All parent member reviews for After Earth

Adult Written byjoshua martinez June 1, 2013

12 and up.

This action/adventure movie after earth is an average movie filled with action stars with will smith and his real-life son jaden smith there's not really a lot to say about this movie but the violence with that being said this action movie is good enough for your young teens but parents this movie after earth does have some Constant peril violence throughout the movie despite the violence in this film the movie does have a positive message about that Kitai's journey teaches him that only by facing your fears can you realize your full potential and the role models are that cypher is able to demonstrate his love and open his heart and mind to what his son has to give. Kitai is brave and loving and overcomes his fears. Mother Faia is an exemplar of loving support, and sister Senshi is brave and caring, saving her brother's life more than once.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byxmen45 June 1, 2013

Awesome movie, SCARY scenes.

I actually saw After Earth yesterday, its opening day. It was a great movie with a positive message of overcoming fear and being an independent person. It was not a long movie (around 2 hours including previews) and had nothing too "iffy." Now, there were some disturbing scenes. Humans are hung with their dead body seeable. Blood is on them. You see a pile of dead gorrilas, corpses and limbs and blood splattered bodies seeable. A startling hole rips in a ship, everyone except for two were killed. A character briefly cuts an aliens head off, purple blood coming from it. A character breaks his leg and is unable to walk. You see dead baby eagles, bodies seeable. An eagle is killed. Tigers fall from a cliff, you can hear them roar in pain. In the end, a character slays an alien, graphically. In a flashback a character's sister is killed by alien. The alien sticks a blade through her back. She screams and cries. There are a million startling scenes. Although it sounds very violent, when you see, it won't feel that way for some reason. It is very slow paced but very good. There is no bad language. A character says, "This sucks." There is a use of dumb. It was a great movie, if you are ok for a chill but not a horror movie. Thank you, I hope I helped you make a decision.
Adult Written byDr.Pepper December 9, 2013

A tame PG-13 movie

This movie definitely has lots of creature violence and frightening scenes, but nothing excessively bloody or gory. There is no sexual situations and the bad language is limited to one use each of "sucks" "screwed" and "d@mn".
Parent of a 10 year old Written byditzyleopard August 19, 2013

Great for mature kids, if you don't mind them seeing lots of dead bodies, fighting, and gore.

Very gory and intense movie, I'd be happy to take my teen nephew, but I'm not keen on all the gore for younger kids. Quite a lot of mature topics that I think are better understood by older audiences. I was shocked to see two young girls in the theater when we arrived, and they were both unable to stay throughout the whole movie. I'd say they were 4 and 6, maybe 7?
Parent Written byizzycoffe July 8, 2013

Just ok...!

This movie is entretaining, the plot is interesting, but that's all. It develops very slow, the most exiciting part of the movie is the end, the rest of it it's kinda boring and the acting of the main character is not that great, it can be better. It's not for kids because of the violence and some suspenful moments, for young teens and up.
Adult Written byBistromama July 2, 2013

Too violent

Common Sense Media is normally on the mark but I felt like they underestimated how violent this movie is. It was depressing and much too intense for a 12-year-old, IMHO.
Parent of a 13 year old Written bytyaseer June 10, 2013

amazing

i like the movie,so amazing, but is scary for kids below 8 ,
Parent Written byZebrasareawesome June 4, 2013

Good, some violent scenes

This movie is good and well made as they have to fight the remains of earth. Discusting images and a flashback where a young child witnesses his sister being torn apart by an alien.