Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Alpha

Boy, wolf face intense peril in epic prehistoric adventure.

Adult Written byChnicol August 18, 2018

Fantastic!

Our 7 year old son loves anything about wolves. When we saw this movie was coming out, he was beyond excited! The PG-13 rating made me a little nervous so I did as much research as I could before deciding it was ok. Violence was the only thing mentioned for that rating. Considering the time period it was filmed in, it seemed appropriate. We saw it and it was amazing! The filmography was gorgeous, the acting superb, the violence was not anything terribly graphic. It was mostly implied and left to your imagination. The story was just wonderful and our son loved it!

Adult Written bytexacole August 26, 2018

You don't know (and no one tells you) that it's ALL subtitled...

Great movie and great story of perseverance and survival but if you're going to test the limits of what age of child you choose to bring, make sure they are able and willing to read the entire time because all dialogue is subtitled.

Parent of a 10 year old Written bywielandteam2008 August 19, 2018

Great movie highlighting the importance of independence

My 10 year old daughter enjoyed this movie very much. She gave it a 9/10. If your kid can watch The Lion King; your kid can watch The Alpha. We had lots to talk about and teachable moments. She enjoyed this much more than Goodbye Christopher Robin. I enjoyed this because it sensationalized a life skill, INDEPENDENCE. It reinforced the old expression; power of the pack and family needs to stick together. The movie showcased that accidents happen and life doesn't always go as planned. It highlights the importance of thinking for yourself and pushing forward especially, when family can't be there to support you. Use what you've been taught and let your instincts guide you. It was very clean, no sex, no inappropriate scenes, no alcohol/drugs - just a great, movie for the family.

Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written byBlackHawk23 August 19, 2018

Great movie about overcoming challenges!

This was a good movie to talk about challenges and the circle of life. There is some violence and a scene where the boy needs to tend to an injury that is a little graphic. The main piece I want to alert parents to is the fact that the language is an ancient one specific to the timeframe, so the entire movie is in subtitles. If you bring younger children, plan on helping them out a bit...even if you get the loud whisper "I CAN READ!" back to you! The cinematography is awesome - they do a great job at creating the feel of being in the wilderness. I spent the walk out with my 10 year old talking about the circle of life because some animals die during the film.

Adult Written byMrs. Thib August 19, 2018

Great family movie!

This movie had alot of explorable themes and talking points for parents for their kids. Very action packed and easy to follow. This movie does have subtitles through out so kids need to he good readers or have a patient parent to read the entire time. (does have some hunting violence as the time period is during the caveman era where hunting was a everyday occurrence. Overall I would give this movie two thumbs up.

Adult Written byschoogarok August 18, 2018

Good, but dark

The most violence that may bother younger kids is all in the first 4 minutes (not for those who "love" pets or who get scared easily). If your kid plays a lot of games shooting animals or killing, they'll be fine- they're already conditioned seeing it (mine isn't). Rite of passage- blurred image of teens being beat with tribal Dad's okay until he says stop. Kids may ask why a lot during the first 10 minutes. After that.. still dark/scenes at night, but the rest is great about not giving up, strength to survive, keep positive to keep moving, trust instinct, and the love of family is what matters. All words are subtitled since they are tribal 20,000 years ago in Europe. Happy ending.. with a cute surprise we didn't expect.
Adult Written bySilver wolf August 17, 2018

Better details

The first encounter with the wolves and why Kena (the boy) had to take care of (and bonded) with the wolf could’ve been betrayed a lot better. Maybe the pack turning on alpha instead and Kena takes care of her after that? I was disappointed mostly with that and I was hoping to see a little more bonding interactions with them as well. I was excited to see a movie that betrayed wolves as the good guy, instead of the bad, I hope everyone who watches this movie has only loving thoughts for our beloved canines’ ancestors.

Adult Written byGorda August 31, 2018

Way Too Fake

Not at all convincing as Cro-magnon people from twenty thousand years ago. Wore tailored clothes. The head man raises his fist in a modern military "hold" position. before running the buffalo off the cliff. The boy has the face of a girl, survives a hundred foot fall landing on his back including smacking his head on a rock shelf but seems to suffer only from a dislocated ankle from which he shortly recovers sufficiently to run and even carry a full grown wolf on his back to a cave entrance. When he wakes from his fall he starts to climb down impossibly from the sheer rock face and is about to fall again another thousand feet or so when a serendipitous flood appears below him allowing him to drop safely into the water instead of landing splat on the carcasses of the dead buffalo. The landscapes scenes are all computer generated and look it. I would only recommend this film to young kids who wouldn't know any better.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byMary P. August 28, 2018

Not in English though the trailer makes you think otherwise

My kids felt tricked by this movie. We watched the trailers together and they liked it. The actors were seen speaking in English, no subtitle involved. Until we get to the theater and the whole movie is in a fantasy language. They still enjoyed it but the promoters knew that no one would want to go see such movie and made misleading trailers. Very disappointing.
Adult Written byJennalynn17 August 18, 2018

Best movie I’ve seen in a while

A great story line with unexpected turns and events. It will make you cry but GOOD cry. It was so sweet and the director did a great job fostering bonds through the main characters.

Adult Written byJFZ September 1, 2018

Touching and positive story

This story helps a person realizes that heart sometimes is a better leader than the spear. All characters are good role models.
Adult Written bygemmi75 January 16, 2019

Fantastic!

I saw the movie with my husband and kids (ages 14, 11 and 7) and I think the message of caring, cooperating and helping each other is so positive I have played the movie in all my science classes in the High School I work in. Also a great resource for science teachers.

Adult Written byStarkWolf November 8, 2018

The best

Excellent movie !!!
Parent of a 6 year old Written byMaxMommie August 25, 2018

Good but lots of reading

Great movie about perseverance and courage. Some violence but nothing more than Marvel movies. Just different because it’s animal related. LOTS of reading. I recommend getting headphones for children that’ll read the screen from the theaters.

Adult Written byRose engelhardt August 17, 2018

Alpha

Great family movie.

Adult Written byCarolina Hob December 8, 2018

Great family movie

Resilience, perseverance, friendship and loyalty.

Adult Written byjorchowski August 28, 2018

Not for young audience who can not read caption fluently

The movie is not for audiences that do not read captions fluently. Disappointed for my 6 year old grand child.
Adult Written byavdilger August 28, 2018

Terrible

This one one of the dumbest movies I have ever seen. It appears the language they were speaking was made up as they went along........stupid. During movie in supposed ICE age they trek through a blizzard while resting at nite when its peaceful, during walking in blizzard doesn't wear a hat that he has. Both boy and wolf freezing cold but dont sleep together. Dumbest movie ever .....dont waste your time or money
Parent Written byMarcin B. August 22, 2018