Kid reviews for 13th

Searing docu decries racial bias; intense violence, cursing.

Teen, 14 years old Written bylilyzach02 March 30, 2017

Violent and Biased

While this is an informative movie, it's very one-sided. It does not present both sides of the information, and the sole purpose of the movie is to guilt people into not arguing with the facts. I was shown this movie in class, after being told that I did not have to agree with what was being told (which was wise of my teacher), but otherwise, without much warning and it ultimately shocked me. There are very bloody, horrible and disturbing images that I did not enjoy watching, especially in a learning environment. It could be argued to be educational, but if you plan on showing this to students, I would recommend showing another movie that presents the other side of the story, and be sure to guide the students, make sure that they know it is not entirely factual. Most things placed in front of kids are interpreted as something the teachers want the students to believe, so this movie felt like brainwashing to me. I would also suggest showing this to older students, and make sure they know about the violence it holds before showing it to them. I felt that I was too young to watch this, especially in school.

Teen, 13 years old Written byalrightmira December 13, 2016

A wake up call.

I absolutely love this movie. Though it's not exactly upbeat- it is certainly a must-see. I feel that if you are at the maturity level to thoroughly process such deep material than you must watch this movie. It's extremely important to know about these key chains of events in American history and racial biases that still prevalently occur today. I have just turned thirteen and I have really, really enjoyed and appreciated this movie. However- all families beware that there is a small sex scene from 12 Years A Slave mixed in there that did catch me off guard, but is nothing to be too wary about. As soon as your child shows maturity I feel that you should show them this very informative, factual, and interesting documentary. I certainly made connections from it to my life.

Kid, 12 years old October 11, 2016

Disturbing, realistic documentary about racism and prison is extremely intense.

My rating:NR
Teen, 14 years old Written bypaarthvader77 July 24, 2018

Everyone In the US Should See This Movie

Truly amazing movie, that I think should be shown and talked about in every school in America. It discusses some of the most important issues in our past that are so rarely talked about. Their are a million amazing things I could say about this movie and why it should be seen, that I unfortunately don't have the eloquence to give it justice, but please watch this movie and show it to everyone you know.