All parent member reviews for Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel

Adult Written bynduns April 18, 2010

You know what really pains me?

The fact that so many parents chose this, a poorly written, contrived cash grab over a well-written film, aka, The Princess and the Frog, and it's all thanks to this that Disney has changed the title of Rapunzel to Tangled and changed the main characters around while also taking away some of the serious nature it was originally supposed to have. Thanks, parents, thank you for making that happen. Now that the rant's out of the way, I must apologize. I don't normally take my frustration out on the audience as the writing staff play a bigger part in it. It just really saddens me that good companies have thrown away their talent in favor of mind-rotting bulltripe simply because movies like this do better at the box office. This is just showing how sad mankind has gotten. Now what can I say about the Squeakquel? Well, while I did find it a little better than the first one, it's still stupid beyond all belief. I still can't get over how they portray Simon in these movies. In the show, he could actually show us that he was smart. In the movies... okay, he uses big words, but that's about it. Other than that, he makes just as dumb of decisions as everyone else. They also took away everything that could have made Theodore likable as if having a personality would have made him less cute! Here's a message, parents: No sane person who watched these two would possibly think the upcoming Chipmunks 3D will be any good! We know it's only going to be a visual film and not a story-driven one! Pixar is releasing Toy Story 3 around that time! Take your kids to that instead and maybe Disney will be convinced not to cancel their upcoming King of Elves project like they've been rumored to be thinking of.
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byTtownPapaBear April 26, 2010

Not a great movie, but safe for those 10+

I felt there was too much boy/girl stuff for my 4 and 6 year old. I also don't appreciate them using "catchy" little sayings like "shake what your mama gave you" that are just begging kids to repeat long after they have left the theater. Nevermind that the move was awful and not very entertaining.
Adult Written byNerdyNette August 20, 2013

Terrible movie.

The introduction of The Chipettes in this movie is disturbing. They can't possibly live up to the REAL Chipettes. The Chipmunks have been butchered, now The Chipettes have too. Don't watch this movie. Stick with the cartoon, and see the REAL Chipettes.
Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written bytwiceascutekids July 12, 2010

Funny family movie - geared more to tweens/teens

This is a good, funny, family movie, but I rated it 6 years and above because much of it will be over a child's head if younger. In fact, this seemed more geared to tweens and teens in my opinion. The meanness of the talent agent when he locks the chipmunks in cages may upset younger ones, but the scene recovers in humor. Overall, good movie for the family to see.
Parent of a 4, 7, 9, 11, and 17 year old Written bylizatcoty July 12, 2010

good for kids 6-9

the music is great. easy for little people to follow the silly story line.
Adult Written by4Spice June 28, 2010

good movie

good family movie
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written bycyndifug8 June 20, 2010
I thought I wouldn't enjoy this at all,but it is a very cute and nice family picture.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byMome1 May 21, 2010

NO A TEACHING TOOL!!!

Our 5 year old saw this movie at school, yes public kindergarten. We were shocked to hear it was to teach them about bulling and teaseing. Yes it taught them how to do it!!!
Parent Written byElliott and Gwen April 28, 2016

Inappropriate for young kids.

Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 August 25, 2012

alvin and the chipmunks squeakquel

Families can talk about peer pressure. Why did Alvin join the football team, especially when he knew the game would conflict with the talent show? What did he hope to gain? Were the bullies really his friends? How does the movie approach the subject of body image? Would it be different if the characters dealing with the issue were human instead of chipmunks? Cousin Toby has spent a lot of time playing and mastering video games, but what good has it done him?
Parent Written byRobbyWBoy16 January 3, 2012

Alvin and the chippmunks 2

good chipmunks sequeal.
Parent of a 5, 6, 7, 10, 10, and 17 year old Written byCharlie The Cat December 17, 2011
Parent of a 13 year old Written byDr. Weird September 11, 2010

Alvin!!!!

Not as good as the first film.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byohya August 18, 2010
Parent of a 3 year old Written byMom_Of_Mariska June 11, 2010

Get up & Boogie-kinda movie

my 3 year old LOVES to get up and boogie during this movie. i've seen this and the original at least 500 in the last 3 weeks alone! definately not a movie to put on for her to fall asleep to, tho!
Parent of a 6 year old Written byUSMEagles June 3, 2010
Our family loves this movie. The only problem I have is the selection of song "All the Single Ladies" by Beyonce. I think there could have been a thousand songs for them to sing. Now my 6 year old wants to hear that song all of the time and has no idea what it means. Would have been better to pick a song that was more age appropriate for little boys and girls.
Parent Written bynadoja September 27, 2015

Meh

My daughter loves this movie. I watch every movie with my daughter on its first run in our household. My husband and I both were not to thrilled with the Chippets hip gyrations (which my daughter mimicked) and the toilet "swirling" of Simon. We felt she need not be exposed to that scene either.
Parent of a 2 and 5 year old Written bypiglover25 July 7, 2010
i love it for my kids
Parent Written byStepMomSterToo June 25, 2010

Good for the kids

Not a bad second movie. The kids liked it, and I didn't find anything offensive about it. Anything pre-teen about it is just silliness.
Parent of a 6 and 11 year old Written byfastraxsg July 6, 2011

Better than the first

I am a girl so naturally I was very happy that theyre were girl chipmunks. Better than the first..