All parent member reviews for August Rush

Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byKunmingMom July 2, 2010

true love?

August's parents meet, start kissing after exchanging just a few sentences, come together in a one night stand, never forget each other, and eventually find each other, reunited in true love after 11 long years. There's only a little kissing shown on screen, so the images are not a problem. The more troubling issue: what constitutes true love? What forms the foundation of a durable, lasting love relationship that produces a stable marriage? Is it looking into each other's eyes on a moonlit night and sharing a mystical connection through music? I want my kids to be exposed to stories about what true love really looks like. I don't want to fill their imaginations with romantic but flimsy models of what it's like to meet 'the one'. This one's not worth seeing for a number of reasons. That particular message is most troubling to me.
Adult Written bytommysportsgirl April 9, 2008
sweet and innocent, with an excellent cast
Adult Written bymominthenow June 21, 2010
Loved it when we saw it in the theatre- bought it on dvd as part of Father's Day gift, and will watch it for the second time with our girls- ages 8 and 10 (both very mature)- this week...
Adult Written bybjjbrown April 9, 2008
My kids really liked this movie..The music was great...
Adult Written byannieplum December 16, 2008

Wonderful!

This instantly became one of my favorite movies. The story is definitely not appropriate for the younger crowd and is more geared toward tweens and teens. But oh ... what a wonderful movie. And the music was inspiring! I get chills every time I watch it.
Adult Written byhi5mama April 9, 2008
Adult Written bytdage April 9, 2008
Adult Written bynanny April 9, 2008

Loved it.

The little boy was terrific and we loved the story as well as the music. It is a warm and fuzzy movie with a happy ending. Great story. Go see it.
Adult Written byMatt Berman April 9, 2008

Beautiful and moving

This is the kind of movie everyone says they wish Hollywood would make more of -- flat-out gorgeous, exciting, moving, great for kids and adults, a true family movie, and perfect for the holidays. Visual and aural poetry, great performances. Leave the cynicism at the door and open yourself to the experience.
Adult Written byjohnnydogmatic April 9, 2008

A homage to music and hope

Married as I am to a classical musician and composer - and being myself someone who finds God and the Holy Spirit closest when I hear music - I was entranced by this film. An incredible witness to the power of music and a dazzling twist on (er..) oliver twist. As Robin Williams' character says, 'Music is God's little reminder that there's something more than just us'. The principal actor - the boy - plays an amazing role. I cried buckets! Beautiful!!
Parent of a 14 year old Written byobsrvr January 13, 2012

This movie is now #3 on my list of favorite artistic movies

While I agree with the parent who wrote that it should not be treated as a shining example of "true love", you can discuss that fact with your children. It's just a story. I had a harder time explaining the mysticism to my son. That said, I agree with the principal view that music is all around us, even though not everybody can "tune in." I did roll my eyes when little August, with only one lesson on actual theory and practice, writes this beatiful piece and gets accepted to Julliard and goes straight to conducting the Phil. You will need to explain that this is completely unrealistic; even musical geniuses need to study and practice to achieve such goals.
Parent of a 9 and 14 year old Written byleah.k December 6, 2009

Not just a chick flick...

I think it would be better for 13 & up mainly because younger kids wouldn't catch on to all the flash backs, and duel life scenes. There's a few disturbing scenes where boy get bullied but thats life in a boys home and its good for our kids to know that. This is a good movie to talk to the kids about the things money can't buy - the way music can make you feel, talent & how in the wrong hands can be wasted and of course love & soul mates even though the parents relationship is very unrealistic. All n all a feel good movie...
Parent of a 14 year old Written bytechiemom May 12, 2009

INSPIRATIONAL!!!

This movie is one we have watched over and over! What a super inspirational movie! Great for music lovers!
Adult Written bywonder dove April 4, 2009

Gorgeous music!

What an awesome movie! I meant to watch this a long time ago but I kept putting it off, until it was recommended to me. I must say this movie was very inspiring with gorgeous music throughout that gives you the chills. Great cast and amazing acting especially by little Freddie! Freddie Highmore plays a young kid named Evan who was born to young lovers Louis (Jonathan Rhys Meyers) and Lyla (Keri Russell). Lyla's over-protective father demands Lyla to not see Louis ever again when he finds out she's pregnant. The upset Lyla gets hit by a car which sends her to the hospital when her father breaks the bad news that her baby didn't make it. Only to find out 11 years later that her father lied to protect her, she starts searching for her son. Evan grows up in a group home hoping and praying each night his parents will find him through his music. When he runs away, he meets an interesting character called Wizard (Robin Williams) who provides a home for a huge group of musical kids who make money for Wizard. When he gets his hands on highly talented Evan and renames him August Rush, he tries to turn him into something he's not. But can Evan escape? In the end, a beautiful event unfolds that Evan has been waiting for his entire life. Language isn't bad but includes a few name calling words and d@mn. Violence is average with a cop-chase scene, off-screen car crash where a character is injured & hospitalized, a fight at a party between two men with pushing and angry yelling, yelling and arguing between father and daughter, bullying at a group home. Sexual content shows some kissing right after meeting. A couple have a "one night stand" and a girl gets pregnant, they're shown lying together fully clothed. There is pretty strong & frequent drinking for a PG, character appears tipsy. Fine for 11 years old and up!
Parent of a 9 year old Written bymumu April 9, 2008

Only for kids who know how babies are made

This story begins with a pregnancy growing out of a one night stand. My 8 year old who does not yet know the birds and the bees found this confusing and wanted an explanation. So don't show this to your 8 year old if they don't understand how babies are made and you don't yet want to tell them. The fact that the lead characters have sex within hours of meeting each other is also inconsistent with our families values, so keep this in mind too if you are planning to show it too your kids. All that aside, my daughter loved it.
Adult Written bymaewade April 9, 2008
Adult Written bypv140 April 9, 2008
Adult Written byrvrprop April 9, 2008

Three Cheers for August Rush

I loved this movie. It's similar to Amadeaus ( the movie about Mozart) but without all the offensive material. If you love music and root for the underdog, you'll love this one. Great story about believing in your self and never giving up on your dreams. I'de like to see it again.
Adult Written byrward325 April 9, 2008

Great Family Flick

I have children ranging in age from 7 to 16. we all left the theater loving this film. It is rare that I can take all six kids to a single movie and get a single consensus on it. This movie is fantastic in that it achieved a positive review from wife, myself and all 6 children. The story is a great one of love and fairy tale endings. Everyone I have recommended this film to has also loved.
Adult Written bycritic14789 April 9, 2008

Must See Entertaining Emotional

Modern fantasy with good acting, producing, music, and new talent. Take the whole family and be entertained.