Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for 101 Dalmatians (Live Action)

Engaging live-action canine caper has some peril, pratfalls.

Adult Written byMommyMovieReviews May 1, 2012

101 adorable puppies!

While the original animated version will always be my favorite, I thought this remake was very well done. Cruella is even more frightening so watch out with the younger children, but they will love seeing all the adorable puppies!

Parent of a 17 and 17 year old Written bypoppinsfan August 14, 2015

Adult Written bydmcmomwife April 9, 2008

Classic, but dramatic

I am letting my four year old watch this and I haven't actually ever seen it. It was getting too intense for him after the dogs had the puppies and Cruella came barging in yelling making the lightning and thunder crack. He tells me "don't worry, mama, I'm not scared of anything..." but as he watches the Cruella parts, he's hiding. I am just fast forwarding through those.
Adult Written byMovieLover4Lyfe May 26, 2010

Remake is just adorable!

The original version will always hold a special place in viewers hearts, but this remake was very well done. It doesn't distort the original like some remakes have been known to do. I would warn that Cruella is even more wicked in this version, so very young children shouldn't watch quite yet. The animals in the movie are charming and the actors did a great job!

Adult Written byBaillie C. June 6, 2017

Glenn Close Makes This Movie a Masterpiece

Glenn Close packs tremendous gusto in her portrayal of Cruella DeVil. It's the only reason, in retrospect, that this movie is worth the time to go back and watch. It's light-hearted, but it's also a fun movie to watch. For kids, I think Cruella comes across as an extremely menacing character that, while defeated in the end, is strong enough of a personality to upset younger viewers. Her loud vocal deliveries and harsh tones used throughout, coupled with the fact that it's made VERY clear that she intends to have these little puppies skinned for a fur coat, can easily be very troubling. And Cruella's near-constant cigarette use helps to make the act look cool and sexy to some children. Overall, it's a well-made movie and the good morals are definitely in there, but Glenn Close is so into character that kids could easily find themselves feeling intimidated by her personality and presence.

Parent of a 4 year old Written byAlley327 January 20, 2019

My 4 year old loves

My son likes this movie a lot because the dogs are so cute. It’s rated G and shows good vs evil in a way that isn’t too scary.
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written bySimon R. April 13, 2018

Bit of language, but OK

They say 'bloody' a few times, which, depending on your culture, may not be acceptable for younger kids. A bit of jeapoardy, and cruella really is a cruel person, and being live action makes it all the more real, so probably for age 6 up. Cruella smokes a lot but being a baddie is helpful when discussing this as a life choice. The romance is a great story though and a good intro to matters of the heart for smaller kids.

Parent of a 6 and 6 year old Written byL.andD. March 20, 2019

101 Dalmations Review

From E. (age 6): The music was disappointing because it had scary music when Cruella DeVil took the 101 Dalmations. I loved the ending. This movie was so cool! Yep, it doesn’t have devils. And it doesn’t have angels. I loved that movie! From A. (age 6): I think this movie was for kids that are eight and it should have five stars. I liked when the bad guys got electrocuted.

Adult Written byNassir L. May 17, 2018

Dear Dalmatians, Cruella is coming to get you!

Really good film to watch as a family. Maybe children should be at least six when they watch it cause Cruella can frighten the young viewers, I am talking about personal experience, of course they can be a bit younger than that, as far as an adult watches with them the first time which is the most important thing, apart from that, it really depends on the sensibility of your children, if you think that they can handle it at 4, cause they are mature and have already seen a lot of Disney movies, you can give it a try but do not let them watch alone and if there is a need, fast forward the scary parts.