A Black girl sits next to her mom and dad on a couch, all smiling. She is pointing at a smartphone that they are looking at together.

Concerned about social media, AI, and screen time?

Subscribe to our newsletter and get the best out of media and tech.

Parent and Kid Reviews on

Bandslam

Bandslam Poster Image
Our Review

Based on 14 parent reviews

Sort by:

Good family movie

Good family movie. We watched with a 7 year old in the room, no problems, just didn't keep his interest. The 10 year old loved it!! The music, plot and characters were all enjoyable, and can even keep the parents watching!

Don't Bother its a waste of time.

A waste of time. I found the male protaginist, a nerdy souless looser. Vannessa Hudges was really really annoying both her acting and her singing. All of them were BAD at acting. But the blonde girl was the only one that made it watchable.

Something for everyone!

As a parent, it is so hard to find a decent family movie that have something for everyone. Usually, I lose interest quick in tweeny-dom, so I was surprised to find I really enjoyed watching Bandslam with my 11year old daughter. We cracked up at the smartly done humor, cleaver lead acting and narration, and enjoyed the touching moments that weren’t overly cheesy. Lisa Kudrow (from friends!) was a nice addition. I can't wait to watch it again with my 9 year old son, who I know will also enjoy this movie.

Great movie for tweens, and adults!

Good movie. My sister's daughter who is 11 loved it! It is a great movie for older kids, and adults, too!

Surprisingly good, nothing inappropriate!

This movie was a wonderful surprise. We rented it thinking it would be a predictable, slightly cheesy (yet enjoyable) High School Musical or Camp Rock type of movie. It was MUCH better! Some really unexpected plot twists, good acting, and a good overall message. The best part was that there was absolutely nothing "inappropriate" - no bad language, no sexual stuff, not even any type of "too skimpy" clothing. Our almost-13-year-old and her friend really enjoyed it, as did my husband and I. Definitely considering purchasing this movie to be able to watch it again. So good to see that a really good movie can be made without all the swearing and sexual stuff that is so common these days!

Good movie

Loved it! Very cute and liked the fact that there was no language, drugs or sexual humor. Some of the acting was off, but Hudgens' was right on.

This movie rocked!

I loved this movie

Great Movie for Teens, Pre-teens, and Adults

This movie was much better than I expected. I'm not a big Vanessa Hudgens fan, but I actually liked her in this movie. I laughed, and I cried. The high school kids are played by adult actors, some of them around 30 years old, but they do a great job. My 12-year-old son wasn't excited to watch Bandslam, but he ended up loving it - he watched it several times before we took it back to Redbox. We might have to buy this one...

If you like American Idol, you'll probably like this film.

This was an outstanding film for fans of avant-garde music acts like David Bowie or The Velvet Underground. There were several references to bands which I had never heard of, which got me interested in finding out about them. All three leads were quite good. It's unfortunate that this film was the victim of one of the worst marketing I've ever scene. I strongly recommend renting the DVD, or see it on InDemand pay per view. If you like American Idol, which is what the plot of this movie is. It's essentially a music contest for unsigned music acts, with some interesting character development thrown in,

Finally, A good movie for TEENS and TWEENS!

I was so surprised when I watched this movie with my 11 year old son. We BOTH loved it! It was very funny and the music was great. There is NOTHING inappropriate or bad in this movie, just good, clean fun! Even teens will enjoy the contemporary plot. This movie was way underrated, don't miss it!