All parent member reviews for American Beauty

Adult Written bykalleyeope April 9, 2008
Adult Written bycba1942 April 9, 2008

Genius

I think this is one of the most brilliant films I have ever had the pleasure of watching. It is not for weak minded audiences and I recommend that parents do not show it to young children for obvious reasons. The story line is engaging, the acting is spectacular, and the casting is perfect. Spacey proves to be an excellent choice for Lester and Bening is wonderful as Carolyn. Overall I give this film the highest of ratings and place it in the must see category for every movie fan.
Adult Written bywonder dove February 8, 2013

Parents beware!

One of my favorite movies but certainly not for kids! I saw this when I was 12 and didn't fully understand it, it has a lot of strong situations that dysfunctional families go through. I have to say though, the acting is amazing! Exquisitely done by Annette Bening (Carolyn), Kevin Spacey (Lester) and Thora Birch (Jane). Their lives from the outside seem perfect but on the inside, they are dying. Their relationships with one another are absent and cold, they all seem like they need a big hug. I loved most of the characters, each of them had something to like about or something sincere about them. Even their friends seemed disoriented, especially Jane's best friend Angela (played by Mena Suvari) who not only lies too much to make herself look better than Jane but is also completely delusional. Lester has an obsession with her because she leads him on, which totally sickens Jane and draws her even more apart from her dad. Overall, the story is really engaging. Violence has some beating of a teen boy by his strict father, guns...including as a sport at a shooting range, a graphic murder with gore and a woman preparing to kill someone. A girl gets slapped. Lots of strong arguments between friends and families. TONS of sexual content includes nudity where a teen girl exposes her breasts for her boyfriend. A wild sex scene in a motel between married adults having an affair where moaning and dirty language is heard, you also see his backside and her legs up in the air. Plenty of sex talk in all forms including sexual acts by both adults and teens. A woman's breasts appear on a computer screen. A teen boy gets naked in front of his girlfriend (only his bare butt seen) in a non-sexual way. Teen boy is accused of being gay, talks about sexual acts with another man. An older man almost sleeps with a teenager (her breasts are shown). A grown man kisses another grown man. Language is very strong with every word imaginable. There is also lots of pot talked about, seen and smoked. Drinking. Not for anyone under 18, content is very strong.
Adult Written byFreddyFace December 1, 2009

Not a movie for anyone

Horrible movie. So much is soo wrong with it. Grown man lusting after and fantasizing about young girls. Showing the private parts of girls who were underage when filming the movie. I left the movie feeling, dirty, terrible, disturbed, etc. It does make you think, but it's not worth it. Terrible waste of time and money.
Adult Written byrickydoo85 April 9, 2008

Very Powerful Movie

This is one of those movies that make you think. When the movie ends, you just think. Think about what you have just watched. And think about the rest of your life.
Adult Written byheartXcore April 9, 2008

Rated R for a reason

Full of sex, violence, you name it. It was disgusting. If you're a parent who has no idea what this movie is about, please know one thing, it's not for kids of any age!
Parent of a 9 year old Written byDolphincat March 22, 2015
Parent Written bymattbruns3 February 26, 2015

16 depending on maturity.

There is strong sexuality that is intense, lots of strong language, and brief nudity. There is one sex scene that is very intense and strong.
Adult Written byBestPicture1996 July 6, 2014

A look under the hood of American reality

Critics are very divided on this film, even though it was largely lauded back in its day. On sites I hear it praised as one of the top Best Pictures and one of the most overrated. For my money, it may not be in the top 10, but it is a darn good contender for it, and even though it had excellent competition its year of release ("Sixth Sense," "Green Mile") it deserved the prize. Where those movies dipped into the supernatural, this film analyzes reality at its core, more importantly American reality. It peels back what one might consider an ideal American family: a Realtor mother, office-working father and teen daughter, with her pretty blonde friend and new neighbor with a Marine dad. But every single one of those characters has something to hide, something you have to dig deeper to see. Sam Mendes is superb here as a director, second only to this cast that is marvelous, Spacey leading the pack. You can't help but root for him even though some of the things he says are appalling, that's just the old Spacey charm. Watch it as soon as you can, it's a great character drama.
Adult Written bychristian2011 May 31, 2014

Dysfunctional suburbian drama is too mature for the younger crowd.

American Beauty is a masterfully executed film - noted for winning 5 Academy Awards including best picture, but doesn't necessarily mean it's for everyone, especially due to it's abundance of adult subject matter. This movie really conveys the poignancy of natural human emotion and the dystopias that accompany it. I'll try not to spoil since this is scrupulously written. The main plot is about a middle-aged man enduring a disintegrating marriage who eventually lusts for his daughter's 16 year old promiscuous friend, but there's a wide range of plot twists and surprises throughout that will either positively or negatively affect the characters, including his unfaithful wife, his jingoist-biased neighbor, and his abusive boss. Regardless, this is one of the greatest comedy-drama films I've ever seen, with breathtaking acting performances by Kevin Spacey and Annette Bening, including a brilliantly written script. American Beauty is quite bizarre at certain points but certainly makes up to it's unique creativity and cogent narrating by Spacey himself. I rarely give 5 stars, so this is deemed a rarity.
Parent Written byuffehellum January 16, 2012

Harsh but funny

Great film, mercilessly and humorously exposing hypocrisy. Our protagonist emancipates himself, revealing his almost complete lack of accountability. The only healthy relationship is the teenage daughter who runs away with the young drug dealer.
Adult Written bygavin m. jackson April 9, 2008

The best film of 2000

Sam Mendes' triupmphant debut shows us the story of a depressed downtrodden individual who decides to do something about it. Very inspiring.
Adult Written bykaramba April 9, 2008

A good movie with themes not for kids

A well done x-ray of suburban life in the 1970s, with desire as the thread that unravels the hypocrisies of an empty existence. Very nicely filmed, but a cold movie.
Adult Written byboone county April 9, 2008