All parent member reviews for Resident Evil 4

Adult Written bycrazypyro June 4, 2011

Worth it 100%

Ok, I'm not going to touch gameplay until later on (because quite frankly, the vast majority of this site's audience couldn't care less). First issue is language. Yeah, they swear, it's on the box M for strong language. That said, it's nothing too bad and more importantly, nothing your kids haven't heard before if they have any interaction whatsoever with other kids. Next is the violence. And boy is there a lot. From the satisfying explosion of a perfect headshot to the death of your character at the hands of the chainsaw wielding maniac, this game is violent. That said, it's not overly violent (like, say, Saw). The genre of the game is survival horror, and the dark element adds to the game perfectly. This game is scary, intense, well-made, hard, and not good for anyone who scares easily. It's a fantastic game, one of my personal favorites, and by no means the worst one out there. You want really violent? Try Dead Space. (also a great game, just gorier) Finally, the sexual content. I don't understand why everyone is getting so worked up over it. Ashley dresses in a miniskirt. The game is made in Japan. Miniskirts are normal there, and her skirt is actually quite modest by comparison (trust me, I was there) Oh, and as for gameplay, I recommend ign.com's excellent review. It describes the game far better than I ever could.
Adult Written byed1993 April 14, 2011
Resident Evil 4 is too funny to be taken seriously. The dialogue parodies American rhetoric in the "war on terror" perfectly. The violence may be a little shocking perhaps, but it's too comic book to be serious. Overall, despite the gore, I wouldn't object to 10 year olds viewing some of it and certainly by the teen years it's not at all too much
Parent Written byNintendoNerdU May 12, 2014

Great Game! Has Aged Well!

Personally, I've noticed that EVERY M-rated game on here is instantly rated not for kids, and its a little biased. If anything, the movies are more gory, and have more swearing than the games themselves.
Adult Written bycrackerjack5 August 18, 2009

Excellent game

A lot of fun, not for young kids at all. Besides the violence and a few swear words, there isn't too much wrong with the game. It's not Grand Theft Auto or anything like that. Most teenagers should be fine with it.
Adult Written byREDSOX101 July 28, 2009

good game, creepy

scary
Adult Written bywwxx3xw April 9, 2008

best game ever made

best game ever made. thats all there is to it.
Adult Written bymatt4eva11 June 27, 2015

hands down the best capcom a RE game ro date

Yes that I right im saying 12, because 12 year olds can come to respect the horror aspect of it as they will find it more scary and that I the point of this game
Adult Written bySafetymom17 June 1, 2015

Violent

This game is bloody. Frightening enemies with chainsaws as well as other enemies chase your character (aliesterrrr lol). Moderate cursing but nothing severe a few sexual innuendos.
Adult Written bygamerdad512 September 8, 2014

Best horror game ever

This is one of the greatest games of all time, but there is a lot of violence you should probably know about if your kids want to play it. A lot of the game is killing zombies but the most violent parts are ways for the player to die. Probably the worst is being decapitated by a chainsaw. But other than violence, there isn't too much cursing which surprised me with this being mature rated and there's not really any sexual content. Also, the main character, Leon could be considered a good role model. In one scene, he is offered a cigarette but says no. If your kids know right from wrong, they won't necome violent from playing this game and if they've played other M games it shouldn't be too shocking and disturbing for them. Because this is a horror game it might scare some people but it won't emotionally traumatize you. If your kids wake you up in the middle of the night because they have nightmares they probably shouldn't play it but if not, and you know they are mature enough, go ahead and let them play it. This is one of the best games of all time, you don't even have to be a fan of survival horror games to enjoy it, I don't usually play horror games but this is really good. I let my 13 year old play it and he's not afraid of it, sometimes the jumpscares get him but only for like a second.
Educator and Parent Written byRedburn February 28, 2012

awesome but too exiting

It's too much exiting for a kid He won't study for one week (the time it takes to finish the game)
Adult Written byBossManJones February 17, 2012

Not that bad

This is a fantastic game that has fairly significant violence and mild language. The worst of the language is in spanish. There are a few instances of s*** but nothing any worse. Enemy heads often explode but that is as bad as the violence gets. The game is intense but not necessarily scary which I found disappointing. If you are looking for a survival/horror game go somewhere else. This is an action game. It is not nearly as gore as Gears of War but it is slightly worse than Call of Duty. Know your kids. If they play Call of Duty without issue this should be fine.
Parent of a 15 year old Written byTheGman447 September 11, 2011

j;lkaejg;ha;sfhg;lajsdfg

The best survival horror game ever!
Parent of a 17 year old Written byjarednelson23 March 20, 2011
iv beate this game alot of times and sometimes it is still a difficult game deffinatley not 4 everybody
Parent of a 8 year old Written byrandy barnes January 11, 2011

is this a game?

This is the wort game ever.
Adult Written byBrastelei December 19, 2010

Incredible, Bloody Experience

Resident Evil 4 is widely and critically considered to be one of the greatest games ever made, but it is definitely not for kids. This game is extremely violent, as you would expect in a Resident Evil title. As Leon you will kill countless infected (not zombies) humans through gunfire and melee. There are graphic head explosions, dismemberment, beheadings (some via chainsaw) and other violent deaths including having your face melted off. It is definitely not for those who are easily sickened, as a majority of the violence includes parasites and grotesque monsters that explode out of human bodies. Outside of violence, there is mild sexual innuendo and women in provocative dress and infrequent mild to strong language (with the worst being sh**). For those who love action games or survival horror, this game is amazing, and is a must play for any game collector.
Adult Written bygangstabunny11 July 27, 2010

good for many ages without swearing

i could see where one would think not a positive message but actually think about the story. a guy goes to spain on a mission to rescue the presidents daughter all of the people in this area are infected of course you are gonna shoot em! you rescue her and stop the bad guys from taking over the world there is swearing but its another hero story not a lets go shoot people like gta
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byYBNormal January 7, 2009
Adult Written byvoiceofreason April 9, 2008

Game of the Year 2005, and a great change for an aging series.

This game is amazing. The gameplay is perfect, and, though it keeps the "tank" controls from past Resident Evil games, feels completely natural in motion. While past RE games used cheap scare tactics to elicit screams from players, RE4 manages to keep the player in a constant state of nervous fear, which is much more satisfying. Of course, one must mention the graphics. They push the GameCube to its limit, consistantly creating enviroments and character models that feel alive while looking almost completely photo-realistic. On a closing note, considering that my 13 year old little sister was able to handle the violence in this game, I'd say most teens should be fine.
Adult Written byda master April 9, 2008

One Amazing Game

The Long running Resident Evil Series has been quite the series to say the least. I haven't played any other Resident Evil titles than this one. I have heard about the others however. Even if you are not a fan of the series you will most definitely still enjoy this game. A great story-line, engaging characters, amazing action, and great plot twists are what makes the game so great. I would highly recommend this to any gamer looking for an awesome action title or a really fun game.
Adult Written byjujuzeking April 9, 2008