Kid reviews for August: Osage County

Affecting but exhausting dysfunctional-family drama.

Teen, 17 years old Written byB-KMastah January 17, 2014

It's like Tracy Letts butchered his own creation.

What a mess. Anyone could tell that this is an adaptation, which a good movie shouldn't be defined as. This is based off of a three hour play (which I haven't seen so my thoughts are totally objective) and the playwright himself adapted the film, but it totally feels like he didn't know what to leave out to achieve a two hour running time. In regards to the writing, they bring up every single conceivable domestic drama issue and implicate every single person, and it's all just so clichéd and numbing. Every time they introduce another issue, you literally groan because it's borderline outlandish and these characters don't do ANYTHING to help each other. This isn't a satire or a farce so it shouldn't be funny but they portray these people like, "Hey! Look at these silly people with their despicable personalities and endless problems!" No, these people are completely certifiable and no one tries to even care for anyone else despite the fact that they all seem to be on the verge of suicide. Nothing ever lands a laugh anyways. Next, they don't even conclude any storylines. It's not like this is the type of material that warrants interpretation, so it just comes off as lazy and incomplete. The introduce stuff just so they can heighten everyone's stress level and make everyone seem even more ridiculous and then the characters just leave and never come back. Honestly, one would think that they lost the last fifteen pages of the script. There's no emotional investment; the filmmakers just rely on the actors' talents to buoy the movie as much as they can. Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts were great (of course) and everyone else is good, but the rest don't get enough time or development to actually warrant their appearances. This is an extremely rare case when I'd say that a movie would have benefited from being longer, since you can tell that they gutted everything good out of the source material, leaving no universality or reality to these people. 4.5/10, bad, two thumbs down, below mediocre, etc.

Teen, 15 years old Written bycj98 February 23, 2014

Not just a movie, a FILM

I was left speechless by this film, it was amazing in all aspects. It's probably not suitable for most kids under my age (15), but it depicts a shockingly accurate depiction of a lot of families today (minus the incest hopefully). None of the characters should be seen as role models, that's for sure, and the only good messages here are knowing when to walk away and caring enough to get someone off drugs no matter what. It has a couple mildly violent scene--one where one daughter attacks a main character to get a pill bottle away from her and one where someone gets hit with a frying pan. Sex is not present, but a middle aged married man comes onto a 13 year old while they are high together. There is a lot of swearing and drugs and alcohol play big parts in the story.

Teen, 17 years old Written byIlovemovies❤️❤️❤️ July 28, 2014

For kids?

Julia Roberts and Meryl Streep did a phenomenal job as far as acting in this movie, but is it for kids??? There is a large amount of foul language including "c--t", "box" (referring to the a women's lower private part), "p---y", a lot of the "f--k" word, "s--t", "horse s--t" , "a-s", "a-s whole" etc. As far as sex goes, there is some strong sexual content. For example, A older character (around 40) try's to fool around with Abigail Breslin (16). Nothing serious happens and nothing is shown. Narcotics is strong in this movie. Abigail Breslin smokes pot about three times during the movie (nothing is shown) but it's obvious enough to figure out what she's about to do. This movie is for people that are mature enough to handle a dark, heartwarming, comedy about a dysfunctional family.

Teen, 17 years old Written byBestPicture1996 January 28, 2014

Entertaining in the nastiest way!

I see this labeled as a comedy sometimes. While there is pitch black humor to be found in this very theater-esque film, it's mostly coupled with three times the amount of intense, bitter drama. This sounds repetitive, but Streep is in pure form here, nailing the traits of a mad southern woman perfectly (I've known a few in my day, believe me) with a flawless accent; the movie's essentially a school in acting. Roberts gets the silver for her role as Barb, an equally fire-tongued woman who fears being like her mother. The cast is sublime, with few wrong notes hit acting wise, but in spots the heavy themes do weigh down on you, and it can be considered a little soapy. While I know it's a long-shot, I'm rooting for Streep to take home her 4th Oscar in this astounding role as a woman desperately wanting to stay the matriarch of this extremely dysfunctional family.

Teen, 15 years old Written byMOVIESRMYPASSION June 20, 2016

Well-made, but kind of boring

It was pretty boring in my opinion. It's really dramatic, but when there was a little comedy, it was pretty funny. Watch if you're sick or in the mood for a sophisticated film.