Parent reviews for A Babysitter's Guide to Monster Hunting

A Babysitter's Guide to Monster Hunting Poster Image

Fun, just scary enough, good role models, good diversity

My 11yo girl loved this movie. She is not super-sensitive, but we are careful with what we let her watch, so I wouldn't say she's desensitized to violence or scary stuff. The scare factor in this movie was perfect for her current level of tolerance (and mine - I AM kind of sensitive). I loved the realistic and positive messages for girls throughout the movie. We both loved the soundtrack. I loved that Kelly's crush, a cute boy, got protected and ALSO de-prioritized by the girl in this movie - the greater good was more important. It was also really nice to see the biracial partnership and budding friendship between the 2 girls. It was great to see a really fun, action-packed heroes-vs.-villains movie where boy/man heroes were actually under-represented for a change.

Good but a little cheesy

The movie has a good storyline and great character traits. Some parts were just a little corny at times. More creepy than scary.

Entertaining with a few scares

This movie is great for the whole family with a strong female lead and supporting cast. Lots of action means it keeps the attention of kids and isn’t boring for adults. There are some scary parts which more sensitive kids may not enjoy. Our 9yo doesn’t like a lot of scary things so we we’re a little worried he might not enjoy it but he was fine. He looked away a few times but said he wanted to keep watching. I think younger kids would find it very scary. No swearing, a little bit of teasing which makes for good conversations with your kids about how to treat other people with respect. A great scene where her friends sticks up for her - teaching you to stand up to bullies. Our son is now inspired to read the books and told me to rate it 5 stars so that’s tells you a lot!

Teaches kids to face their fears

Teaches kids to face their fears, it was a bit scary during the movie but the end shows courage and how to be able to deal with your/their fears. Awesome awesome message.

Perfect for little kids

It is ok nothing bad

Gets scarier

This was working well for our 6yo and 11yo until we got to the middle. Then a shadow monster showed up that was too scary for the 6yo — and when we checked in with the 11yo, she said it was too much for her as well. We turned it off and probably won’t try again soon. It’s too bad, because the young actors do a good job and the premise is appealing. If it stayed at the less-threatening level of the first half it would be a good choice for families with wide age ranges.

Already on our 2nd viewing in 24 hours.

The main character is a great role model. Individuality, teamwork and bravery are recurring themes. Felton is a good first 'baddie' for the younger kids. The toadies are hilarious little minions. Overall it's a fun movie we plan on enjoying multiple times. Thanks, Netflix.