Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for August: Osage County

Affecting but exhausting dysfunctional-family drama.

Adult Written byMelissa4693 April 18, 2014

I wanted to relax and enjoy two of my favorite actresses, Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts. I had to turn the movie off after about 20 minutes due to the amount of curse words. I don't know anyone that uses that much foul language! A movie doesn't have to be squeaky clean but this was OVERKILL in the cursing department. Pass on this movie unless you're able to tune out the bad language :(

Adult Written bywonder dove February 2, 2014

A gem you can't miss!!

This film is exquisite. I was not expecting much from it as I didn't really like the trailer but the wonderful cast pushed me to at least give it a shot. I loved it, it's simply amazing and the acting is fantastic...actually the word fantastic doesn't even come close!! Though, it is not for everyone. Meryl Streep like you've never seen her before, she was incredible playing the mother of the Weston Family called Violet who has mouth cancer and is addicted to prescription drugs. Her husband Beverley (Sam Shepard) commit suicide and earlier hired a lovely nurse/maid Johanna (Misty Upham) to take care of Violet. Their three children Barbara (Julia Roberts) who's tough to the bone, Karen (Juliette Lewis) who's fun and easygoing and Ivy (Julianne Nicholson) who's insecure yet in a secret relationship. Then we have Barbara's husband Bill (Ewan McGreggor) who can't get along with Barb, and their rebellious teen daughter Jean (Abigale Breslin) who's a vegetarian and Karen's wealthy fiance Steve (Dermot Mulroney) who has a knack for hitting on young girls like Jean. Meanwhile, there's Violet's sister Minnie Fae (Margo Martindale) who has a secret confession and her husband Charles (Chris Cooper) who's protective of their son "little Charles" (Benedict Cumberbatch). The story is very depressing and a touch slow as there's many scenes of story telling and less action but it's totally engaging. The dinner scene being hilarious yet still serious. A lot people may relate to the stress of caring for a sick parent or family member, but in Violet's case (Streep) she made things miserable due to her drug-inducing outrageousness throughout the film which wasn't fair to the rest of the family, especially her daughters. This is one you have to see! Language is very strong and includes many f-words in various forms, sh*t is used frequently, c*nt, b*tch, ***hole, some religious remarks are said. Violence includes a man getting hit with a shovel (no gore), lots of arguments and some are hurtful, dinner plate throwing in one scene, results of a suicide is quickly glimpsed, a teen gets slapped across the face by her mother, an elderly woman is knocked down to the floor when a character tries to take her pills away. Sexual content has a grown man flirting with his niece which shows him playfully grabbing her with his arms around her, this doesn't last as they're interrupted. References to incest which is talked about throughout. A character jokingly calls another character a lesbian. "Vagina" is said along with a short non-graphic discussion about it between sisters. There is smoking and drugs with prescription drug use, pot is talked about and smoked between a man and his young niece in one short scene, a woman acts outrageous when she's on her pills. There is drinking during dinner. I'd recommend an age group of 16 and up for this one.