Parent and Kid Reviews on

Returnal

Returnal box shot: A woman in a spacesuit with a pistol, brow knit in determination.
Our Review

Based on 4 parent reviews

Sort by:

A clean, hard, challenging roguelike.

Returnal is a AAA roguelike game, where the protagonist shoots robots and alien-like beasts while collecting items in order to survive the punishing environment. Defeated enemies essentially dissolve and leave behind gold currency. Aside from some occasional scary elements, most of which are very PG, the game is clean end-to-end. The punishing nature of the game requires persistence and adaptation, and the narrative and gameplay elements are excellent throughout. A game for "big kids" and teens, mostly because of the tone and difficulty.

"Souls-like" gameplay, undoubtedly a hard game.

I would rate this mostly for the difficulty of the game, since I don't expect many kids to be pleased with the nature of losing again and again, or having to spend an eternity trying to get past a boss enemy. If your kid is a pro gamer, even they will have a hard time with this game. Most of the time, the enemies will be quite scary-looking and fluids will spill out when you shoot them. Infrequent profanity includes "hell" and "bastard". If you can handle some punishments, then this game will certainly give them to you!

Tricky game, Ok for all

Good game nothing that needs to be age restricted but it is quite challenging. Other than some weird and kind of scary looking alien enemies the game is fine for almost any age. I really enjoyed it although it is quite a challenge so watch out!

Tricky game, Ok for all