All parent member reviews for Barbie: A Fashion Fairytale

Parent Written byjocelynaus August 24, 2014

Romance, boring, shallow and mean

We've been enjoying a few barbie movies lately starting with a Pony tale and the Christmas one. This one is awful. Barbie is sacked in the start, then the viewer thinks ken dumped barbie meanly, with weird social media references. Racquelle does her best hooker frenemy to orchestrate the break up. Barbie goes to paris with long and boring sequence where barbie is sad when she sees randoms coo-noodling which is very confusing for your viewers. Then an alien/fashion baddie accosts her before she finally reaches her broken insane aunt. Where they find a soul sister in the message "if people don't like what you do just give up" I'm not even paraphrasing much there. Ken even mocks a child to tears, no guilt/outcome he just has a "oh dang I made this kid cry and now they are loud." Look. When he finally reaches barbie to clear up the Raquelle orchestrated break up Barbie just accepts it and throws her broken heart out the window. It's a woeful movie. Truly woeful Do not assume because the modern pithy Life in the Dreamhouse or wholesome Pony Tale are a hit with your kids that the barbie back catelog will surprise in any way but how many inappropriate boxes it can tick.
Adult Written byBeckstar October 29, 2011

Barbie sucks now

AWFUL. Totally shallow, over dramatised and too glittery and sparkly. They have totally changed barbie's stories into these catty stories where no lesson is learnt. The graphics are also incredibly full-on. Especially in the scene where all that glitter was thrown on 'Barbie' it was too much and blinding. My mum who has seen all the films with me since I was a child walked away. She couldn't watch anymore. I would not let any little girl of mine watch this. NEVER in a million years. Barbie also looks extremely different now and her voice is all new
Parent Written byhydarra August 28, 2011

Materialism is Everything

Barbie is a self centered brat in this film. She is an actress (cliche) and all she cares about is clothes and shopping. The materialism in this movie is unbelievable.
Parent of a 6 and 11 year old Written byfastraxsg July 16, 2011

Love it!

I love fashion so I loved this movie.my lil sis loved it too. She loved the flairies. Barbie travels to Paris and I love it!!
Parent of a 5 year old Written bynicholio February 16, 2011

I thought the refernces to twitter and facebook were too mature. I don't feel any young children need to watch a movies where a director fires an actress for voicing an opinion or when a boy is 'dumping' a girl. My 5 year old has no idea what that is and I want to keep it that way. This was a tween movie done in animation.
Parent Written byembeau October 20, 2010

Barbie series, sweet with positive girl role models...age three and up in my opinion

My daughter has watched all of the Barbie movie series since age 3 and I think they are fun to watch, the characters are mostly kind to each other (no namecalling, bullying etc) and the bad characters are not that scary. This movie's villian is a designer who thinks she is the best and runs others out of business. Barbie and her aunt are presented with obstacles and overcome them with the help of their pets and fairy friends. Sweet and harmless, and positive girl role models. The barbie movie series are perfect for girls 3-6.