Parent reviews for A Child's Garden of Poetry

A Child's Garden of Poetry Poster Image

Based on 1 review

Based on 1 review

Absolutely Amazing & Beautiful Family Entertainment!

This video is absolutely wonderful! The beautifully artful animations of classic poems read by today's leading actors is a perfect way to get kids interested in and loving poetry. This is also one of our favorite videos to watch as a family, and it's topics and songs have been re-sung and recited in our family long after the video. What an excellent way to make the words of Robert Louis Stevenson, Robert Frost, Langston Hughes and many more real and accessible to kids! Grandpa and dad have even paused and been drawn into this video, and my son and daughter ask to hear the silly poems over and over - and dance and sing to the songs! The only part I don't love is the excerpts with real children discussing why they love poetry. The kids are from elite NYC schools, and their explanations are a bit over the top. I would have rather had the time used for another animation. However, my kids seem to like the real-kid approach, the kids are great role models, and we have been inspired to try some of the hands-on poetry approaches of these schools by watching these short segments. This was created in part by HBO family, and if you like it, I'd also check out their Classical Baby series - more excellent poems and songs.