Parent reviews for Watch Dogs: Legion

Mature adventure brings hacktivism to jolly old London.

Adult Written byRobert J. November 1, 2020

A parent's thoughts about Watch Dogs: Legion

I researched this game mainly because my child(aged 15 years) asked me to buy it. Since I researched the content in this game and I thought I would save some parents some time, and make a review on commonsensemedia.org. All of the inappropriate content is listed from the most severe, to the most minor.

Language: I saw the beginning of the game. The language was ridiculous! There wasn't one conversation clean enough for anyone to repeat! I researched thinking language like this was used throughout, and I was pleasantly surprised. The beginning was something called a scripted-cutscene. Language only occurs in a cutscene that everyone must see. Since the game gives you all the freedom to make your own choices and decisions, there are very little scripted-cutscenes, therefore making the language infrequent but very strong. I was still upset that the developers liberally put language throughout as it is easily my biggest pet-peeve. 4/5.

Violence: 50% of the time will be spent doing non-violent such as driving and recruiting people. The other 50% is violent activities. There are two types of violence, lethal and non-lethal. Non-lethal weapons are encouraged and the player will likely use non-lethal weapons most of the time. Sometimes use of lethal weapons is required. Even so when I watched my son play it, I was surprised to see no blood or gore. Based on the commonsensemedia.org review I expected the lethal-violence to be intense and bloody. Violence is mild and the only time lethal violence is required is in the beginning. The beginning is highest level violence you will ever see. I still thought the violence in some scripted-cutscenes had a slight spike in the average level of violence the player would see, but my statement of no gore and very little blood still stands. 3/5, max 4/5.

Drinking/Smoking: Some characters smoke and there are references to drugs and Marijuana. Your character doesn't take part in these but they are relatively frequent. 3/5(no more no less)

Sex:(Not an issue for anyone above the age of 12) I will not talk about this in detail because it may not be appropriate for children reading this. I My son is already 2 hours in and I didn't see a single sexual reference. I researched and found that human trafficking is mentioned and I watched the scene of which it was mentioned. It is likely your child won't know it is until he becomes an adult. Even so the reference is very mild and some player may not come across it because as I stated earlier the player makes their own choices and decisions.Sex is 1/5(no more no less)

Overall this a very mature game with mature themes. While I thought that no section crossed 4/5, the theme of the entire story is very disturbing because it talks about violent activism throughout. I feel that it paints a dark and disturbing picture unlike the vibrant watch dogs 2. The only positive I found in this game is, there are many puzzles throughout the combat and the player uses creativity throughout. Thank you and have great day!

Adult Written byKaren M. November 2, 2020

A parent's guide to watch dogs legion.

It is very sad that most game companies aren't willing to make puzzle games without violent attributes. I will give the developers credit but at the end the day, all the children come for the action and the shooting. I thought this game was mild compared to other action games I have seen. Most of the violence is non-lethal which is a very nice addition. I was surprised to see lethal violence being represented without grotesque and bloody attributes. I didn't have a problem with the violence. The preposterous amounts of profanity used in the beginning gives the parent watching, a baleful experience. Surprisingly I didn't notice any profanity after that, making the language much more of a minuscule issue rather than a conspicuous one. I didn't notice any sex at all whatsoever. If sex is there, it is very unobtrusive. I noticed some smoking but it is a commonplace in our world, and it should be fine as long as your child knows smoking is not admissible action. I can see how this game is charming for teenagers and that precisely why I gave it a 4/5 stars. I felt the puzzles and creativity involved in this game made it sui generis. If your child is a fan of the mission impossible series, implore you to get this game for them. While it may seem vague, its fun and over-the-top action and puzzle solving feels so much like the movies series. You feel like Luther when hacking into servers and drones and you feel like Tom cruise when you are going into crazy car chases and driving. It feels like mission impossible and this game are a match made in heaven. Thank you for reading this review and I hope this helped you fellow parents! Have a great rest of your day!

Adult Written byJimmy78 November 7, 2020

should not be an 18+

i have had this game for a while now and i have no clue why it is 18+ it should be a 12. whilst there are guns you don't use them a lot and it is a great game to play overall, the only bad thing about it are the takedown which are a bit over exaggerated.

Adult Written byJoanh543 April 5, 2021

Great for everyone barely any violence or any thing bad

It’s ok for almost anyone great game and pretty much any kid can play

Adult Written byJamesReview November 15, 2020

Best game I have played ever.

I am a very supportive dad to my children and I rarely let them play games like this but in my option I think this game should me a 12. In this game there are swear words but they can easily be blocked in a setting in the game and this is one of the reasons I think this game can be played by younger kids. There is it much violence as I thought I would say it has the same amount of violence as games like marvel Spider-Man and Battlefront 1&2 which are games my kids play.So I think this game is suitable for age 12 and above. There are also great messages in the game for kids to do the right thing and be the good guy instead of going round and killing everybody.

Adult Written byJohn123smith November 3, 2020

Shouldn’t be a 18. Watchdogs legions

Not sure why it’s an 18 you barley use a gun most of its racing there is no blood overall a great game

Adult Written bylezzgoooo November 2, 2020

The game is craaaazzy good

It so much fun cuztomizing yo hacker. It is super cool to wear a pig outfit and something like that. People in my school(online) are saying this going to be super popular like fortnite, GTA V, and apex legends. Some are calling the "much much less inappropriate GTA". I don't think it will be that popular, like I mean sell 250 million copies, but I think it will outsell watch dogs 2 which was really popular. I don't think that it is like gta though, because you are the good guy, not the bad guy, sure I mean you do have a lot of freedom but you are the guuuud guy. It is so wierd because it was really popular at launch, but now it is like ultra popular and it is already a few days from launch. It is so wierd that on November 2, a SCHOOl day, this game would be so popular. I mean it only became popular this afternoon? Soo sooo wierd. Anyways toodalluuuu.

Adult Written byAssiioh November 2, 2020

Its like mission impossible

This game is a lot like mission impossible. This game blew up today and has gone INSANE! Everyone now wants watch dogs legion. It is November 2 and now everybody knows what watch dogs legion is! Get it now! It is basically mission impossible, with more puzzles and bit less action!

Privacy & Safety
Adult Written bynancyptrs November 1, 2020

great game about activism

i got this game for my child (11) and she loves it while in the base game there is cursing, it can be disabled in the settings, while violence is portrayed it is minimal and never done by the protagonist, there is little references to sex of any at all, this game has a great message of activism and standing up for what is right, overall i think this games is a good buy for children 11 and up

Adult Written byPlayername123 October 30, 2020

Amazing game best I’ve ever played

This is one of the best games I have ever played and is suitable for over 11 year olds and I cannot wait to play it on the new xbox
Adult Written byKatrenia McMillon October 29, 2020

Good Game for 13+

My child has been very into this, I watched some gameplay on YouTube, and I think I can provide some good info to most parents. This game is very sci-fi like, and it has some good role model/messages. Some sci-fi elements include drones, and advanced technology. Some messages include stuff like protecting your views, and standing up for your rights. There is some gore, but there is not a lot and I'm not super afraid of it. There is a lot of swearing, but it can be disabled in the settings. This is a little like GTA, as it is a "open-world" game, but there is no sex/drugs or any of the "bad" content in the game. My child began playing it today and he has really enjoyed it. I recommend this for any child 13 or above.

Adult Written byApisan May 16, 2020

Clean version of GTA 5

This game is just what many wanted. A game like GTA 5 without anything too inappropriate. This game offers just that. There is only moderate violence and tells a very good story. There is no sex, which is one of the reasons why I love this game. It also relates to real life. It shows that hacking in the game can easily be done in real life and it makes the players more aware of hackers.

Adult Written byIm An Over Prot... February 11, 2021

ESRB Are Liars!

ESRB Are liars! They say there are Sex, Drugs, And Drinking! There's no sex, no drugs and drinking can easily be avoided! In fact, it promotes activism! Great Game for kids!

Adult Written byKames April 13, 2021

Great!

Watch dogs is a really good game for 10-11 up with the puzzles and low level of violence and lethal is rare and not brutal there is little to no sexual references and even when there is they won’t realise till they’re a lot older there is reference to drugs but you as the player have nothing to do with it there is a lot of swearing normally however can be turned off in setting it has a good message and isn’t hard to understand it is definitely 10-11 up how the rating is 18 I don’t know this game is a lot like games such as Star Wars battlefront (all of them) and other partly violent games with no major blood basically in Simularity with gta5 but a positive message and not being a criminal I have a feeling the other reviews are fake because I played it through and some things that you apparently do I didn’t find so I think you have to pay to get that mission so in conclusion ages 8-11 and up seem pretty good

Adult Written byAwentia April 13, 2021

Love this game.

I absolutely love this game. But, and here it comes i think it should be 16+ not because of the language or the shooting. But the parts with Clan kelly, they trade in human organs and there are several places where bodies are seen partially or fully wrapped in garbage bags, covered in blood. This to me is pretty disturbing for young minds. Only that would make me say 16 plus already.

(Also when you see the specs of people walking around some say "using drugs" or "sex worker" and some other "disturbing" things, to me thats fine since alot of kids dont even pay attenion to this, but i thought i needed to mention this to write a full and good review)

Adult Written byPzappyTheThunderbolt December 15, 2020

Adult Written byAnonymous account November 22, 2020

Really fun but kind of dark

I have seen my child play this game and i think it looks really great but its also pretty dark. There isnt much violence in the game with a bit of blood as you kill an enemy but its nothing worse than seen in other games. There are also takedowns but they are only punching someone a few times or shooting them. There are a few dark missions in the game where for example, you go into an organ harvesting facility or you have to navigate your way in the dark with frightening sounds all around you. There is also frequent swearing with the f,s and c word used alot. You can also freely drink at bars arond the map, and your screen gets distored as a result. On the whole, the game is great but i wouldnt let anyone over the age of 15 play it.

Adult Written bycarboiiii November 2, 2020

SUuper Awesome

alright i am not an adult. but this game is alot like mission impossible! there is like tonnesss of hacking and over the top car chases. it has no blood and is much more comical and funny. you can steal mail