All parent member reviews for American Gangster

Adult Written by4Spice September 6, 2010

good gangster movie

this movie is a one time see movie but it is a good movie 16 and over foe violence lots of nudity and language
Adult Written byClearlyInappropriate July 10, 2011

AmericanGangster

Adult Written bylemonlover July 19, 2012

Graphic violence and sexual activity along with drugs and language make the film unsuitable for any kids.

The mvoie has uses of f**k, n***a, s**t, c**t, d**n, and more. Very graphic film. Explicit sex is in this film, along with the drug market.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byizzymommy May 13, 2010

Good, but NOT child friendly!

This is a pretty deep and disturbing movie and I can't figure why anyone would let someone underage watch it. This does have it's place with other gangster flicks, but not child friendly due to all the sex, violence, language, drugs etc.
Adult Written byelizabeth76 April 9, 2008

TOO EXPLICIT!

This movie was only good due to the fact that it is based on a true story. It is exciting to someone who loves a ton of shooting and killing/action movies. However somethings were un-needed and too explicit for any age I believe. VIOLENCE: A man is burned alive in the beginning scene, people "shoot-up" drugs throughout the movie, lots of blood not only from self abuse but others. children neglected because parents are drug addicts and passed out or high. Tons of killings with lots of blood splatter. SEX: About 7 to 8 scenes of 3 to 12 naked women processing drugs. Breasts and nipples visible. 4 FULLY naked women in several scenes, however the genitals are a little blurred, it is still very explicit. Another scene when a man is massaged, 3 breast baring women are shown in the room (nipple visible, but wearing thongs) Lots of women dressed in tight clothing and dancing provocatively. Rowdy sexual situation in a kitchen, nothing explicit.
Adult Written byneglectedt@yahoo.com April 9, 2008
Adult Written byconversee April 9, 2008

Realistic picture of the heroin drug culture

This move very graphically portrays a drug cartel and drug use. There are an incredible amount of scenes that show people using heroin and they aren't prettied up for the camera. It also shows a great deal of the brutality of people in this trade. I applaud that they did not glamourize drug use/sales as so many films seem to. I would really only recommend this to teenage old/mature enough to handle intense scenes. Depending upon your child, it may be a good way to show them the reality of that lifestyle.
Adult Written bysupnse April 9, 2008

A must see

My friend and I went to see this film on Opening day, Friday 11/2/07@ 12:15PM show in our small city of Waco,Texas at the Star Plex Galaxy 16. The film was excellent and Mr.Washington and Crowe were outstanding as usual. But what I did not like and feel it was the theatre was the microphone dropping down over Mr. Washington and Armad Asante' during their first and second meeting. From the middle until almost the end of the movie,we saw the microphone. Then after Lucas was sentenced,and where the captions appear at the bottom of the film was not always visable,just partially. This was poor film quality,and I know these High Powered actors,producers and directors,would not have of this! I feel it was a boot leg film. It was shown on the largest seating screen theatre. Oh I did speak with the personnel at the theatre, and they gave me the excuse that it was sent to them like that. If so, something needs to be done about that. No they did not offer me a ticket to view the film on another screen,thus it was showing on 2 screens. I hope this message gets to Mr.Grazer,Scott,Washington and Crowe. ALL IN ALL I ENJOYED THE FILM,and will purchase it when it comes out on DVD.
Adult Written byMissy369 April 9, 2008
Adult Written byDoggoneit April 9, 2008

way too long to make the point

Adult Written byDandelion71 April 9, 2008

Compelling crime drama

This movie kept my attention riveted the whole two plus hours. Not for younger teens-depicts the very seamy underside of drugs, corruption, organized crime. However, excellent movie for the appropriate audience.
Adult Written bysmoo April 9, 2008

Great flick, but not a kid pick!

Being a single mom, anything with Denzel is alright with me. For me, this movie surpassed even the eye candy factor & was an incredible film...for adults! My 10 year old son has been saying he wants to see it, but only because of the massive hype around it. The clips they show on the trailer are about the only parts of this movie that I would let him see! Way to much drugs, violence & complicated content to have to try to explain to a kid.
Adult Written bycoolmom101 April 9, 2008

Hello,

This was a very entertaining movie. I loved it. Even though you might not agree, I let my 13 year-old, stepdaughter, go see it with my cousin. She loved it. I think though, you should see the movie before your kids and watch it to make sure it is ok with you recommendations that you want for your child. ;) Sarah