Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Rock Band

A fantastic music game for the entire family.

Adult Written byMi3 February 8, 2011

Adult Written byTom_Gamer_Tom June 22, 2010

Less Mature than Guitar hero.

Rock band being a music game is obviously going to have Violent, Sexual and full of language music. Its easy to play when you get used to it. Making it much better to play on. Its educational because of knowing how songs work, May even help with fingerwork on the Guitar. The violence is just in the music, None on screen. Just the lyrics. Some are mature and disturbing for kids. The sexual is also just in the lyrics too. But you may have women in the videos quite unusually dressed shall we say. The language is obvious in songs and everything Its a great family game.

Educational Value
Parent of a 5, 8, and 12 year old Written bybeckyhall April 9, 2008

Fun for the whole family!!

We got Guitar Hero for christmas, and at my brother-in-law's urging, traded it up for Rock Band. Wow - what a great game! My husband, brothers-in-law, nephews (8 and 13), and sons (8 and 12) love to play, and frankly, so do I! I'm a musician, and I think it's great that the game rates your singing regarding pitch (although not vocal quality) and your playing on rhythm. You really have to have a good sense of the beat to play guitar, bass & drums. As far as simulating actual instruments, the drums are the closest. The bass & guitar don't involve shifting positions, but you do play chords with more than one finger. The variety of songs is great, with plenty available to download at a reasonable price. Several difficulty levels, tutorials, and practice sessions foster success. Success is rewarded quickly with further options unlocked. Shopping in the Rock Shop is fun - new clothes, hairdos, tattoos, even new instruments. The only questionable thing for my 8yo is the language of some songs, and he's the band's singer. But other than that we LOOOOVE it!
Adult Written byAnnoyedteenguy June 10, 2010
This game is actually very good. The only problem is if your parents look at the RB2 review, your in for trouble. Getting the game only might be a good financial decision, but the Rock Band One instruments are old, cruddy, and outdated. They are not easy to use as the guitar has a strum bar that is hard to move correctly, the drums are wired and cant have cymbals. This is a game that is good if you have the rock band two instruments, so if you have RB2, and not this, your good to go. If not, get the full band set of rock band two, and this.

Educational Value
Adult Written byracingrough April 9, 2008

Rock Band

IT Rocks in every way I give it 3 stars so if you got a 3 or 360 its cool Sex issue not so cool 3S STARS
Adult Written byJmisss April 9, 2008

Great

Rock is what made this world great and this shows everyone some of the classic rock songs of our time there is a couple songs not to play but i think that this game is fine for most ages
Adult Written byCreedfreak April 9, 2008

Amazing

This is a game people will be talking about in 20 years! It is one of the best ideas for a video game ever! You really think you are playing and instrument or singing in a band! Language is no problem since they bleep out swear words. This is a video game every Xbox 360, PS3, and PS2 owner should have! If you haven't gotten this for your kids, go get it right now!
Adult Written byStephen431 April 9, 2008

A game the entire family can have fun with.

What a wonderful game! I know of several families that play this game together. Parents and Children having fun together. I've played with my wife and her parents. Very enjoyable. I would highly recommend the bundle given compatibility issues with other manufacturers instruments. I had a faulty guitar controller, and EA shipped a new one within 3 days. Musical instrument sponsors make some sense given the context of the game and are not terribly overt. Very small labels on the guitar controller and a few brands on items that can be easily removed in the customization screens. Future downloadable tracks might be a concern for bad language, but the included tracks had nearly all questionable language filtered out. It's been stated that someone progressing to expert level drums in rock band could would "know" how to play real drums is a bit of a stretch, but it could easily be seen as a tool for learning rhythm and tempo.