All parent member reviews for Antz

Adult Written byJenPete November 30, 2008

COMPLETELY disagree with the 8+ rating - this is a Big Kid movie

We previewed this movie in hopes we could show it to our 6 year old and 8 year old who are entranced by their ant farm these days. SO glad we previewed it. SUre, it's just animated, but it's still graphically violent - screen-for-screen shots of battle scenes depicted in countless rated-R movies. The guts were green instead of red, but does that make this violence ok? There's serious deception, political issues (trying to take over the colony through murder), really bad language (we backed up in SEVERAL places to make sure we were hearing what we THOUGHT we'd heard first time through). Why do movie makers have to ruin films this way? Not only won't I recommend it for children - there's nothing redeeming in this film for any age.
Adult Written bynina1978 April 9, 2008
Adult Written byjbarling December 11, 2012

Terrible language

I didn't even let my kids watch this whole thing. My 7-year-old and 5-year-old were watching it, and within a 10-minute period I heard (in the movie) "What the hell was that?" and someone calling another character a "tight-ass." Really?!! I turned it off. Jeez.
Adult Written byTefimom April 9, 2008

The language in this movie REALLY surprised me

There are a lot of things in this movie that make me shocked that it is a cartoon. The worst is the language. Everything from Dam*, Cra*, He**, I believe they say A** too. It just blew me away. Then the movie itself: Kidnapping, War (ok it's a bug war but the violence is still there), Fighting in general (there are I believe 2 fistfights one where a male ant hits a female ant), Oh yeah and of course the whole main idea of the movie which is the big bad army ant attempting or murder everyone in the entire colony that he doesn't think is WORTHWHILE. It's pretty much a cartoon version of Hitler. I literally threw this movie out. I DO NOT reccomend it to any child under 13.
Parent Written bymamantx August 3, 2013

Terrible language, animation and plot

This is a terrible movie: bad language, bad animation, bad script. I tried to include some of the objectionable language used repeatedly by the main character and CommonSenseMedia said that it could not allow such language in a review. Think about what that means for the language you'll be explaining to your children.
Adult Written byturtlenthehare August 26, 2011

Too adult a theme

While sitting in a bar drinking "aphid beer" two characters complain about their lot in life. One of them actually says, "Whatcha bitchin' about?" My kids are 4 and 6 and this movie is completely inappropriate for them!
Educator and Parent Written byJennK99 March 31, 2013

A BIG disappointment

Personally I think this film along with other DreamWorks films are more for adults than children. There are several innuendos within the first 30 minutes of the film, one scene they are at a bar, another one of the captains says G-d. I was totally disappointed with this film.
Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written byajladd November 2, 2013

Messages not worth the language

In a world where kids equal animation with kid-friendly fare, this is the opposite. My daughter (9) and I watched this together and were shocked and disappointed in the amount of language in this movie . My daughter was actually angry at the amount of inappropriate language. There may be a positive message of working together, thinking of the greater good, asserting yourself, etc. but not enough to sit through all of that. If you want an incredibly well-written, kid-friendly, inspiring, and hilarious movie with A LOT of positive life lessons, watch Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs. Good clean fun with no language at all.
Adult Written byDisneyAddict November 14, 2011

Language was a turnoff, and completely avoidable.

You really have to know your child. I caught a few language items, "Bitchin" being one of them. Basically, if I don't want kids to say it, I either tell them that "that was inappropriate" or don't watch it, with the latter being the more popular choice. This movie could have some issues with sexual stuff with, "erotic fantasies" being a phrase used by the title character, plus cheesy pick up lines. Also, I heard the title character say, "Something about drinking from other insects anuses doesn't appeal to me", which is not cool for a kids movie. If you have a problem with drinking, the characters are shown in a bar setting where they drink aphid beer. Also be aware that there is a scene with gore (it's green, more jsut green fluid) being spewed everywhere from a termite, and a talking head (a friend gets decapitated). Really know your child. I think this movie can be watched by younger kids, just don't be surprised if they start talking about "bitchin" or something like that!
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byjenjergrl January 16, 2010

Good for older kids, not for elementary school aged.

I've seen this movie alone and with my kids several times, ages 8 and 5. The last time we watched it I caught several bad words and a couple of innuendos. I've decided to shelve it until they are older. My oldest realized the language and gave us the "did you hear that" look.
Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written bycmcculloh August 14, 2013

Language! Violence!

Language makes me think it is definitely not for younger kids. One character says "bitching" at one point, which was surprising and disappointing considering that wasn't mentioned here. Also, sort of dry and boring for younger kids and wouldn't surprise me if older kids found it boring as well. Want a movie for kids about insects? Try "A Bugs Life".
Adult Written byDr.Pepper November 10, 2010

For older kids

I disagree with the 7+ rating the site has. This movie is very violent for a PG movie including warfare and bloodless insect carnage such as a living decapitated head. The language was also strong for a PG movie including several "hell"'s "d*mn"'s and "crap"'s. Also one "b*tch". There is drinking and bar scenes and one character appears drunk.
Adult Written byAbenson January 6, 2014

Know your child

I must have seen this movie for the first time when I was about 7 years old and I can honestly say I never had a problem with this movie because as a child (and other kids too), I was innocent, therefore I never caught any of the adult themes in the movie. I understood that they were going to war and the General was the bad guy but the idea of political corruption is something children (even older kids) will most likely not understand. At the time, I could not understand the idea of feeling insignificant amongst a group of my peers either so in my eyes then this was simply a movie about two ants looking for Insectopia after getting LOST (not chased out) from their colony. I will admit to being a little scared during the war scene but like everything else I ever did or saw or "loved" as a kid, I forgot about 10 minutes later. I don't have kids of my own and I know that many children are extremely impressionable and that's why I do think parents should know their kids but overall if your child sees things he or she doesn't understand or isn't old enough to fully comprehend, wouldn't you rather be the person explaining to them what's going on?
Parent of a 5 year old Written bylizerbee August 11, 2013

Stick to A Bug's Life

wow. I get it's woody allen, but the language is crazy! lots of swearing. Stick to A Bug's Life. My husband loved the overt tones of communism (ha!)
Adult Written byjoshua martinez July 21, 2010

antz is good for younger kids the only problem is that it has cartoon violence.
Parent Written byEmilyH 1 June 21, 2015

Animated with bad language

The story line is good. They ruined it by allowing inappropriate language. My kids and I will never turn it on again.
Parent Written byEmilieL May 21, 2013

A good kids film with adult themes

Antz is not all happy and cuddly like most animated films. It's more dark and deep but that's not a bad thing - it's a great film to teach kids about individuality and the humour may not be very childish but that doesn't mean a lot children won't find it funny. Anyone around ten years old can enjoy watching this.
Adult Written by413804 February 4, 2012

Good movie, but not for kids

This is a pretty good movie. When i saw it has a kid i thought it was pretty boring. Kind of violent for smaller viewers