All parent member reviews for 10 Things I Hate About You

Parent of a 7, 10, and 12 year old Written byMrsReb16 February 3, 2010

Great movie

Love it! It was a great movie
Adult Written bymoviemadness December 29, 2009

A Fun "Let's Waste Time" Movie

A so-so teen comedy. Nothing too bad for the high school set, and charming enough for a rainy day girls' night. The plot is predictable, and there are a few iffy moments, including a table dance, a fight, and a very nasty "player" boy. Altogether okay for 13+
Parent of a 11 and 13 year old Written byCommon critic January 21, 2011

Love it

My two kids love this show!
Parent of a 12 year old Written byphillyfemme444 February 3, 2011

Highschoolers have seen it already, but shoo the middle school out of the room!

Because I love Taming of the Shrew, I like this movie for myself. I also know that the high school behavior depicted in this movie is typical of most high school behavior, so I would not have a problem with my 15 and 17 year old watching it to get the story of Shrew before tackling the Shakespeare version. However, my 12 year old is not allowed to watch this because it models behavior that approves of drinking, poor attitudes toward parents, sexual overtones that are inappropriate for young and middle teesn, and nudity. I do like that somecharacters do show virtue and adherence to a standard.
Adult Written byMature-teen September 10, 2010

Great female characters

Everyone should see this. An oldie but goodie. One of my favorite movies, it has strong female role models. Who know how to stand up for what they believe in and up against guys.
Adult Written byMBC January 24, 2010

Don't let your KIDS watch it!

I cannot believe that this movie has a rating for kids of 13 years old, and that there are even parents that think its a great movie for their 13 year olds! Come on! It's an awful movie for kids under 15, at least. What's up with people thinking 13 year olds are teenagers and so we can put them in the same bag as 15 year olds and 18 year olds and expose them to the same things? That's crazy!
Parent of a 13 year old Written bylinalool123 January 7, 2011

fdgsdfg

i love it
Adult Written byMovieLover4Lyfe February 9, 2010

Perfect for teens!

I watched this movie and I loved it! I thought Kat was a smart, strong-willed, good role model. Her only drawback is how confrontational she can be. Also she lifts her shirt and shows off her chest to a teach to get a classmate out of detention, so beware, although no nudity is seen. Bianca, Kat's younger sister isn't a bad character, she just wants so much to be one of the shallow, vapid 'popular' girls, that she can sometimes come off as weak. There's some bad language but most children these days hear worse just walking through the halls of school. The drinking in the movie and the making fun of the less popular students are the major drawbacks, but even these things can't subtract from this great movie!
Parent Written bymommygirl987654321 February 13, 2010

I remember this movie...

I watched this when I was 13 and there was nothing that I havn't learned that was allready very inappropriate. My older daughters love this movie and so do I. Watch it.
Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byCaoimheMorana September 9, 2010

14 and up

I have been watching this movie for years and it is just your stereotypical teen movie with a Shakespearean twist. It's funny and shows that all you need to be is yourself.
Parent Written byStepMomSterToo January 11, 2011

This movie is okay for older teens. I think once you bridge the sex talk, and if you are on the same wavelength about drinking and drug use, there's nothing wrong with this movie. It's harmless. There is recreational drinking and sex references. Talk to your kids. Know what they're thinking.
Adult Written byPanya April 9, 2008

Not for kiddies

As an adult, I really enjoyed this movie, but I don't think young children should see it at all. There are way too many sexual and drug/alcohol references, and lots of put-downs.
Adult Written byGhcool April 9, 2008

Adult Written byMamma B September 28, 2011

Great Story with a Modern Twist

I remember watching this when I was twelve. It is a great chick-flick that surprisingly the whole family will love (just not your little ones). Some parents need to get a grip and know that nowadays, kids know a whole lot more than they do. We hear it all in school so there's no need for 'a talk' about the subject matter. It's perfectly fine for 5th-6th grade and up. Just know what you and your kids are comfortable with.
Adult Written byMr. Susan April 22, 2012

Worth watching

One fantastic thing that I think has not been addressed by the other review is that this film offers an excellent chance to highlight the differences in gender roles, particularly in contrast with its Shakespearean inspiration. The character of Kat offers some relief from the usual weak female roles populating teen movies. This film is also simply a fun way to introduce younger audiences with Shakespeare. It highlights the main themes of 'The Taming of the Shrew' without getting too academic!
Adult Written byChrissy505 June 20, 2009

LOVED IT!!!!!!

OMG this is my new fave movie! I didn't know how good it was but my mom said it was good so I bought it off of iTunes and I loved it!!!!! It's so funny and the actors and actresses are really good!!!!!!!!!!
Adult Written byamollo01 April 9, 2008

Parent of a 12 year old Written bycrankylibrarian January 4, 2014

Shakesperare based comedy stands on its own

Julia Stiles and a heartbreakingly young Heath Ledger play a high school Kate and Petruchio in this clever adaptation of _The Taming of the Shrew_. "Kat" is an assertive teen feminist, terrifying her teachers and (brainless) male classmates with her acerbic wit. In order to date her rather vapid younger sister, new kid Cameron bribes "Patrick" to date Kat. Of course Pat's a sweet natured romantic under his bad boy swagger, and he and Kat soon realize they're made for each other. Watch for Patrick's football field serenade to Kat: "You're Just too Good to Be True". Mild concerns in the teen comedy tradition, all of the teachers are either incompetent or uncaring; the one possible exception is Kat's African American English teacher who openly insults his students.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 June 2, 2012

10 things i hate about you

learning to think for herself in the future. And when one of the characters decides to drink tequila at a party, she ends up dancing in an embarassing fashion and then throwing up in front of the boy she likes.Families can talk about how realistic the portrayal of teen life is or isn't.
Parent Written byMommyMovieReviews May 1, 2012

10 Things I 'Like' About You

I loved this movie, but not for anyone under 15. There are a few characters who are good role models, they stand up for themselves instead of giving in to peer pressure and societys 'guidelines.' That said one of these characters also flashes a teacher to get a boy out of trouble, no nudity, but be ready to talk about how doing that is WRONG! I will definitely be waiting until my children are old enough to understand all the references to sex and that the partying shown in the movie are bad choices. So, If you're an adult I'd say to watch this movie, because despite the blatant sexual references this is a cute adaption of 'Taming of the Shrew.'