A lot or a little?
The parents' guide to what's in this movie.
What parents need to know
- Parents say
- Kids say
What's the story?
Is it any good?
Talk to your kids about ...
- Families can talk about the movie's violence. Is it exciting or gruesome? How does it leave you feeling? Does visible blood make the violence feel more realistic? How much blood would really be shed during violence like we see on the screen?
- How do you feel about the idea of a white main character and a white director telling this story? Are non-Japanese allowed to tell a Japanese story? How can different cultures positively represent one another in movies?
- Is the "jolly fat man" character a stereotype? What is his purpose in the movie?
- In theaters: December 25, 2013
- On DVD or streaming: April 1, 2014
- Cast: Hiroyuki Sanada, Keanu Reeves, Rinko Kikuchi
- Director: Carl Rinsch
- Studio: Universal Pictures
- Genre: Action/Adventure
- Topics: Magic and Fantasy, Sports and Martial Arts
- Run time: 119 minutes
- MPAA rating: PG-13
- MPAA explanation: intense sequences of violence and action, some disturbing images, and thematic elements
- Last updated: April 30, 2020
Our editors recommend
For kids who love martial arts
Themes & Topics
Browse titles with similar subject matter.
Top advice and articles
Common Sense Media's unbiased ratings are created by expert reviewers and aren't influenced by the product's creators or by any of our funders, affiliates, or partners.
Streaming options powered by JustWatch