All parent member reviews for *batteries not included

Educator and Parent Written byJeaugh May 31, 2012

Don't go on your childhood memory!

Do not go on your memory from childhood! I watched this with my 6 1/2 year old and this movie has too many adult subjects that are presented in a scary way... A boyfriend who leaves his pregnant girlfriend, Elder Abuse, Alzheimer's, Thugs who swear, threaten, and end up and almost killing sweet people by burning down their apartment complex! Need I go on!? Oh and flying saucers having "relations" and then little flying saucer babies come which are so cute until one comes out "not working" but it is upsetting and they have a funeral for it! Do not watch this movie with young children unless you are ready to address these topics and more.
Parent of a 9 year old Written bykaizenn January 17, 2015

The zero 'sexy stuff' rating is BS.

True, there is only the one painting scene. But it is full on naked boob and nipple. I had to have a long talk with my 9 year old daughter about it today. I don't miss you 80's, and your odd levels of inappropriateness. Oh yeah. About a dozen "God Dammit"s.
Educator and Parent Written byTabytha January 25, 2013

It's not what you remember as a child!

I had fond memories of this movie as a kid. I've been watching 80s family movies with my children lately and I thought this might be good. I had forgotten much of the movie, and had just a general feeling of enjoying it. I came here for reviews and it seemed - from the front page review - that it was good to go. You can imagine my surprise when the swear words started coming. As well as the somewhat intense/scary scenes in which the 'thug' demolishes the elderly owner's restaurant and is incredibly rude to the people. There is another scene in which the thug and his cohorts bully and taunt a Very pregnant young woman - making cat calls, tugging at her, yelling at her, chasing her through the building etc. I sat a bit deer-in-the-headlights through those bits and hoped it would only go up from there. Thankfully it did, but I wish I had been prepared for those parts. Had I known, I'd have waited a while before showing it to my 9 and 7 year olds. :/
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byINeedaDP July 18, 2010

Good story, not so good language

Like another reviewer, I too saw the film when it was first released and had good memories of it. However, once my family (including 8 and 5 yr olds) were watching it, it was apparent that the language was a problem. Several h***, at least one G-D, and at least one soab. That and the partially nude painting, along with the thug violence struck me as over the top for anyone under 12 yrs. Wish it hadn't been there, because it's a really good story that the whole family should have been able to watch.
Adult Written bykitsabbe June 11, 2010
While I thought this was a cute movie when I saw it when it was first released, it was definitely NOT appropriate for my 8 and 6 year olds. I read the synopsis on here and saw that it didn't mention language being a problem. It WAS! There were all kinds of swear words and other expletives. It was terrible! Also, the artist painted a partially nude painting of Marissa showing her bare breasts. Again, definitely something I didn't want my children to see. Very disappointed that commonsense let me down this time. There was more violence in this movie than I think my children should view for entertainment purposes, too.
Parent Written byMum of 2 boys April 23, 2016

Parents beware!

We thought this movie was for families. Absolutely not! There is cussing peppered throughout the movie. There is an artist who paints a nude of his wannabe pregnant girlfriend. My boys could not believe it and neither could we. Quite shocking and they asked us to turn the movie off. This movie is really not very good. Don't waste your time. Or your kids eyes and tender hearts!
Parent Written byjstamps November 16, 2010
Parent of a 6 and 14 year old Written bymmrichar April 9, 2008

cute and clever marred by needless language and violence

most of the movie is great, but i was sorry we rented it for our family for two reasons: 1) the thugs in the beginning are excessively violent. it was well beyond what was needed for the storyline. it was so much, even our 14 yr old chose to go read a book within 10 minutes from the start. 2) they use every common expletive except the f-word at least once. how is that family fare? it's too bad, because it would have otherwise been a cute movie.
Parent Written bynaeelad April 28, 2016
There's a lot more sexy stuff then they imply on this review. And they curse a lot as well. I've heard S.O.B. about 2 or 3 times.
Parent of a 9 and 13 year old Written bygecko01 April 23, 2016

Cute movie for older kids

My 13 year old daughter and her friend enjoyed it. It didn't really keep the attention of my 9 year old which was ok because it was a little scary for her in parts. There is some swearing. The violence is mostly property damage, but it can be a little frightening for younger children. The only part we had to skip was a scene in which the artists character is painting a topless woman.
Educator and Parent Written byMMJsMommy April 17, 2016

Watch the Language

I allowed my kids to watch it because the rating said there was no bad language in it. Unfortunately, there were more SOBs and GDs in the first 20 minutes than I've heard in any movie they've ever been allowed to watch. I was disappointed in the other age ratings. I would make the age suggestion lower if not for that.