Parent reviews for Atlantis: The Lost Empire

Entertaining but intense adventure for tweens and up.

Adult Written byDragonsketcher1912 November 24, 2014

Why wouldn't you watch this?!?!

I honestly don't understand what people's problems are with this movie! The characters are interesting and memorable, it's got a good, is somewhat predictable story, the action is good, and it has a great story of what happens when you ignore the value of human life and lose respect for the past.

People say it's bad because there's violence, we'll, there's violence going on everywhere, in movies and in real life.

Yeah, one of the characters is a chain smoker, but a third of the population smokes anyway, and adults are bigger role models then cartoon characters.

The action is superb and I love every second of this film. If you're into the action genre and want a movie to introduce your child to genre as well, this is the best movie for it.

Adult Written bymovie-watcher girl August 23, 2014

Pretty Good

The animation makes the movie look like a cartoon rather than a Disney film. And there are no songs. There is massive destruction, a lot of shooting and stuff. And the villain turns into a blue monster at the end, but I like the movie. There is a lot of action and adventure, and it is fun to watch. Be noted that the movie starts with Atlantis sinking. Atlantians speak their own language, so we won't understand what they're saying. Luckily, Disney translated their speech onto English and wrote it on the bottom of the screen. So if you're finding it on the computer, don't think that you found a movie on [insert random language that you don't know] with English subtitles.

Adult Written byJoe J. March 5, 2018

there are positive messages

Yes, there is violence and what not in the film, however there is a positive aspect, which comes in the form of Milo. Milo seeks Atlantis just to find it, he along with the rest find it, and HE tells the others off for wanting to take the crystal though knowing it will cause the Atlantians to die. He somewhat succeeds and convinces the main rag tag group to not do it despite the possibility that they won't get any money from it.
He also rounds up a mission to stop Rourke and to get back crystallized Kida, and wins. Atlantis is once again safe, and is progressing again in technology thanks to Milo.

Adult Written byXiaoluya October 21, 2018

A movie waiting to be rediscovered

If you like sci-fi, adventure and period films, this is a great animated film to see set in the World War 1 era. Not a typical Disney movie, it's focus is on the lead's spirit of adventure and love for history and the past. It does not shield young viewers from the villains' greed, quirky passions and cynicism. There is violence but not glorified and nor bloody. The style is old cell animation fluid drawings. If your child is reading books like Eragon, Lord of the Rings,the Unwanteds, this is a movie they will enjoy.
The characters have more panache to them and references a lot to movie making of the past. The female characters are strong, the band of treasure hunters flawed but some with a change of heart in the end. There is a princess, she is smart, beautiful and saves her people in the end. But she does not sing songs nor parades in pretty gowns. The film sort of has an avatar twist to it. Some sexuality and lots of stereotypes, but if taken in context, it does work well.
The first part of the story drags a little, but once you get to Atlantis, things get really interesting. And the advanced space-age technology of the Atlantians is pretty cool.
See it first if you aren't sure. If your kids don't end up watching it, you at least treat yourself to a great Disney animation pre-digital age.
Adult Written byvalentinD September 19, 2016

good disney movie for 7 and up.

I love you atlantis the lost empire

Adult Written byT J March 6, 2020
Adult Written byRarityfan July 15, 2019

Boom baby!

Some of the many vanished Disney movies from the last decade that did not become major Blockbusters . Good for a guys night out, as it has lot of action and lovely girls.

Adult Written bySMaeCoco July 7, 2019

Unique

I love this movie and I watched it just now and really took the time to make a review for this. It's absolutely outstanding and beautifully made. The characters and story line are pretty good. It doesn't need such flamboyant singing and dancing scenes. It told its story and really caught my attention and support, that's more important for me. I'm sad I didn't got to watch this when I was little and I don't know why, but I'm happy that I got to enjoy this now.

Adult Written byBrendan K. May 24, 2015

Atlantis should remain sunk benath the sea. Where it truly belongs there!

Let's start off this movies review with the fact that I have watched the movie more than a few times and I couldn't find a proper hint of imagination or inspiration. The production rushed the film too much that the consistency in the movie is just pathetic lackluster along with too many smash cuts as in jumping from one scene and immediately to another making it sad to the fact that Atlantis is not Disney's finest work. Although the action is interesting, but the characters including Milo Thatch are completely imbalanced. Milo Thatch for example is just a worse than useless janitor working in the museum who is only fixated on cartography and extinct languages that he is completely useless in everything else such as driving a truck or otherwise. The male protagonist is just a pure example of one of the old American stereotypes. As for Kida and the Atlanteans, a once proud civilization now reduced to a bunch of primitives worshipping a mere crystal as their deity as their culture is not lost, but only forgotten. Anyways, the story is inconsistent along with the fact that none of the characters pull a hook in interest. Therefore, I would take the liberty of giving this movie one star out of five because it didn't satisfy me much less anyone else for the means of entertainment.

Parent of a 5 and 10-year-old Written bymichugalug July 22, 2010

The "sexy stuff" and violence was what made me NOT want my 10-year-old to see it

Unless you fast-forward it, this movie contains a scene with a woman with a low-cut, tight dress, cleavage and a long slit. She rubs her bare thigh, takes off her fur shawl, lets the shoulder strap fall down and slouches down in the share, talking in a seductive tone with sexy music playing in the background. All this goes on while the man is obviously drooling over her.

An old highly endowed woman states that she sleeps in the nude and the men joke around that they need to put an eye mask on because she walks around (nude) at night. This is a Disney amimated movie?

A robot makes a sexual proposition to a scantily clad woman with lots of cleavage. She punches him. The proposition might go over kids' heads and it is in French and whispered in her her ear, but it may also provoke questions.

Later, this same female looks as though she is going to undress in front of a blue lagoon and turns to stand in a very seductive pose while the guy is awestruck with her body and sex appeal as she takes off her skirt.

There is chain smoking and talk of a need for whisky,

Lot's of threatening with guns and beating up people to pressure them for information. Talk of killing a civilization and it being pleasurably worth double the price.

Felt like I was watching a non-animated R movie for adults. Lots of scenes with people trying to kill people. Lots of beating up. Not a movie for kids. Disney could have done so much more without all the garbage. Aside from all the inappropriate stuff for kids, it was not a good movie anyway.