All teen and kid member reviews for An American Tail

Teen, 17 years old Written bynduns November 18, 2008

A terrific classic

Though unlike most cult classics, this one gets less and less appreciation every year. This movie is wonderful. It's suspenseful, which might make some kids worry, but it's very cute and has some great musical numbers not to mention the plot is handled well. It's one of my personal favorites. You might want your kid to be a little older before viewing it, though, mainly due to some questionable content involving Honest John and the cats. The cats can be really scary sometimes because of their ruthlessness throughout the movie. Meanwhile, Honest John drinks heavily to the point where he should have died by now and during one scene that people seem to ignore, he tries to grab Gussie Mouseheimer's breast. Anyway, that's minor and if you ignore it, you get a great family film.
Teen, 15 years old Written bybubbo April 9, 2008

Uh....Little Kids Only!

This movie will bore anyone over the age of 7 to death! It's annoying and completely pointless...even the awful sequel was better!
Kid, 8 years old August 18, 2012

A Classic Film

This classic "Tail" is a very good movie. But parents of toddlers should be aware that it has some frightening scenes of a storm that Fievel gets lost in and a scene of the" secwet weapon"! It also has some kisses between Toby and his girlfriend. It also has Warren T. Rat smoking and honest John drinking beer. But kindergarteners will enjoy the movie and learn the importance of family.
Kid, 12 years old November 5, 2009

Love it

I like this movie...cute!
Teen, 15 years old Written bywho3697cares June 4, 2009
I'm sorry but I'm not sure if this is really something appropriate for kids. They likely won't care about any of the references to the immigrant era, and this is very sad and depressing.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMovieManiac3005 August 30, 2015

It's not as good as The Secret of NIMH. Watch that instead.

I personally never really liked this film. It's boring, over the top, features way too many songs and will bore the hell out of older kids. Parents won't think much of it but will enjoy watching it with their kids. Only show to young kids and people who have grown up with it because no one else will enjoy it. The animation is great and the movie is a bit unnecessarily dark and scary at times. This film is not Don Bluth's best and is nowhere as good as The Secret of NIMH.
Teen, 17 years old Written bythelastsamurairocks August 27, 2015

Hugely underrated

I cannot believe the hate this movie gets. The fact that it got below 70% on rt is an injustice to the people who worked so hard on this film. This is the perfect family movie and while the story could have been better the characters are very likable and this film should be enjoyed by everyone. It really is a great film that should have gotten more praise.
Teen, 14 years old Written byKmfan97 June 4, 2015

a near perfect animated kids movie.

I happened to watch this movie in my 7th grade civics class just this week because we learned about immigration early in the year and I found it a really enjoyable kids movie. Despite this movies g rating it does have some very brief adult content. There is a scene in the movie where the main character Fivel and his friends Tony and Bridget go into a bar I think and they meet a mouse named honest John who they believe can help Fivel find his family and he is apparently drunk and later in the scene he attempts to touch a older mouse's breast but she stops him. Other than that this is a pretty hard movie to watch for both kids and adults due to how depressing it is and by the end you will cry tears of joy or at least come very close to it trust me. The only two reasons I am giving this a four is because one it could have been slightly better and two as much as I love kids movies this one tries pretty dang hard to be for kids but it doesn't try so hard to where it's unwatchable for anyone over the age of 7. Bottom line I really really enjoyed this movie and I think anyone 4 and up can see it because it's a really good movie for kids it just could be depressing for them. I know I found it depressing.
Teen, 15 years old Written byarthur16morgana March 2, 2011
i love this movie.its amazing.its really interesting!
Teen, 13 years old Written byDelight July 8, 2010
this movie is the best!!! Almost all the people (or mice) are friendly. i still love this move! i started watching it with my sisters and now its one of my favorites!
Kid, 10 years old June 29, 2009
I like this movie!!!!!
Kid, 11 years old June 5, 2009

So touching!!!

This movie was amazing! But it can be depressing for younger kids.