All parent member reviews for Amelia

Adult Written bykhan2705 May 29, 2011

average movie.

Hilary Swank and Richard Gere star in director Mira Nair's biopic tracing the life of famed aviator Amelia Earhart -- who made history in 1932 by becoming the first woman ever to fly solo across the Atlantic Ocean. The trip made the aviatrix a national celebrity -- with help from her publicist George Putnam (Gere), whom she fell in love with and eventually married. Their union was tested, however, as Earhart developed feelings for contemporary Gene Vidal (Ewan McGregor ), and the couple's marriage faced the ultimate tragedy years later, as Earhart's fierce independent spirit spurred her to attempt to fly around the world -- a venture that infamously shrouded her in mystery, as the pilot simply vanished after crashing into the Pacific Ocean. Christopher Eccleston and co-star in the Avalon Pictures production. i was aware of all the negative reviews it got from both the critics and audience, i wasn't willing to watch it as i rated it Not Interested last year but it was on TV last night and come on how can a movie fan like me resist the charm of my second most favorite actress of Hollywood, the 2 times Oscar Winner Hillary Swank. Mira Nair did a pretty good work with movies like Monsoon Wedding, The Namesake and few others but this movie is one of her least good movies. performance of Hillary Swank bothered many reviewers here, which is shocking as i was reading them, well not to me. the movie explores the life of Amelia Earhart, who become the first woman ever to fly solo across the Atlantic Ocean and also her personal life and how these both effected her or her relations in general. but honestly speaking i don't know what wen't wrong but i wasn't satisfied with the story and research that have been done for it. it seems empty throughout and feels like there is more to fill in, it seems so superficial like no deep search have been done, we don't see the full Amelia or her life in this movie. based on a very interesting story of this fabulous woman and her superb life, the movie is that dull and just lifeless. Hillary Swank as Amelia Earhart is really convincing and her physical transformation is just superb, she fits very well as her and was the most perfect choice for this role. she delivered a good performance i liked it but besides her nothing much good, Richard Gere, Ewan McGregor, Christopher Eccleston, Joe Anderson , Cherry Jones or others, and a surprise Mia Wasikowska was in this movie which i didn't know. Direction of this movie wasn't good needed much more attention than it got. Story was okay could have been better, screenplay was very dull and empty in many places. Editing was average, art direction was above average, costumes were good. Cinematography was excellent, i loved it. this movie could have been so much better than it was. Not recommended from me unless you are a Hillary Swank fan or just wan't a average popcorn entertainment.
Parent Written bykae@mediat.com October 29, 2009
I saw the movie first with some friends about my age, tonight I took my 12-yr old tonight. Hillary Swank was tremendous and did a great job portraying the hero and role model that was Amelia Earhart. The issue of her infidelity was brought up in the movie but it didn't detract from the main point of the movie. It did provide a chance for us to discuss that sometimes adults make bad decisions and that forgiveness is possible when you love someone.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byHjal May 7, 2011

Good for starting discussions about marriage, celebrity, ambition, risk-taking

The part about Gene Vidal is not supported in the literature--just an tangential observation by Gore.