anime cutscenes, again, they are very unrealistic and should fall in the animated blood category. Another thing I would like to point out is the "strong language." This couldn't be farther from the truth. The f word is used barely in this 100 hour game, and there are other words used, like sh*t and asshole. I just want to point out that kids nowadays say swear words when they're 8, so theres no reason to make this game rated 17+ (or 16+ depending on where you're from) because of things little kids experience. Making it so every game with blood or swear words M rated is honestly absurd, it's like if I got cut by scissors tomorrow, and my mom walked in and said I couldn't look at it because I'm not 18. Rating boards and parents should realize that kids aren't innocent, and that from middle school and up all it is is sex jokes, swear words, and a lot of fights. This game is about high schoolers fighting back against the bad in the world, which they have to experience. This game tackles dark issues that kids have to deal with, whether parents like it or not. Ok so in the middle of writing this I remembered the ESRB rating, so I just want to go back to it. As a quick recap we've gotten rid of blood and replaced it with animated blood, gotten rid of strong language, and I'll give it mild language. I think the next thing I'll talk about is the "drug reference." I can't take this seriously, the rating itself says they only talk about drugs once in one side quest. Not to mention it depicts drugs in a bad way, so this should just be removed. I think the next objectionable description is sexual themes, which I think should be suggestive themes. As I've said middle school in up is just sex jokes, not no mention there are many sex jokes and sexual themes in PG-13 movies, so they shouldn't be treated as something only adults can see in games. Lastly, I want to talk about the "violence" description. As I've said this game has a comic book art style, and other games that don't get the "cartoon violence" description, when they don't look like cartoons. Now that that's done I think I can give this game it's proper rating, Teen : Animated Blood, Partial Nudity, Suggestive Themes, Mild Language, Cartoon Violence. Although I have given it a T rating, I still believe 12 year olds can play it as it can have positive influences on them, the only reason I don't have this as E10+ is because 10 year olds shouldn't. Now that that's done, I just want to say that this game has a great story, and it has lots positive messages, and anyone should play this game if given the chance.

5 people found this helpful.
This game is one of if not the best jrpg games out there. This game is not a rated teen game and it shouldn't be. The game covers very deep subjects that can be useful to a growing teenager. The only alarming thing is the torture that occurs to players, and personas.

A masterpiece.

Some sexual content toward the beginning, and language is pretty rare throughout. Easily the best game I've ever played, with themes of empowerment being common.

Its fine as long as your kid is not stupid

The only instance of any sexual themes is i the beginning of the game even then it is merely hinted to as a mean to make the player hate one of the many antagonists like Gladiator the movie i would let your kid see Gladiator and if they are fine with that then i would let them play this great game if you have any questions feel free to message me at https://twitter.com/ChamacoSm i will try my best to respond

Meaningful concept

This game has a lot of concepts that reminds you how life works in capitalism and how some people try to change that, this game is great and touches on many different concepts I personally don't agree with common sense or ESRB ratings because it undermines the child psyce and thinks that we are blissfully unaware of what happens in the world. The language is accurate of what teenagers use and even what 6th graders use the, drug usage is metiond in two ways: there is the stuff that you buy at a clinic to heal your team and then theirs a story arc starter in which some of the students are hired for a job to deliver an envelope" to point A to B which hints to a trafficking system in Shibuya the "blood is'int an accurate telling of what is in the story, now there are some sexual citations in which a teacher has sexually harassed a student and goes to jail there is no showing of it happening other than that it is a solid fantasy where high school students team up to defeat the antagonists in the city by stealing there "treasure" by going into there minds and stealing the disiere in which caused them to act that way and confess. Great game a tewlve year old could play it

If you want to play P5, this is the definitive way to play it.

Persona 5 Royal is so good it made the original P5 obsolete. All the new content added in Royal makes the game better. The new characters Kasumi and Maruki make the game better. The game also adds good writing to Akechi, one of the worst characters in the original. However, this means all mature content in P5 is also in Royal, the swearing (not that much), violence (not that much) and sexual content (only in first dungeon which is a tutorial). However, this game is so good it definitely doesn't matter. Please just play this game.

Amazing game, easily could have been rated Teen.

P5R is truly a masterpiece. Age wise I would recommend it for when you enter middle school. I first played it in seventh grade and honestly the content is nothing you wouldn’t be used to seeing in school like the excessive amount of language (but really, that doesn’t bother me at all), there is also a character named Kamoshida who is a weirdo pervert, and there’s nothing overly scary or whatever, but the first scene where Joker gets kicked around in a chair might be a bit too much for some people, also the scene where Shiho attempts suicide, depending on what you’re used to seeing in video games. So overall, the game is amazing and I recommend it for 12 and up. Coming from a girl whose parents are strict about video game ratings, if you are skeptical about letting your child play this and they’re not innocent, just go for it. P5R could have been rated Teen by the ESRB for sure, definitely the tamest Mature rated game I’ve seen.

Great game for people who can handle it

This game is one of the best I’ve played yet it can be a little overwhelming for younger people as it does include a lot of swearing, a few graphic cutscenes where blood is coming out after the members of the phantom thieves take their masks off and nearing the end of the game, some shadows look like male and female anatomy parts as well. There is also drug references during the story like mentions of cigarettes and alcohol. I would recommend playing through the game before letting kids under 15 play it though.