Kid reviews for Undertale

Satirical RPG endorses peaceful conflict resolution.

Teen, 15 years old Written bybakeranimator January 15, 2016

Hilarious Dialogue, Endearing and Memorable Characters, and a Brilliant Message Make this Indie Fantastic

This game... Gosh this game... Is there really anything else I can say about it that hasn't been said? Well, I guess I'll say it anyway. Where do I even begin with what makes this game so good? The story is raveled with a ridiculous amount of mystery, and there's a lot up for speculation. The humor is so ridiculously silly, that you can't help but giggle, perhaps burst in laughter. The soundtrack is gorgeous, combining classic 8-bit tracks, beautiful piano tracks, and just plain epic boss themes. The characters are so endearing! Even if they have their flaws, they all mean well, and are willing to become better people, er, monsters. While the fan-favorite is definitely Sans the Skeleton, and for good reason, I truly enjoyed EVERY character equally. The game breaks several cliches of the typical RPG. Excessive grinding is not necessary to complete the game (unless you're playing the Genocide route), the non-playable characters aren't just blank slates, and have meaningful or humorous things to say instead of game tips, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. The game's battle system is unique in that it involves your soul (represented by a red heart) floating around, avoiding obstacles. This "bullet-hell" mechanic is unique, in that it keeps each battle new and refreshing instead of boring and mundane. However, perhaps the best aspect of this game is it's message and how it's executed. In a world where even the most kid-friendly fodder of video games encourages killing your enemies, seeing them as nothing but obstacles, along comes this game to flip that trope on it's head! This game encourages you to listen to your misunderstood enemies, help them solve their problems, become friends with them, spreading peace in a world ruled by fear and evil. The best part, however, is that the game isn't completely one-sided. You CAN kill things if you want to, and the story route you go down if you choose to do so actually offers some interesting character insight. That being said, it's pretty clear what route the game wants you to take.
There are very few things I find wrong with this game. If anything, it's biggest problem is that it doesn't offer crystal clear direction to go down he preferred route. Due to this, I think it's best you take some outside advice before you play it. Heck, I'll give you some!
1. DO NOT KILL ANYONE! Seriously, there will be times where it seems like you cannot progress further into the game without killing your enemy. There will even be times where you have to fight. However, fighting is VERY RARE, as in, probably only once do you have to fight, but you NEVER have to kill. Sometimes, this will be as simple as continually trying to talk things through with a boss, or repeatedly hitting the MERCY button.
2. Talk to the main characters at EVERY opportunity. Before you head into a new area, your newly made friend might invite you to do something. Do that thing before you go anywhere else.

I was surprised at the questionable bits of content that Common Sense missed. It makes me think they didn't play through the whole game. The game has mild swearing including "sucks," "damn," "hell," and there's even one point where you encounter "p**s." Like I said, violence is discouraged, but you will still encounter a few intimidating enemies. Two words... OMEGA FLOWEY!!!! Oh gosh, the nightmares. There is some extremely subtle sexual innuendo. By subtle, I mean it would probably fly over the heads of most adults, let alone kids. Still, it's there. It should also be mentioned that there are a choice few of mild drug references, such as a dog that had been "smoking bones" and the words "cig" and "cigar" appear on a word search puzzle. That being said, I don't see the harm in letting a child as young as 10 playing it, but a slightly older person, probably a teen, would appreciate it more.
SMALL EDIT: Commensense, the boss fight you are referring to in the "Is It Any Good" section of this review is that of the character Undyne. You call Undyne a "him" in this section. Undyne is a girl. Here's some advice for you: When you review games, actually pay attention to details. The fact that you missed and/or ignored several examples of questionable content that I outlined in the original draft of this review was boggling enough. However, the fact that you didn't even care to get a major character's gender correct is just pathetic.

Teen, 14 years old Written byPapyrus Horaney June 12, 2016

Don't Let This Game Fool You

*SPOILERS*

This game is one of the best indie games ever made. Loveable characters, great battle mechanics, and a damn-good soundtrack. However, this game can be DARK. It's similar to Earthbound. On the outside, it's a quirky, lighthearted RPG. But once you play it for yourself, your emotional strings get pulled harder than the fight with Sans. This game was NOT made for children. There's mature themes, hard levels, and some imagery that might be unsettling for the young ones. However, one of the main selling points of this game are the routes. There are 3 of them, Pacifist, Genocide, or Neutral. Basically, you can kill everyone, spare everyone, or mix it up. But how is it emotional? Well, here's an example. In a mixed route in which you choose to kill everyone except for Papyrus (A friendly skeleton who bares similarity to Skeletor and is the brother of Sans) you have to kill one of his friends, Undyne (A fish-like creature who's a member of the royal guard) and Papyrus, being the innocent character that he is, has no idea that Undyne is gone. He thinks she's on vacation. He says that he really misses Undyne and would wish that she would just send a post-card. If you get emotional easily, don't play this game. Otherwise, you've got yourself an unforgettable experience that will most certainly leave an impact on you.

Kid, 12 years old January 21, 2016

Best Indie Game

This game is brilliant. The only RPG where you don't have to kill anyone, and based off what happens if you do kill everything, you probably don't want to. If you take the True Pacifist route, you'll be fine. I've never had so much emotional feelings towards a video game before.
Swearing: The only swear words that are used are "Hell" and "Damn". Nothing big to worry about.
Violence: This should be obvious. If you don't hurt people, there is no violence, if you do, there is.
Horror: If you take the pacifist route, you will stay away from most horror elements. DO NOT TAKE THE GENOCIDE ROUTE IF YOU DON'T LIKE HORROR. The songs get slowed down as you kill more things, it gets really unsettling. If you manage to kill literally everything, and you boot up the game again...it's just a black screen, with wind howling in the background. I mean, what did you expect? You killed everything, there's nothing left. You can destroy the world, then sell your soul to play again, but many things are changed.

Other than that, this is a great game, I highly recommend it.

Teen, 13 years old Written byStellarTiger292 June 1, 2016

Highly addictive RPG parodies online culture

First off, this is one of the strangest games that ever played. The only game that was weirder than this that I've played is Scott Cawthon's The Desolate Hope (which is also amazing). Some of the weird aspects of Undertale include but are not limited to: Flowey (a talking flower that is generally considered the main antagonist of the game), the Amalgamates (fallen creatures that were revived by magic so strong that it caused them to fuse), and the game's meta-fictional story in which the ability to save the game is a major plot point. The biggest part of this addictive game is that it parodies online culture. It makes social media look like what it really is: silliness and ridiculousness. The game does not just make fun of social media; it also parodies popular, big name video games (GTA, Call of Duty, Pokemon), with the fact that violence and killing is a choice, not a requirement. And that choice SERIOUSLY matters. The game, which has a pacifist theme, tries to steer you away from killing. If you do choose to kill, whoever you killed is DEAD. They do not come back. Every action plays a part in the story. There are three main endings you can get: Neutral (mix of killing and sparing), True Pacifist (Only sparing; Neutral Route must be completed first), and Genocide (only killing; incredibly painful). The Genocide Route does give some useful information about the character of Flowey's background. However, due to the painfulness of that Route, it may just be best to watch it done on YouTube. The rest of the game is best enjoyed blind. Also, the info about Flowey from the Genocide Route cannot be well understood without the Pacifist Route. The Pacifist Route is the true story of the game and explains clouded information from the other Routes. Also the final bosses of each route (Omega Flowey for Neutral, Asriel Dreemurr for Pacifist, and Sans the skeleton for Genocide) are amazing. Sans is incredibly hard (probably designed to steer the player away from Genocide) and is unique in that appears more like Sans fighting the fallen human instead of the fallen human fighting Sans. Flowey's boss fight is a wild, frantic, and disturbing bullet hell with awesome music. However, the best boss fight is the Asriel Dreemurr boss fight. It may be easy (which I like, as I am not a hardcore gamer), but it and the music are very epic and make a perfect climactic fight. The only violence is mild JRPG violence, though sometimes Flowey's sadism can be disturbing. There is a celebrity robot named Mettaton that calls himself sexy and parodies Hollywood culture. A straight couple has marital issues due to the death of their two children. There is a also a successful lesbian couple that almost kisses before the fallen human's adopted mother stops them. There is mild language (damn, piss, rot in hell), but it is not much of a concern. People that smart humor are in luck here because of the game's parodying of online and Hollywood culture. People that love stupid humor are also in luck because of the two skeleton brothers, Sans and Papyrus, who serve as comic relief characters. Naive Papyrus is always annoyed with Sans for making bad jokes (which Sans is obsessed with). Overall, this a strange, addictive, and satirical game that is definitely worth trying. 5 stars.

Teen, 13 years old Written byYes man March 15, 2016
Kid, 11 years old January 15, 2016

Interesting and unique RPG

This quirky title has downright charming characters and an interesting storyline that will leave you hooked, and the concept of "a friendly RPG where no one has to die" is intriguing and well presented in the game, where they actually show some realistic consequences when you kill a monster. It encourages peacefully resolving conflicts between monsters and the player and having the choice to either befriend or eliminate the "enemy." This is overall a whimsically made game and can be recommended to anybody, as no gaming expirience is exactly required; unless you decide to go the violent path.

Teen, 13 years old Written byMinibaconcat May 1, 2019

Why do parents hate it?!

I personally love Undertale. If I read a review about how the game "changed their kids" or its "characters are demonic," those are so wrong! If you look up the character Chara, it probably will bring up a scary picture a girl holding a knife. Even though that comes up, thats only the fandom! NONE OF THAN HAS TO DO WITH THE REAL GAME! Sure, the game sometimes curses stuff like damn, hell, and crap, but thats kinda it. It only shows kissing once in the end of the game. Even though the genocide route is very dark, when you do it, the characters warn you to stop and do the right thing. It has some mild content in the game, but other than that, the game should be fine for anyone 10 years and up. Most of the time, it depends on the kid.

Teen, 14 years old Written byItsNoga June 13, 2016

Amazing game. very sfw, though can be disturbing at times

This is game is definitely one of, if not my most favorite game of all times. I won't go into explaining much about it since there is so much to explore in this game, every little word can be a spoiler. I will just say this:
The game only contains violence if the player chooses to use such. Even then, it only contains discussion and mentions of violence, while letting you know you ARE committing violence, but never graphically showing blood or showing graphic fight scenes.
The game has absolutely no sexual content. It gets about as sexual as one kiss on the cheek in the end credits. So that's something that shouldn't be on your mind.
Lastly, this game does contain some dialogue that could e disturbing for young children, but I think will be alright for kids 12 and up, and even as young as 11 if they are mature for their age. This game is very deep and makes you feel and think very deeply, things that young children might not have the mental capacity to do.

Teen, 13 years old Written byKoditheInkling June 8, 2016

Ohh yes.

Ah, this game!!! Words can't describe how good this game is. The characters are so lovable and awesome, and the world is so vibrant. The way that Toby references other games is actually really cool. And the fact that it takes a break from the normal RPG setting, where killing the enemy is the only way out, is what makes this game so unique. I have played this game for hours on end, eating bad food, bearing through Sans's puns, smiling with Undyne, and even crying when finishing my pacifist run. Although I wasn't too happy when I had to delete my save file entirely and re-download it after my genocide run...

Teen, 15 years old Written byiamtrash March 5, 2016

Great game!

Let me just start by saying; this game is awesome. It really makes sense that the game would have as big of a following as it does. What makes it so special and different from other games is the characters. I mean, just take a look at Papyrus. He's a quirky, adorable, cinnamon roll (Teen lingo for 'Innocent') skeleton. If you play a neutral run, killing some, and sparing others, the game seems lighthearted and fun. Although, if you do a pacifist run, not killing anyone, then, it gets pretty sad. There are a few disturbing scenes, no matter what ending you get. There is minor swearing, but it never gets any worse than "damn" and "hell" Ultra-religious parents might want to take caution, as Undyne is very very homosexual, (contrary to the main review, Undyne is a 'she.') although decent parents shouldn't worry about that. There are a few innuendos here and there, but none that are at all explicit. They'll go over kid's heads, and provide entertainment for adults. All in all, this game is wonderful!

Teen, 13 years old Written byRaythegray August 5, 2019

Undertale is a Great game but if you’re younger than 13 stay away from the fandom!!!!

The game is absolutely wonderful it’s funny it’s kind hearted and it has wonderful messages about love and peace yes if you go to genocide route you will find scary stuff it’s main goal is to teach people that violence is never the answer and you should always treat everyone with love and kindness BUT you’re under the age of 13 you need to stay away from the FANDOM!!! It has a lot of adults in it but once you reach around the age of 13 it’s really easy to understand what’s going on at the fandom for parents I suggest showing this game to a 13-year-old it’s a really great way to show them that violence is never going to be the answer especially in this day of age The fan base once you reach the age of 13 is perfectly OK as long as you stay away from certain things you’ll be OK your kids turning into a teenager they understand about suicide and depression and things like that they might even be experiencing it themselves The fandom does take with the game teachers to heart it’s a loving and good Fanbase I just suggest the people who are a little younger don’t see it just yet The game overall is wonderful and you should definitely let your kid play it it’s a wonderful way to teach them kindness and respect and your actions have consequences especially for kids who didn’t pick this up early on I recommend it to all parents who want to teach their kids about how life is hard and it’s not black-and-white it’s all kinds of different colors also has wonderful teachings about how LGBT plus relationships are perfectly OK heck there’s even two lesbians who kiss at the end of course it’s just a tiny pic on the cheek nothing really that sexual their relationship is adorable and one of the characters even has good lessons about how to deal with anxiety and how someone’s always going to be there for you and love you the characters are wonderful the story is beautiful and everything about this game just screams LOVE❤️ thank you for taking the time to read this have a wonderful day

Kid, 8 years old January 12, 2018

Amazing Game!

This game is amazing and I find nothing wrong with the game. All of the characters are joyful, and fun. Usually in every game, if you had the option to kill someone, you would just kill him/her and not care about it, but in Undertale, you feel bad about killing monsters often (sometimes on the genocide run) Sure, This game may has a few swear words, but still. It’s a good game after all however I only recommend 7+ due to some of the humor and violence not being understood by younger audiences.
Teen, 13 years old Written byRandomFandomNerd37 May 28, 2020

A Clever and Funny Indie Game teaching Kids Peace and that Violence isn't the Answer to your Problems

Minor Spoilers

Undertale is a beautiful game filled with heart and emotion, sure to make you both laugh and cry. One of the things I adore about this game is that it lets you make the choice to spare lives. While in most games, killing monsters is encouraged and rewarded, Undertale lets you see the story from their side, and allows you to choose a path of peace. With a large cast of admirable and amazing characters, each with their own quirks and personalities, the choice is yours whether to befriend or kill all of them. If you choose to take the pacifist route, the game rewards you with a happy ending. The neutral route gives you a number of different endings depending on who you killed/didn’t befriend. Genocide route can give you a disturbing ending, making you feel horrible for your actions, and the characters will never let you forget what you have done even when you restart and play the game again (The characters also remember things you have done in neutral and pacifist routes and make references if you play the game again).
But the main goal of this game is to teach you that violence is never the answer and that everyone is equal and should be treated so. It teaches children about the value of friendship and life. It is clever and funny, has a gorgeous soundtrack, and the animation is unique and amazing.
This game does have some minor language and a few scary parts as well as some violence, and quite a bit breaking of the fourth wall which may scare some younger children (Although most of the scary and violent parts only appear if you decide to kill everyone in the game). There are parts in the game where you go on a “date” with a few of the characters (Nothing bad, only for comedy) and a small kissing scene (Just a peck on the cheek). There are a few times where the characters mention cigars or smoking, and one minor character smokes a cigar. There are a few references that will fly over kids heads. The player can also go into a bar, but there is no drinking although upon reading some dialogue some characters in the bar may appear to be drunk. Some parents might want to note that two of the characters are homosexual (There is a number of dialogue where one character expresses having a crush on the other and stuff like that, a part where you roleplay to help her confess her love, and a kiss on the cheek in the credits, but it isn’t a main theme). There are also some emotional concepts that younger children may not understand (Not bad, they just may not get it). Another note: The fandom for this game gives it a really bad rep. Please stay away from it unless you are older than 13. Fanart and fanfiction for this game goes way beyond PG. But besides everything, this game is a masterpiece that encourages peace and teaches valuable lessons.

Teen, 13 years old Written byCyanistic December 27, 2018

Masterpiece

A masterpiece.

This game has a one-of-a-kind story, innovative gameplay, and pacific positive message.

The game starts by telling you the background of the story, which described a war between the humans and a race called "monsters," resulting with the monsters being sealed underground with a magical barrier. The reasons and motives of the war is told later in the game, but that's spoilers, so I'm not saying for now. The game innovated RPG concepts with the "act" and "mercy" options. In fights, you can choose either be kind, use act and mercy to talk your way out, or to fight like playing a normal RPG game. Although the choice is yours, the game did more than urging you not to fight. The story is also very emotional and likable, with vivid characters and compelling plot. There are some scary parts though, such as the final boss of the normal ending and if you choose the genocide route. A lot of elements are also humorous. Some minor swear words and violence.

One of the best game I've ever played.

Teen, 13 years old Written byadventure line July 1, 2016

it's your choice on whether to make the game scary or not

there are three routes you can take in the game: the true pacifist route, the neutral route, and the genocide route.
true pacifist route: this route happens when you spare all the monsters and never kill any of them. this is when the game focuses on the positive messages such as friendship. it's considered to be the "true" route and has the happy ending. recommended for younger kids (ages 4ish and up)
neutral route: this is when you kill and spare monsters. this is when the game also has the positive messages. both the neutral and the true pacifist route have a final boss battle in the end that's kind of scary so be aware of that. recommended for slightly older kids (ages 8ish and up)
genocide route: this is when you kill every single monster. the game teaches you empathy in this route. has a scary jump scare in the end so be careful of that. also once you do the genocide route, if you try to do the true pacifist route the ending will be...different in a creepy way. recommended for older kids (ages 12 and up).
overall, it's a really fun game with lots of characters with unique personalities. just be careful of what route you or your child takes.

Teen, 16 years old Written byGenericGamertag March 9, 2016

Great game - can be disturbing at times

First off, let me just say that Undertale is an amazing game. While it might seem like nothing but a fun, lighthearted RPG on the surface, it can get very dark and sometimes outright disturbing, whether you choose to kill or not.

Choosing to kill will be sure to make you feel absolutely AWFUL for what you have done, and even choosing to not kill introduces some pretty disturbing events.

It's never really gets outright scary, but it can get rather creepy, especially in the "True Pacifist" ending.
Teen, 16 years old Written byCole Complains February 19, 2019

A shining diamond of an RPG

There will never be another game quite like “Undertale”. The player is thrown into an unfamiliar world and must journey back home. On the way, the player meets many quirky, lovable characters that they can choose to kill or befriend. Killing a lovable character may sound needlessly dark, and that’s the point. The game exposes gaming tropes, such as the rewarding of such morbid acts, and pokes fun at them. For example, though killing is an option, it is not as rewarding as pacifism. Not many other games have been known to do this. The game’s unique twists and characters have gathered it a large following, which has often been labeled as the world’s worst fan base. “Undertale” is often unfairly judged because of it’s fan base which is, let’s face it, mostly toxic. I personally don’t think the game should be criticized for it’s following. All that aside, Toby Fox has clearly poured his heart and soul into this game. I recommend it to anyone who hasn’t played it, and I think it’s worth the $10.

Kid, 9 years old October 14, 2016

THIS GAME IS THE BEST IN THE GALAXY!!!!!!!!!

This.Game.Is.Amading!!!!!! I Would die for this game the first time i played it i had to play it again. Ive had it for 2 weeks and played 115 Hours of it allready. This Game is Amazing C'mon Parents Just Buy It For Your Kids IT IS AMAZING!

Teen, 14 years old Written byAkocur123 April 9, 2016

Great game, has some mature themes.

Undertale is an amazing game, and it's one of the best ones I've ever played. While the game has some great messages as it supports pacifism and conflict resolution, it is still a game that featured lots of violence, mild language, and disturbing content. If you play the game without killing anyone on a True Pacifist route, it is probably fine for a 10 year old because it shows you how talking through problems instead of fighting is more effective, but if you decided to kill everyone on the Genocide route, things instantly go PG-13 as the entire game becomes a murder simulator with a hell of a lot of feelings and heartlessness. Besides that, it isn't too bad. There is some mild language with words like "hell", "damn", "piss", and "screw it", but they are very brief. There is talk about relationships with some sexual references, especially since one of the main characters in a lesbian. One scene has a man smoking from a cigar, while another takes place in a restaurant with characters that act presumably drunk. The only other problem, which is one of the biggest, is some of the disturbing content. One of the final bosses in the True Pacifist and Neutral routes is an extremely disturbing, amorphous, monster that is definitely shocking for a young player, that is perfected with some crazy music. Also, on the True Pacifist route, you explore an underground laboratory near the end that has a very eerie feel with some creatures that are made up of morphed together citizens that a very saddening to see and very strange. Besides all of the things I mentioned, it's not THAT bad for kids, but there definitely some shocking and disturbing things in this game that can easily scar someone younger than 12.

Kid, 11 years old January 9, 2021

Probably the perfect indie game ever made

Undertale is the best steam can get, it has everything! from funny jokes to memorable and funny characters, an absolutely beautiful good ending and a scary bad ending. however it should be played by older kids due to the swars and blood in the genocide run.