Kid reviews for Atlantis: The Lost Empire

Entertaining but intense adventure for tweens and up.

Teen, 14 years old Written byGinnyOnFire April 27, 2020

This is amazing and people who say otherwise burn.

What is it with people saying Kida's clothes are too revealing? A) Men in this film are often shirtless and there's a scene where Milo's just in his underwear and everyone's FINE with them. B) Ariel anyone? But I guess because she's sings a happy little song about wanting legs everyone's fine with her. Kida's BADASS for crying out loud. Also, Jasmine's got her stomach out, and she's considered an EXCELLENT role model. ( I'm not saying she shouldn't have her stomach out btw) Geez glad my parents aren't so small minded and see this film for the blockbuster it should be.

Teen, 16 years old Written byashleytales August 8, 2012

Nothing wrong with it

When I saw this movie, I saw the candle lit in the honor of the deaths and was CONFUSED. I had no idea that people died. I wasn't even sure why they did that. I didn't realize people died until I was much older, the same way adult jokes went over my head. First off, I'd like to say that the sleeping in the nude line was NOTHING. It was an old lady saying that! I laughed as a kid because so many little kids complained about how their grandma slept naked. We were kids and we found it gross. So when the other characters were grossed out by it, we laughed! Kids don't need to be guarded by every little thing. Even if I had noticed that people died, do you really think it will scar me? Kids know that people die sometimes. As long as it wasn't Milo or Kida, I think we will be fine. If kids could handle MUFASA dying in the lion king, they should be able to handle the random soldiers in Atlantis. There really is nothing wrong with this movie. It was my favorite as a child. It definitely has educational value and there is a lesson to be learned from it. Also, Milo is a very positive role model. He's so nice and stays true to what he believes in. This movie is a MUST and its great.

Teen, 14 years old Written byMoonCrystal May 15, 2011

An Unknown Disney Master Piece

It's been my favorite sinse it came out. Non only is the animation and music gorgious behond all means, it has a magical touch. Many complain about the violence and 'sexiness' -when, I didn't even notice, nor did I care when I watched this film. My mother allowed me to watch as well, and she even enjoys it. Milo is a smart boy (some may label- nerd) and he doesn't give up on his dream to find Atlantis, even if it meant bunking with a crew that cares mostly about the money. They are taking serious risks on their mission- in a result of a few people lost (a candle was lit in their honor). Yes, there are a few guns and shooting- but nobody is shot streight on, the king is punched by the antoganist- resulting with internal bleeding. A few 'sexy' scenes are there- but little kids won't even get it- nor will they care really. This movie is indeed a master piece, dispite the little things. The characters have a soul- something you don't see much in today's entertainment. The Atlantians care about eachother, and when the outsiders came- Kida- (my picture/princess) tried to bond with them instead of fending them off as her father said should be done. The crew on the voyage to Atlantis changed heart the longer they stayed. Adults are overreacting over this beautiful and underrated film. People need to take a chill pill, drink some fruit juice, and watch the movie and let go of their over protective stride.

Teen, 15 years old Written byangelabovedemonbelow March 4, 2011

For tweens and teens

I saw this movie when I was very little and what I didn't remember about it was all the 'sexy stuff' nor the violence. What I remembered was a magical world with a whimpy but good-natured lead character and a very good plot. There is violence, but have a fun time not finding that in any movie today.

Teen, 14 years old Written byHappy Bookworm May 18, 2013

Favorite Disney Movie!

Some of these comments are exaggerated... there's a lot of violence, and Kida's clothes are very revealing, but I love it! It's so underrated. The graphics are absolutely amazing! The plot is engaging. Of course it has violence. It's an adventure movie! It could be too intense for some kids, however. Oh, and Helga Sinclair somehow gets into Milo's apartment in the beginning and talks in a seductive tone while showing a bare leg in a rather revealing dress. Milo is a positive role model, he stands up for what is right even though the crew turned on him.

Teen, 13 years old Written byAtlanticSkies May 8, 2010

Dive Dive Dive into this movie

Why is this movie not well known? I love this movie! Only 1 person rated it besides me. It isn't fair that stupid things are interviewed more than awesome things like this movie. Its beautiful and well done! And Princess Kida isn't even a part of the disney princess collection! She's a princess, and she's Disney!
Teen, 16 years old Written bystartrekfordays March 10, 2021

Violent but fantastic Disney classic is underappreciated.

Parents should know that although this animated Disney film has much more intense action than the others, it's still an underappreciated masterpiece. From excellent world-building, to fun characters, to great animation, and more, there's no reason why anyone ages 9 and up shouldn't see this film. It should also be noted that violence is the main concern here. This was one of a few failed PG rated Disney films released in the early 2000's. It marked an era of experimentation, one that didn't end well. Films like Atlantis and Treasure Planet carried PG ratings for their intense action sequences, and all of them bombed at the box office. Explosions, gunfire, and destruction peppers the runtime, as well as punching and some blood. The climactic final battle has lasers, some brutal fighting, and a mildly disturbing image of a man being crystallized and a smashed to pieces (off-screen). There's also a pretty high body count, easily in the thousands if you count the opening scene of Atlantis sinking into the sea. Aside from the violence though, there's very little to worry about. Romance, while present, never goes beyond embraces and a quick kiss, although there is a brief reference to "sleeping nude". The worst of the language is a barely noticeable use of the word hell. Smoking is pretty frequent, but the film supposedly takes place in the early 20th century, so that's to be expected for the time period. Overall, as long as your kids can handle the violence (remember, it is animated), than don't miss this unique and beautiful film from Disney. Many people hate on this film due to its lack of songs, but the soundtrack is still fantastic. Don't listen to the haters. SEE THIS MOVIE! My rating: PG for action violence and smoking.

Kid, 11 years old October 4, 2020

Honestly... I think it's very good.

Intensity. That is something that is missing in kids movies these days. Atlantis TOTALY has it and I like it! The story follows Milo, a young man trying to make his way through the streets of Washington D.C in 1914 by showing the museum his theories on the lost city of Atlantis. His life is turned around when he is asked by the tough-talking Lt. Helga Sinclair, to join her employer and his crew to discover the Lost City. He encounters the diverse team and something else, a lovely Atlantean Princess-Kida.

The Story is good, in general. The heroes are interesting but not that developed and their antics can get weird and stray us off storyline. Our antagonist though (I won't reveal who they are) is intense, exciting but dies a brutal death of exploding. It has Indiana Jones type violence but not as much sex/intensity. I give it a B+.

Kid, 7 years old August 23, 2019

Violent movie

I liked this movie OK but it was violent. I think instead you should watch Detective Pikachu.

Teen, 13 years old Written byLoranikas303 May 4, 2019

It should be a Pg-13

Atlantis the lost empire was the unofficial Disney movie but there is very violence. Milo Thatch uses the crystal blade to slice rourke then he turns into a terrifying monster. Princess Kidagakash Nedakh wears her revealing clothes or bikini to make boys look shy or bashful. Some female characters sleep in nude but it’s mentioned and not be animated. Mrs. Packard or other characters use drugs or cigarettes. That movie is for big tweens. It’s great animated or 3D movie kinda like lilo and stitch or treasure planet styled 3D film. Some words Audrey Ramirez says “shut up” to milo but it’s mild. Milo gets bleed during the glow bugs fight then Kida heals him. She’s like the Atlantian nurse. Some people don’t understand what Atlantians saying their own language but there is English captions on the bottom. Kida’s dad was punched by rourke and almost died, he’s like the old man. It’s Sci-fi movie. In the beginning, there is the giant tsunami kills the white haired man, it’s going to crash the empire. Young Kida’s mom is going to giant stones then she dies and protected the buildings by tsunami, kinda like Alien Abduction. There was a giant monster that fights the ship. It’s a machine when milo says “jiminy christmas!, it’s a machine” but jiminy Christmas is a mild word. It’s a scary monster that’s looks like a fusion of bug and sea lobster. Milo and Kida are kinda like human versions of WALL-E and EVE but WALL-E is better than than Atlantis. It’s does fit for family movie. It’s G rated film. In YouTube movies, it’s says Children’s movie. WALL-E is shy, friendly, fun loving and Milo is short tempered, nerdy, but he’s kinda good. EVE is kind, sweet, brave, and concerned and Kida is calm but kind and a warrior princess. Mole has almost same name as M-O (the cleaner robot), mole more dirtier, silly, he speak with his own language and looking at germs like m-o’s vision. M-O is very clean but he likes to keep things clean. He is short tempered, friendly and he’s childlike robot. EVE has healing powers like Kida. EVE heals WALL-E’s life when she’s kissing and she’s fixing WALL-E during when he was shocked by Auto and Kida heals milo’s blood when glowing. WALL-E is Adventurous and curious to discover new things like Milo. Kida meets milo in the first time, she speaks Atlantian language with a weapon and EVE meets WALL-E for the first time, she speaks Robot language( That’s her lovely robot voice) then she meets WALL-E again, she speaks different random languages. And that’s it!. Thanks for my review ;) oh I also forgot, wall-e and eve don’t need to sexual because they don’t have any genitals organs. They have human personalities. Wall-e likes his girlfriend but so sweet in the ending.

Teen, 14 years old Written byTessa.G March 7, 2019

Wayyyy too violent for younger audiences

I watched this movie again for the first time since I was little and I was SHOCKED at the level of violence this movie should be rated at. Not only were there hundreds of deaths, but they also died in terrible ways. Although, this movie almost “hides away” the violence. For example, when I watched this when I was younger, I did NOT notice that a whole city was left behind to drown, with almost all of its people. I also did NOT notice that the young teen of the crew shut a man behind a door when the water was right behind him, which we assume he dies later off-screen. I did NOT realize that a woman fell from impossible hights, survived, and was later killed off-screen by lava, which is confirmed. I would not suggest this for any child under the age of 13. This movie alone should be rated PG-13 for its “hidden” violence.

Teen, 17 years old Written byTacoshrimp00 February 21, 2018

Too Violent

There are intense action scenes and Characters tend to corrupt ancient people.

Teen, 17 years old Written byJohnathon B. December 31, 2016

One Of The Best Disney Movie's ever Released

I thought it was a Great Movie when i first Watched it but i never got a Chance to see it in Theater's back in 2001 sadly, I enjoyed watching the part when they go Under Water into what i think is the Atlantic Ocean but i found the Under Water Sequence a bit Intense because of how Big it was Revealed bigger then the Submarine in one Shot,and the Main Character Milo Thatch was right in Front of it's Eyeball up Close through the Glass of the Submarine and it's a little Creepy cause it's all Red Colored, For most of that Sequence was a bit Intense cause most of the Member's of the Team were Killed by the Giant Lobster going after the Hero's trying to Escape it, at the End of the Scene the Remaining Members of the Team who Survived the Attack gave the Team who was Destroyed by the Giant Lobster's Shooting Laser that Blew them up had a Proper Funeral by setting a Candle on the Water on Land next to an Area with Big Space and Tall Statue's & Walls, What i think the Real Message from the Movie that i think we can all Conclude that Money isn't Everything cause there was a Big Surprise at the near the End that the Leader of the Team Rourke was Proven to be Evil cause he was trying to Find a Big Sci-Fi like Object underneath the City of Atlantis where the King of Atlantis is at to get him to show him where it was at, & his Greed finally got to him he wanted to Touch the Crystal meaning the Heart of Atlantis which is a Big Bright Blue Round Shaped Object which Consumed a Character in one Scene & Next was him, He mainly planned on keeping the Crystal all to himself and he Attempted to Throw off a Character who was with Rourke and that made him a Traitor, The part when the Good Guy's tried to Stop Rourke's Plan to take away the Crystal from the City of Atlantis because there was a Scene that was Proven if the Crystal was Taken away from the City there Necklace which was part of the Crystal's from the Heart but to use for there City to Heal & Power Up Flying Craft's, My most Favorite Part of the Movie was the Ending Boss Fight between Milo & Rourke, and after Rourke had thrown the Character Off the Balloon which was Heading Up for the Surface because they were Deep Underground inside the Earth which was where the Sequence took place in she had said her Last Word and had Attempted to Shoot Down Rourke's Balloon with a Fire Gun like Weapon & she said her last Word's, Nothing Personal then Open Fire's at the Balloon which caused it to Pop with an Explosion which also Caused it to Lower itself down while Milo & Rourke were still Fighting & at one Point when he grab's Milo on the Throat and lifts him up while he's holding an Axe in the Air about to Kill him but then he has piece of Glass which the Crystal had Consumed the Piece of Glass, then Milo Cut's his Arm with the Piece then he Screamed in Pain and gets mad at him then the Crystal which Consumed the Piece of Glass Milo was holding onto now Consumed him which turned him into a Creepy Person which is Dark Blue with Light Redish Yellowish Color on his Eyes and has Glowing Crack's on his Body Milo was safe for the Moment and the Part that i thought was the Most Creepy & sort of Scary was the Part when the Creepy Monster like Guy grabs onto the Metal Bar near Milo which Scared him & then he Growls at him with a Creepy Sound then Milo leans the Part he was on top of which lead to Rourke's Death, Disney's Atlantis the lost Empire is Disney's 41st Animated Motion Picture ever Released from Disney Animation, I say it's a Great Movie for Family's :)

Kid, 10 years old July 1, 2016

great family movie

great movie about a man who would do anything to prove atlantis exists, it is ok for kids that know the movie is fake and know one actually dies, many characters are killed by a robotic monster and there are many explosions that kill many people a man is killed by a blade and a man is punched which kills him, a character is never seen without smoking.

Kid, 9 years old July 12, 2015

I came down the chimney, ho, ho, ho.

You will not be disappointed by this movie. There is beautiful animation, and Princess Kida should be recognized more. It also helps that Michael J. Fox is in it. (My 2nd favorite actor.) I also like Audrey. She's really cool, and of course, there's her best line, "It's about time someone hit him, I'm just sorry it wasn't me." And then, there's "I came down the chimney, ho, ho, ho." Well done, Helga.

Teen, 13 years old Written byNathan.G123 April 17, 2014

Atlantis review

Atlantis was an action packed adventure that any young boy 8 and older would love. I was still very surprised in Disney and the amount of violence put into this movie. It showed a great number of people dying at once. There are a few tragic scenes like in the very begging a large wave takes over an enormous civilization killing almost everyone. Though you don't see anyone dying you know that are. In another scene in the movie a large sub departs with a crew of about 200 later the same sub is attacked by a robot lobster looking thing tragically nearly all of the crew dies again you don't see them die but it is very obvious especially when the remaining crew puts a candle near the shore for respect. there are also a few explosions and hand to hand combat with very little blood. This also had some strong messages about greed and betrayal. I would defiantly not consider the villain in the movie to be scary just intimidating unlike the evil queen or other Disney villains he's really just an average Joe he has no powers or anything just a gun and a fist. he appears a little scary just before his explosive death when he is blue with ice and has fire in his eyes. as far as sexy stuff goes not much to worry about a women mentions she sleeps nude and another character wears a bathing suit that makes the other character blush. overall I say age 8 even though it is a bit violent for a Disney animated film.

Teen, 15 years old Written byJacob Haimovitz April 23, 2013

Atlantis: The Lost Empire is a scarier and more intense disney movie

Atlantis: The Lost Empire is too scary for kids it's got a lot of action violence in it.

Teen, 13 years old Written byEpicKevinMan February 2, 2012

Great Sci-Fi fun for kids and families!

OK, this is a great movie! The apocalyptic scences were not bad at all, since everyone lived Violence was a little bad,with one major charecter and many minor charecters deahs, but nothing worse than Lion King or Tarzan. 6+!

Kid, 11 years old October 8, 2010

I Can't Believe That Disney Can Make Violent Cartoons

OMG,this movie is so violent,with the punch,the guns,and the blood,plus the "not important" cigarette and martini,and the "kida's bikini", this movie is too violent,thank god tis movie is PG,if not,your son will be like a gangster guy.

Teen, 14 years old Written byEspumaMarina August 8, 2010

A beautiful movie that got rated lower than needed

Okay, the lady/person that commented below is true, there is all of that stuff, but when I was little, at least when I was four or five, I have watched this movie and I remember no bad influencing. I actually obsessed over this movie (followed by the mocking of my peers) and I saw it as magical, interesting, and a whole new story on a new/old civelization. Creative new animation, interesting story backgrounds, beautiful scenery and music, it was very well done, I wish they didn't add all of the sexual stuff though, that could have been left out. But this is still one of my most favorite movies. None of that stuff ever affected me, and my mom let me watch it. I remember I loved this movie in 1st grade and I dont remember mimiking the behavior on the movie. I'm suprised it didn't get rated higher, and I still wonder why Princess Kida isn't consittered a Disney Princess, she's a princess, and she's from Disney.. she dresses almost like Princess Jasmin, so her dress code cant be the reason. And it shows how the friends in the movie stick together, and they gave up the money offer. It was just an amazing movie, I'd let my kids watch it, of course not when they're 2 or something.. oh, there was a lady smoking, but that never infulenced me to smoke, it looked iky, my mom calls ciggarets ikys... and the violence included killing the king (only with a punch) and Dr.Sweet and Milo are in his care, there was also guns, but nobody got shot, although Helga got pushed off of an aircraft, but it showed her barely alive on the ground. But, again, none of this affected me, but it might affect others, but I was at least 4 when this movie came out and I fell inlove with it. Better than Hannah Montana anyways.