All parent member reviews for A Fish Tale (Help! I'm A Fish)

Adult Written bynduns July 13, 2013

Surprisingly smart

For a film that critics often say won't appeal that much to older viewers, this film is quite well-written a lot of the time. True, some things are a tad eyeroll-worthy, such as Chuck constantly being the butt of every joke and Fly somehow having an idea for every situation, but even so, I do recommend this. The songs are fine, though not great, save for one that I hold in very high regard. The animations are good, but the occasional CGI does clash a bit with the hand-drawn stuff. One thing I really admire about this film is some of the risks it takes without even seeming to know it's taking them. First of all, six characters, one of which is actually a pretty important character, are eaten by Shark and the film doesn't even treat this like a big deal. There's a scene where the crab general claws Fly thus leading to a bit of blood flying out of him while his skin turns pale. I was shocked when I saw this scene and I can't help but applaud the movie for adding something so dark during its climax. Speaking of which, the final confrontation between Fly and Joe, especially the way Fly beats him, is absolutely and utterly brilliant. Seriously, this is pure genius and it makes Fly a very well realized character. I actually recommend checking this out, though ignore the North American box art. It's terrible and misleading and, yeah, just pretend it's not there if you rent this one.