Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for A Midsummer Night's Dream

Sumptuous version, both earthy and enchanted.

Adult Written byCrotonParent May 11, 2013

MIDsummer - MIDddle school not so much...save it for high school

I showed this movie to my 7th graders. While some of them thought it was fairly appropriate, some probably felt it was a bit mature for them. The acting is okay. There really is no great version for kids under the age of 13-14 to enjoy, but then again, it really is best suited for high school and older.

Parent of a 12 year old Written bycrankylibrarian January 3, 2014

Terrrific intro to Shakespeare for tweens

One of the funniest adaptations of one of Shakespeare's funniest plays. Stanley Tucci steals the show, playing Puck as a decidedly earthbound underling, in awe of, yet exasperated by his suave demanding boss Oberon. The lovers (Including Dominic West from "The Wire" and "Batman" Christian Bale) pull off some wonderful slapstick, yet Kevin Kline (Bottom) and the other mechanicals are unexpectedly touching.

Parent of a 11 year old Written byAmitra71 June 10, 2018

Talk about consent

While this is a visually appealing version of the classic, and makes Shakespeare easy to understand, I had a problem with the rape. I had never noticed it before - maybe I did this time because I've been very carefully teaching my son about consent. The queen and Puck very clearly have sex in one scene (it is not actually *shown*, but it is pretty obvious). The queen had been given a drug, so she couldn't give consent. Bottom, of course, doesn't know this, so he's a victim as well. Puck knows, and finds it amusing. The king knows. This is all hammered home in the final scene, when the queen clearly has no memory of what happened. This is rape, played for laughs, and because it's a "magic" drug, most people don't seem to think about the parallel here to a girl getting slipped a date rape drug. I had a long talk with my son after watching this, and I hope you talk to your child as well.