All parent member reviews for Batman (1989)

Parent Written byI Tell It Like It Is June 30, 2011

Excellent movie. Not for kids.

There is tons of violence... A guy gets electrocuted quite gruesomely. (That is the worst of it, but there are a lot of fights, often people have blood on their face, etc.) 2 or 3 S-words, a B---h and a Bas----. A man calls another nam a D--k. Thats about it. We see a man and a woman kissing each other with her back against the wall. The scene then cuts to the next morning where the two are lying on a couch besides each other. (All clothes are on) The woman says later on in the movie, " I even SLEPT with you!" We also see a painting of a naked woman, very briefly, several times. We see EVERYTHING. There is also a painting of a man and a woman, we see the man's naked rear. He appears to be "engaged" with the woman. We can only see her head and shoulders, but she to appears to be naked. This painting gets a lot of screentime, but from a safe distance.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byohya August 6, 2010
shocked csm rated this for 9 year olds
Adult Written bykdestrello@yahoo.com September 24, 2014
Inappropriate times. But its a good movie. There is lots of violence at times person gets burned up.
Parent of a 14 and 14 year old Written byxmasterxofxmyxd... November 10, 2008

a classic batman movie that every batman fan should watch

acting- 4/5 cinematography- 4/5 art direction- 4.5/5 direction- 4.5/5 musical score- 4.5/5 a great batman movie that set the tone for all the other serious comic book movies, because before this there was alan moore's the killing joke, some other dark comics and adam west's batman, so this really set the tone for was what to come
Adult Written bylouisa1 February 21, 2015

tim burtons dark adventure may be scary for young kids

don't get me wrong, this is an adventure for the family, though some kids may not be mature enough for this films dark themes. violence: there is a lot of guns in the first climax with police offices getting shot, and our main villain: jack napier falls into a huge amount of acid, and his face is scarred (may scare young children) then he ends up shooting a man stabbing a man in the neck with a feather pencil, tazers a man till he's a skeleton, a man is shot in the face, a women is shown to be very badly beaten, and ends up jumping out the window (offscreen but may scare children) he's shot at by batman, and at the end climax he falls off a building to his very dark death, the good role models consist of: batman (though very often he uses guns he always does what's right for gotham city) vicki vale (a very nice and non whiny female character) and finaly harvey dent (in this movie he dosen't turn into two face and ultimatly is very helpfull to the comunity) all in all batman is a great family movie only make sure your kids are mature enough for the violence.
Adult Written byAndy RC April 7, 2012

Kids loved it. every kid saw this

I was 4 when i first saw Batman. My mother let me watch it because she assumed it was kid friendly, like the tv show. I do not remember finding any part of this film scary or disturbing. I loved it. as an adult I can see how dark it really is, but this stuff goes way over children.
Parent of a 5, 10, and 13 year old Written byshadowfc June 29, 2009

Entertainment only; appropriate for teens.

Saw this for the first time in about 20 years last night with my 13 year old. There was some language that was a little harsh - a couple of sh-, son-of-a-, and a bast-. Other than that, the Lord's name was taken in vain a few times. The sexual behavior is pretty obvious, since Vickie and Batman are shown in bed together and she later recounts "I even slept with you". Lots of drinking - wine, scotch - Vickie admits that she's drunk. The violence was not bad by today's standards. Much worse can be seen in primetime. Ah, and don't forget the American Express placement - don't leave home without it. Overall, it was ok for my 13 year old, but it was sheer entertainment. There were no good role models in the movie and we had to have a little conversation about casual sex. After all that, let it be said that I really liked this movie as a teen myself. It has some classic movie lines in it that are still used today! Jack Nicolson is truly classic in this role.
Parent Written byMurphy04 December 7, 2015
Michael Keton is the best batman Funny Great But Violent Not for Under Tweens
Parent Written bycoolkid007 September 4, 2013

not for kids under 13

Well it is a good movie although there are two f-words and other profanity, the violence is medium for a PG-13 movie. Joker is pretty evil, there is also a joke about drugs, drinking and drunkeness. There is also some kissing and a bed scene
Parent Written byStepMomSterToo July 23, 2012

Tim Burton's Vision of Batman

I am surprised that this is a nine and up on this website. I feel like after watching this movie recently, it's actually on the darker side. This is not an Adam West movie, although it's not mature like the Dark Knight trilogy. I wouldn't just give this movie an open thumbs up for every nine year old. Know your kids, there is shooting, people dying and some images that could be scary for the immature 9 year old.
Adult Written byVFX_Punk March 30, 2012

This is THE best Batman movie, but will your kids be okay watching it?

I'm a huge fan of the Batman comic books, and I've loved the series since I was a four year-old. What I am genuinely surprised about is how no one even went into the grotesqueness of some of the stuff the joker does (He permanently disfigures his girlfriend for kicks). There are also a whole bunch of double entendres, not to mention the Joker has an extremely unhealthy fixation on Vicki Vale. I first saw this at age ten, with my Uncle and to be honest this is my favorite Batman movie thus far, but before you let your kids watch this you need to know whether they are mature enough to watch this stuff. And also depending on your kids age it may not be something they can watch due to some of its contents. It's a great movie, but just be sure your kids are okay to watch it before you play it for them.
Parent of a 11 and 13 year old Written byOKinOK January 2, 2012

Sadistic Joker and electrocuted corpse too much for my 10 year old

Our 10 and 12 year olds watch a lot of movies, but the extended scene with the creepy electrocuted corpse was too much for my 10 year old. Jack Nickolson's Joker was theatrically sadistic, which crosses a particular line with young children. We had to stop the movie, though half of the family could have continued watching and would have rated this movie OK. The movie moves a bit slow, and it is amazing how much has changed in movie making and technology since 1989.
Parent of a 14 year old Written byTsion September 1, 2009

Starts Great, but Ends Up a Let Down...

This isn't a great movie. I will admit that Tim Burton creates, in Gotham City, a very intriguing place of darkness and corruption. However, nothing much happens there. The film is all set-up and not much pay off. The first 20 minutes of the film are engaging and, quite frankly, the best Batman stuff I've ever seen. However, it all goes downhill from there. Joker feels like a dillousional circus clown, not a satanic villain. Also in the beginning of the film, we are given two cool heroes: Vicky Vale and Bruce Wayne (Batman). The movie also gives us a sexy romance between them. However, soon afterwards, these characters become stale. They are so boring, we have to be reminded to root for them. This movie reaches greatness, then falls down into complete ludicracy. In the end, you will feel let down. Two scenes mainly make this film inapropriate for kids. In the first, Joker shoots a man multiple times to carnival music. You see the man's body, and blood on his desk. Later, Joker electrocutes a man, leaving a charred skeleton behind. Some people die in creepy ways, becoming like Joker right before they die. There is brief mention of Vicky and Bruce sleeping together, but nothing is shown. Language can get coarse: "SOB"s, "d*ck", "d**n", "b****rd", and "a*s".
Adult Written byThe Real Family... July 31, 2015

Don't waste your time.

If you wouldn't allow a stranger into your home to assault your children with swear words and sexual advances, why then would you allow these Hollywood actors the opportunity to do so? In addition its lame acting, the special effects, makeup, and wardrobe is amateurish at best. Don't give Hollywood access to your kids. This movie is totally inappropriate for children.
Adult Written byLazercheese December 27, 2014

**** it, it is very dark

Parent Written bySinfoniarc December 7, 2012

Outdated But Still A Good Movie

I'm not sure that Common Sense is being completely fair to Michael Keaton's role in this movie. Keaton portrays Batman as the dark, mysterious, character that he was first drawn to be. While he certainly lacks the intensity of Christian Bale's Batman, he does the role justice. I can't argue the fact that Nicholson steals the show from him, though (and is appropriately given top billing for his performance). I would attribute Nicholson's performance to being closer to that of Cesar Romero as opposed to Heath Ledger. Parents will certainly appreciate that when it comes to deciding whether or not to let their kids watch this movie. Language is generally mild but it's PG-13 and there is some bad language. The Joker's antics are pretty zany but for the most part mild by comparison to The Dark Knight. It's an action movie, so be prepared for some cartoon-ish action violence.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 July 21, 2012

batman 1989

Families can talk about vigilantism. When Batman decides to punish or kill criminals himself, instead of handing them over to the police, is he doing the right thing? For younger kids, you might discuss whether Batman acts like a good guy when he dangles people over city streets or kills criminals. Older kids might be interested in discussing real life instances of vigilatism and contrasting that with what happens in the movie.
Adult Written byChuck Reid March 21, 2012

Wonderful movie!

This movie is really funny and entertaining.If you love Batman you'll love this!
Parent Written bycsmreviewer100 September 16, 2011

Joker portays very adult themes

The Joker's malicious treatment of women alone warrants an older age for viewing this movie. Don't get me wrong, I like the film, but the movie is nightmarish and has a skewed reality that younger children could understand incorrectly. Perhaps CSM's review is confused with the more cartoonish Batman's that followed.
Parent of a 4 and 5 year old Written bylkrs42 February 13, 2011

I knew where the cuss words were so I just sneezed real loud.

One of the best, if not the best superhero movie. My kids liked it. There are two sh** words within the first 10-15 minutes of the movie, with the rest of the film consisting of the normal swearing.