Parent reviews for 47 Ronin

Lifeless take on classic tale with bloodless martial arts.

Parent of a 13 and 15 year old Written byIsenanao January 2, 2014

Anime Lovers will Love 47 Ronin

Anyone who watches anime with any regularity will LOVE this movie. It is VERY Japanese and will probably not do as well in the North American market as it deserves to because the cultural references will be misunderstood by most. There is a lot in here about honor and loyalty but it is in the Japanese cultural understanding rather than any North American understanding. It is SO Japanese in fact that the only "complaint" I have about the movie is that wedding dress is white rather than red, which seems to be the *only* nod to North American sensibilities. The commission of Seppuku is *implied* more than once. This movie IS violent but our 13 and 15 year old kids loved it and it is one of *very* few movies I would like to see in the theater a second time. If you are an anime lover or have a teen anime lover in your household I highly recommend this movie. Younger kids will find this movie confusing and probably scary.

Adult Written byDan G. January 3, 2014

Scatterbrained story; it's really all about the violent battles

The movie has very little coherent or interesting plot. It seems to simply be a vehicle by which to display violent battle scenes. The violence is prolific, however not graphic. Little blood, although there is a suicide and a beheading. Those children that would most want to see this movie perhaps should not if they have tendencies towards fighting or violence.

Adult Written byalleiju22 April 2, 2014

Alert: Rape Scene

I wish the quick "what parents need to know" narrative on this site had mentioned the rape scene that takes place after the witch puts a spell on Lord Asano and tricks him into "seeing" Lord Kira on top of his daughter grabbing her wrists and while she is screaming. While no one is naked, it is NOT subtle and it DOES show him thrusting and DOES show his full body inside the robe (not just their faces). It's way more than I had anticipated my children watching. We planned on a few heads rolling from sword fights but that's a totally different thing than this. From reading this site it said "sex is not an issue" and the "main characters are shown to be in love but barely touch". I think leaving out a rape scene is a big ball drop.