All parent member reviews for 12 Years a Slave

Adult Written byFilmFanatic October 20, 2013

Touching movie, but intense

Fantastic movie but has some really intense scenes/themes that may not be suitable for younger teens. Positive Role Model/Message- Solomon proves to be great role model and brings a great message to the movie. He presses on even through hard and seemingly unbearable times in the hopes of seeing his family again. Bass's views on slavery and the differences between white and black people also makes him a worthy role model. Violence- Very brutal beating/whipping scenes with harsh results. The viewer usually doesn't see the wound being directly inflicted, as the camera angle is opposite of the actual contact. You can. however see the gory after affects, whipping sounds, pained faces and even blood spray from the more savage hits. A woman slave asks another slave to end her life because she is suffering so much at the hands of her master. A man is hung by the neck on his toes for an extended scene before his is cut down. (He is okay.) In a scene, a few slaves are hung and we see their bodies convulse briefly. The violence is intense and realistic. Sex/Nudity- There are two sex scenes. One consensual and lasts about 20-30 seconds and another of the same length that borderlines on rape (She doesn't fight back but it is implied she doesn't have much of a choice in the matter.) None of these scenes have nudity. There are a few scenes of nudity, but they are non-sexual. Slaves are washing up and bare butts and breasts can be scene. In a slave market, the slaves are sold nude so that their potential buyers can inspect them. Again, butts and breasts can be seen. Language- Frequent uses of mild to moderate language such as the N word and one use of b*tch. The N word is used very frequently in a negative manner.
Adult Written byPoetic Ramblings January 8, 2014

DO NOT LET YOUR 14 YEAR OLD WATCH THIS

This movie, while it is well, acted, well written, and shows an important and beyond gut wrenching part of our history, should not be watched by children. I was nearly 18 when I saw this film and it is, and I can't emphasize this enough, extremely intense. You will walk out of it feeling like you've been run over by a train. Graphic violence, sex, torture.
Adult Written byMartyDX March 6, 2014

Inappropriate due to nudity & sexual content

The main review left out that it has full nudity, nongraphic consensual but nonmarital sexual activity. Possibly that needs a revision to reflect this detail.
Adult Written bySumiko April 12, 2014

Quite violent, the whipping scenes really get to me. People are hung and almost hung. One of the slaves is being raped by her master. All around dark themes.
Adult Written by458540 May 25, 2014
Adult Written bykipwalker44 November 3, 2014

Excellent, powerful historical drama is way too violent for kids

Educator Written byfilmmaster93 March 23, 2014

Parent Written by2gold April 17, 2015

I would not want children to watch this

This is a good movie for adults, but not children. This is a very intense movie about American slavery. There is full nudity, rape scenes, disturbing violence and murder. As an adult it was difficult to watch.
Adult Written byhugheskristi8 March 5, 2015

Not a green 14

I have never seen the common sense media review more off on the age recommendation. This is something I wouldn't have let my mature 16 year old watch if not mislead by this rating. The movie was good but definetly not suitable for a 14 year old.
Parent of a 11 and 14 year old Written bysteveEng February 20, 2015

Not well Directed

I did not like this movie as I think the directing was not good. The story from the film is good but is not appropriate for kids. There is violence and rape with in this movie.
Adult Written byzeekattacklee January 19, 2015

12 years a slave review..

This film was considerably interesting.. But, due to it’s graphic content. Parents need to use strong judgement when letting their young adults watch. Otherwise, it is a pretty great film for mature teenagers..
Parent of a 13 and 16 year old Written bynuenjins September 16, 2014

True story or means to an end?

We all can agree that slavery in it's day around the world was a crime against a people who were abused and essentially imprisioned. This film claims to be an accurate account of Northups book of the same name and although it may be' from' him, is it an imbelishment that at the time was a means to a good end that in todays context perhaps does little else than raise rising and politically driven racial tensions that the media has been feeding on. " The conception of the artist, as someone who subjects his audience to suffering, is distinctly postmodernist and distinctly false. It is an evasion of the artist’s central responsibility, which is not to inflict a given experience, but to arrive at its truth." Keeping in mind the seldom told fact that many "white" people died to defend their belief and end slavery going to war but is rarely mentioned or minimized as it is not a sensationalised concept with not political edge to be exploited.. This film is gory, aweful and the director admits to inflicting as much uncomfortability as he could whether imbelished or not. So on it's artistic merit claiming to be truely "true" is really what gives the movie it's legs. It is without a doubt a good 'movie' and not for kids. But to go to the origins there are accounts that suggest that this was used at this time period to horrify people who approved of slavery and change their minds. That is good reason. But there is good reason from original dictation that there was an exspectation of imbelishing and even lying in the original account and that Northup was treated quite well and then lived most of his life very happy. This does not justify slavery but serves to give example as to why the 'movie' was done and what reason. To ignore these accounts and then place those ideas in modern cinema with a director wanting to pervey the mistreatment (and that only) of the account call credability and reasoning in to question, hence capitalizing on racial tensions, guilt and emotion for profitability. Whether you like it as a film depends on if you take it as a well done piece of art or somtheing more and if you believe it to be true in the most sincere and honest sense.
Parent Written byPredatorman March 22, 2014

I've Never Seen It

although I have never seen it I can tell just from what every website say's it's one of this years top movies, and it has really inappropriate content.