Parent reviews for A Monster Calls

A Monster Calls Poster Image

Excellent, but be careful with very sensitive/vulnerable viewers!

I am an artist. I loved the animation. I am a writer. The story-telling was unique and riveting. I am a mom. This was gut-wrenching. I am also a grandma. I am concerned for the vulnerable. I have always been extremely super-sensitive. This movie shook me to the core. I was a kid from a dysfunctional and abusive home. This movie absolutely RIPPED ME APART! Many parts of this movie can be triggers: nightmares, bullying, invalidation from adults, terrible loneliness, fear, having to "suck it up", inner rage with no place to put it, great loss, seeing the world as unknowable, BEING YELLED AT, feeling like everything is your fault, and having to deal with death. The stories the Tree Monster tells are hard enough for ADULTS to grapple with - let alone CHILDREN: People are both good and bad, but you don't know which. (Or, as the Monster says, "Humans are complicated beasts.") Situations are neither black nor white, but you don't know which. The world is a place in which you never REALLY know what's going on.... So, SUCK IT UP, KID!! DEAL WITH IT!! People MIGHT be nice to you. But then they DIE!!!! Or, people might NOT be nice to you. But it DOESN'T MATTER!! YOU don't matter! You might even be INVISIBLE! The whole world might even be a STORY! Who knows for sure??? You can't depend on anybody. Nobody is knowable. Not even YOURSELF! THE END! Can most people can handle that? I don't know. I'm not most people. I couldn't. Both I and another close to me had the same reaction after watching: we both sat in shell-shocked silence for the longest. I thought of Nihilism, frankly. The world-view is headed that way these days. PLEASE NOTE: extremely sensitive people may not be able to handle 'A Monster Calls' easily. Sensitive children, people who have been abused or neglected, or those who have some mental challenges to deal with should probably NOT watch this movie. It's raw. It's in-your-face. Then it ENDS. It was beautifully done. For what it was. Excellent movie, but VERY RAW and VERY POWERFUL. Please consider caution before viewing it, or before allowing young or vulnerable people to view it.
1 person found this helpful.

Teaches about important messages

Amazing and interesting the only downside is people having sex an killing each other after totally fine for brave 2 year olds

Great film for introducing your 10-12-year olds to difficult topics

This film depicts a lot of hardship, grief, bullying, and all the emotion and difficulties that come with dealing with all of that as a young teen. It was great watching with my 10 year old son and a friend of his. They both liked the fantasy setting and had some really good discussions about whether or not the monster was real, and if not then what was it really about. Why would this boy manifest his grief as a monster? I shed some tears along the way and I think one of the boys hid a few as well. I would say it is especially well suited for boys as they get to see and both very strong and very vulnerable role model, but everyone 10+ would enjoy (or learn from) this.

Terrible movie

This was a terrible movie. It was boring until the end of the movie. If you think a movie making you cry at the end is a good movie, then you might enjoy the ending. Just a bad movie! Really bad!

Very Upsetting

It’s very sad the whole way through. My 11 year old wouldn’t sleep in her bed that night – not from the monster aspect but from the scene of the dying mother needing help to get dressed and shows her bony back. The blurb on the back of the video makes it sound like a childrens movie. It states “his mother becomes ill”, but she is dying of cancer. Technically and visually excellent – watch it if you are studying media but take the tissues.

Fine for any Kid.. Amazing

Didn't need a PG-13 rating. It is very sad. Well done

excellent movie showing live is not black and white

watched it with my 7 and 9-year-old, my 7 year old was a tad too young but my 9-year-old son understood the messages. This is not a happy ending movie but teaches about grief and how to cope with it. The analogies were very fitting. Best watched with an adult