All parent member reviews for Annie (1982)

Parent of a 8 year old Written byStay Alert October 22, 2010

Not as Represented in the Common Sense Media Review

I was disappointed with the Common Sense Media review - usually the "CSM" reviews are "spot-on" in terms of advising parents of the issues in the movie - so that we as parents can make the best decision regarding appropriateness. Therefore, I too, was shocked that the Common Sense review stated "not an issue' for sexual content and language. Carol Burnett's character is too much when she keeps trying to come on to Daddy Warbucks and other male characters, taking clothes off, shimmying her bosom, grinding and thrusting her hips, not to mention the come-on language. The above behavior would be funny in an adult movie or on the stage - but not OK when I was expecting no sexual content. Also, the review should be amended about language - usually CSM is very accurate, but to state, "not an issue," and then have to hear several prominent "gd's" is just not an accurate representation, and a breach of trust. I never felt I needed to look at parental reviews before. Now, I wish I had, since the parental reviews were far more accurate than the CSM review. Had I read them, I would not have allowed my 6 & 8 y/o daughters to watch this movie without previewing it first, so as to find where to skip a scene or two.
Adult Written byjcrlwalker June 27, 2009

The language in ANNIE is awful and unnecessary

I am so ticked that I let my two little girls watch this movie that to the naked eye is adorable. But after really taking a look and listening to the unnecessary foul language I am regretful. Not only does Daddy Warbucks spout of a couple of curse words, Rooster and Mrs. Hannigan take the Lord's name in vain and shout out a couple of GD's at the end. It is like the director just lured us into loving the characters and the movie and then, bam! they shocked parents like me and they just laugh and think it is so funny. I know that most Americans don't think of saying gd is bad, but I was sad to hear it in such a cute movie.
Parent of a 2 year old Written byLittleBitMom December 13, 2010

A cute musical

My 2 year old loves this movie...mostly for the singing. She asks to watch it every day. Yes, she sees that Annie is in danger, but she also sees that she gets rescued and has a parent that loves her. A lot of stuff in the movie goes way over her head (bathtub gin for example!) so I don't worry about her watching this. Plus, I watched it as a little kid and didn't become a boozing drug addict with a penchant for hurting little kids. I think the overall positive message about keeping your head up through the bad times is worth it.
Parent Written byElizabeth Darcy March 20, 2012

Sexual content is over the top for a PG-rated kids musical

This movie had its cute, funny, and touching parts (it takes a lot to destroy the spirit of the Annie story), but on the whole I regretted showing it to my kids (ages 3-14). Miss Hannigan is scandalous, with her suggestive songs, constant drunkenness, and underwear. I can't believe common sense media said that sexual content was "not applicable". Okay, sure, Miss Hannigan is the villian and the movie isn't glorifying the inappropriate things she is constantly doing, singing, and saying, but the sexual content was still way too much for what is supposed to be a fun, heart-warming kids' musical. Besides all that, there were several very in-your-face uses of GD, which leaves me to wonder what on earth CSM is thinking when it ALSO says that language is "not applicable"!!! This version of Annie isn't worth your time, unless you really want to deface your kids' innocence.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byAuthor Alys B. Cohen February 11, 2015

I think a lot of people are missing the point

This is a movie set in the 1930's when prohibition was going strong. That's why Miss Hannigan was making bathtub gin instead of buying bottles. Her behavior was on par with a woman of ill repute in the 1930's. Yes, she was racy and suggestive, but--let me say it again--she was playing a classless woman in the 1930's. Even in the old strips, her character wasn't nice. We aren't supposed to like her until she has her change of heart. If you're looking for a movie with bad guys you like, you'll be disappointed. Yes, Rooster says GD. Guess what. He's a bad guy so bad that he literally tried to kill a 10-year-old. If your complain is he swore, you need to readjust your priorities. I'm appalled that anyone could take issue with Rooster swearing, but don't have a problem with the attempted murder of a child. If you want your bad guys to be good guys, and not as much as a euphemism muttered, then stick with VeggieTales or something equally as lame. My 5-year-old watches this movie, and the innuendo goes over her head, as it did my head when I was a kid. What she, an actual child, sees is another child's adventure, not the adults' drama.
Parent of a 11 and 15 year old Written bydawnkaine October 26, 2010

Surprised by ratings

I enjoyed the movie for adults. But was dissappointed in the movie for a family and the ratings shown here! There is way too much racey behavior from Carol Burnett, sex, drinkinh and then at the end the word "GD" this is the most offensive word out there nad no notaion from Common Sense? So not a movie for family night.
Parent of a 4 year old Written bytiakia1 October 16, 2009
The review here says that "Sexy stuff" is not an issue but I disagree. Ms. Hannigan (the alcoholic) repeatedly comes on to every male in the movie. In fact, in one scene she asks Mr. Warbucks whether he'd like to come to her bedroom. She also asks the police officer who returns Annie to the orphange, "How can I ever repay you?" to which he replies, "I'm sure we'll think of something." Or something to that effect. She is a very sexual character and I think it should be noted. I still love the movie for my daughter, I just fast-forward through those parts!
Parent Written bymomto3amazingggirls April 14, 2013

That one song....

Annie IS a Broadway classic but the song "Dumb Dog" made my daughters upset and they refused to watch the movie anymore. Miss Hannigan could also appear in your child's nightmares. Be careful.
Parent of a 3, 5, and 9 year old Written bySilly Lily October 29, 2012

Classic 1980s...only appropriate if you were a kid in 1982

You have to remember that "kids" movies made in the 1980s are totally different than kids' movies made today. As much as I want to share stuff I loved with my kids it just isn't appropriate anymore to put smoking, drugs, and sexualization in kids' movies. Some people say "who cares we all turned out ok", but for me, I don't think any kid needs to see characters smoking and would leave the movie till they are much older. Get the songs on iTunes and let them watch other versions. Otherwise, enjoy it yourself when they're in bed!
Parent of a 6 year old Written byYogaMommy January 24, 2015

Fun movie with some serious themes

My 6 year old and I watched this after seeing the 2014 version. This gave us a good chance to talk about differences between the films and their settings. I think this version has scarier villains and more blatant child abuse, so it's good to know your kids' sensitivity levels. There are a lot of historical/political references that will go over younger kid's heads but are interesting for adults.
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byAprilMom November 20, 2010
I was really appalled by the racism with respect to the "Indian" and "Chinese" characters (they're both Warbuck's servants), and the made-to-look Jewish "Bolshevik." It's easy to forget how far we've come since 1982! On the one hand, I tell myself that this went over my children's heads, but ay-yi-yi. If I had to do it over, I'd skip it for those portrayals alone.
Adult Written byrhart777 April 9, 2008

I was surprised

I never saw this movie as a child and thought my children would enjoy it. I was rather surprised by the sexual situations and language. I liked the movie overall but my 7 and 4 year old children had a lot of questions. They did love this movie but I just thought it was not age approriate.
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

Surprised

Am I on another planet? All the reviews thus far have been thumbs up. Maybe they weren't paying attention to the part where Carol Burnett says GD three times. I was mortified when my child said, "Mom did you hear that, they said GD"
Parent Written bymbmathew October 16, 2015

kind of rough

the film starts out with a drunk actress careening on stage. within the first 15 minutes there are abusive children fighting each other in a orphanage in a way that minimizes the seriousness of violence and uses it as a starting point for cheap comedy. I think there are some sexual innuendos too but I cannot recall for sure.
Parent Written byathenix22 January 13, 2011

Great movie for 10+

Because I've only seen the TV version of "Annie" years ago since we do not have cable TV in our house - too much negative, not enough positive - , I had no idea how sexy and suggestive the dancers were in this film! That much panty flashing really shocked me. I realize that the adult females are dancing and singing (performing) when this occurs in the film, but my 8-year old daughter (who imitates performers/dancers she sees) would definitely have noticed the scenes with the female adult lead and the mansion dancers dresses up, their legs spread wide open, exposing the "private area" of their panties. I have expressly told her not to raise her dresses, to sit with her legs together keeping her private area unexposed. Just an FYI: I am not a prude having been a cheerleader and a dancer wearing spandex in high school at 15 and 16 years of age. I got this movie as a gift at Christmas and wanted to preview it before sharing it with my kids. I am glad I did.
Adult Written bynarniafan57 December 10, 2010

great for adults and teens 16 and up

this is my favorite all time musical i still like it carroll burnett and tim curry are hilarious and the songs are worth listening to pros acting is great costumes are great for the great depression era singing and dancing are great the settings are nice cons the language like gd the constant drinking and smoking annie nearly being killed off the bridge orphans being abused sexual humor and content
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written bykokinda August 23, 2010

ok for kids over 8

I loved this movie until the end the bad guy says GD and that is just as bad as any other curse word in our house
Parent Written bylldent2000 April 3, 2010

Great Music for a Musical

Overall i love the movie. I have been watching it since I have been a kid. But when I watch my children look at the movie I am a little concerned about Ms. Hannigan drinking often in front of the children. At the end some children may find it scary to see annie being rescued from a helicopter and being chased by Ms. Hannigan brother. The entire time you can tell that annie is terrified. The music is great. My children love to sing a long but at times things have to be explained.
Parent Written byDonutGIRL July 24, 2016

Great...

I work part time in a childcare center, and Maggi (one of my favourite kids there) asks "can you put Annie on the T.B?" everyday and she's 2! The sex stuff and Miss Hannagan's alchol and all over the bad stuff goes over their heads! We've never had a report of the kids getting nightmares! The kids sing "Hard Knock Life" and "Little Girls" all the time.
Parent Written byKimC 2 July 26, 2015

The filthy language makes this not a family film

I was shocked by the filthy language in this movie and would never watch it let alone allow my children to view it.