Parent reviews for Bandslam

Music-driven teen flick is feel-good fun for parents, too.

Parent of a 10 year old Written byjames22 June 3, 2010

Good movie

Loved it! Very cute and liked the fact that there was no language, drugs or sexual humor. Some of the acting was off, but Hudgens' was right on.
Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byhcsmom August 13, 2010

Surprisingly good, nothing inappropriate!

This movie was a wonderful surprise. We rented it thinking it would be a predictable, slightly cheesy (yet enjoyable) High School Musical or Camp Rock type of movie. It was MUCH better! Some really unexpected plot twists, good acting, and a good overall message. The best part was that there was absolutely nothing "inappropriate" - no bad language, no sexual stuff, not even any type of "too skimpy" clothing. Our almost-13-year-old and her friend really enjoyed it, as did my husband and I. Definitely considering purchasing this movie to be able to watch it again. So good to see that a really good movie can be made without all the swearing and sexual stuff that is so common these days!
Parent Written bywestofphillypa September 14, 2013

Good family movie

Good family movie. We watched with a 7 year old in the room, no problems, just didn't keep his interest. The 10 year old loved it!! The music, plot and characters were all enjoyable, and can even keep the parents watching!

Parent of a 11, 16, and 17 year old Written byBrittanySnow August 24, 2013

Don't Bother its a waste of time.

A waste of time. I found the male protaginist, a nerdy souless looser. Vannessa Hudges was really really annoying both her acting and her singing. All of them were BAD at acting. But the blonde girl was the only one that made it watchable.
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written byromanceguru May 21, 2011

Something for everyone!

As a parent, it is so hard to find a decent family movie that have something for everyone. Usually, I lose interest quick in tweeny-dom, so I was surprised to find I really enjoyed watching Bandslam with my 11year old daughter. We cracked up at the smartly done humor, cleaver lead acting and narration, and enjoyed the touching moments that weren’t overly cheesy. Lisa Kudrow (from friends!) was a nice addition. I can't wait to watch it again with my 9 year old son, who I know will also enjoy this movie.

Parent of a 12 and 15 year old Written byMolly Mormon Mom April 16, 2010

Great Movie for Teens, Pre-teens, and Adults

This movie was much better than I expected. I'm not a big Vanessa Hudgens fan, but I actually liked her in this movie. I laughed, and I cried. The high school kids are played by adult actors, some of them around 30 years old, but they do a great job. My 12-year-old son wasn't excited to watch Bandslam, but he ended up loving it - he watched it several times before we took it back to Redbox. We might have to buy this one...

Parent of a 10 year old Written byMedievalClaire August 27, 2009

Adult Written byvarianmutatis March 27, 2010

If you like American Idol, you'll probably like this film.

This was an outstanding film for fans of avant-garde music acts like David Bowie or The Velvet Underground. There were several references to bands which I had never heard of, which got me interested in finding out about them. All three leads were quite good. It's unfortunate that this film was the victim of one of the worst marketing I've ever scene. I strongly recommend renting the DVD, or see it on InDemand pay per view. If you like American Idol, which is what the plot of this movie is. It's essentially a music contest for unsigned music acts, with some interesting character development thrown in,

Parent of a 11 year old Written byredsmama2001 September 16, 2009

Pefect tween movie .... boys or girls.

Went in thinking "ugh, this is going to be horrible" and I loved it. Had a great "you can do it" message, funny lines, great characters and fantastic music. My daughter and her friends loved loved loved it. They now want to take music lessons. We will definately purchase it when it comes out on video.
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written bymum2two September 2, 2009

Fine for tweens.... and entertaining for older kids/adults

I brought my 9 and 11 year old (and their friends) to this movie and they loved it. I did not find anything uncomfortable, inappropriate or disturbing about it. They came out of the movie saying they wanted to learn new instruments! (And download new music of course) - a great soundtrack for music lovers.
Parent of a 11 year old Written bysoccergrl11 May 2, 2010

This movie rocked!

I loved this movie

Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written byMaturin October 22, 2009

Does music mean a lot to you?

I took my seven-year-old, and she enjoyed it, although much of the subtleties went over her and her ten-year-old sister's head. I actually recommend this movie for adults who were alternative music fans during the disco era. I was too young to go to CBGB, just like the protagonist of this movie, who probably wasn't born yet in the heyday of punk. Pleasant nostalgia for any alternative music fan who just doesn't fit in with their day's popular music. It really captures the inner life of a alt music fan, in a sweet and almost-G-rated way. I liked it a lot.

Adult Written bysupermusicgirl10 September 11, 2010

Great movie for tweens, and adults!

Good movie. My sister's daughter who is 11 loved it! It is a great movie for older kids, and adults, too!

Parent of a 11 year old Written byluvdasox March 21, 2010

Finally, A good movie for TEENS and TWEENS!

I was so surprised when I watched this movie with my 11 year old son. We BOTH loved it! It was very funny and the music was great. There is NOTHING inappropriate or bad in this movie, just good, clean fun! Even teens will enjoy the contemporary plot. This movie was way underrated, don't miss it!