All parent member reviews for Barbie and the Diamond Castle

Parent of a 2, 3, and 5 year old Written byreadilyaparent February 12, 2010

Scary witch and her minion scared my daughter, sexual undertones scared me

My 3 year old daughter was incredibly scared by the flying creature the witch has chasing the girls. And thought it says no sexy stuff there is some pretty non-subtle hints of things such as one night stands. (The girls get a job singing at a "pub" where the "barmaids" attack the two minstrels the girls fall in with because they never returned after "that night" or something along those lines - it was pretty obvious to me, though I know a young child wouldn't understand what was going on - I just don't think that kind of behaviour should be viewed by kids anyway
Parent Written byembeau November 19, 2009

Barbie series is fabulous with great messages for little girls (age two and up)

My daughter (and all the girls at her preschool) all have seen the barbie series and talk about them endlessly. There is a silly, scary dragon in Diamond Castle but for the most part it is not a "scary" movie. My daughter scares easily but loves this movie. She started with the series at age 2 1/2 or so. I would recommend all of the barbie series except the nutcracker (weird and scary). Little girls love this series. For the record, I was NOT a big Barbie fan prior to seeing any of these dvds.
Adult Written byBeckstar October 31, 2011

lovely!

I love this film! Overall I didn't really like the 'friendship' plot. But I still liked it. The dogs were cute, but irritating. A great film for young girls. I'm 19 and me and My mother love all the films (not the current ones like 'Fairy Secret' though).. No problems in this film.
Parent of a 6 and 11 year old Written byfastraxsg July 16, 2011

Good lessons

It was a good movie for little girls because they love princesses. But it also teaches you to be loyal, strong and never give up!
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byTriasFamily January 29, 2011

Good music and parents will probably enjoy this, too.

My kids like this movie and so do we. It is one of the best Barbie movies of the ones we have seen. It has great music and songs. We liked the music so much that we even bought the soundtrack. If your kids are sensitive to scary things, it might not work for them, though. It does have plenty of female characters who actually talk to each other! The two main characters are best friends and the movie is a good example of friendship. They also help out another girl.
Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written bycatht September 16, 2010

Might be scary for some

We rented this and I naively thought that a Barbie movie would be safe for my kids to watch, at least in terms of not scaring them. I was wrong, and we ended up turning it off halfway through because my kids (3.5yo and 5.5yo) were both crying and telling me they didn't want to watch anymore. And they consider movies to be really fun treats, so this is really saying something. There's a scene where the girls' house burns down, and several scenes with a scary villain and her dragon. I think it was the dragon that put my kids over the edge.
Parent of a 5 and 11 year old Written bytwoandtwomakesfour March 10, 2010

Great movie

Love it! Great music, great movie.
Parent Written byCecilia927 April 7, 2009
Parent of an infant, 2, and 4 year old Written bymlmommyof3 March 16, 2009

Beware! Scary Parts!

There is a scene when a fire burns down the 2 main characters' house, there is a bad guy dragon and scary "witch-like" character. My 4 year old was fine, but her 4 y.o. friend was NOT. She was scared. The music and singing are great though.