All parent member reviews for Bedknobs and Broomsticks

Parent Written bymadronemedia April 9, 2008

Classic movie with Bizzare Nazi Imagery

I hadn't watched this in many years. The commentary on WWII seems way out of place for a family movie geared at kids.
Parent Written byronfein August 6, 2014

A little hard for kids to understand

It requires a detailed historical backgrounder beforehand (WWII, Nazis, evacuating children from London, etc.) and sometimes during. Also, everyone has an English accent, and several are quite thick (including the children). My kids didn't fully understand many of the main details: that Ms. Price isn't their mother, that the village they're sent to isn't London, etc. That said, they mostly enjoyed it. They laughed at the soccer game on the Isle of Naboombu and the final battle against the invading Germans. My 7yo was initially very frightened when Ms. Price looks out the door and sees Nazi soldiers staring at her, so here's a pro tip: after Mr. Browne leaves for the train station, right when Ms. Price starts to put the cat out for the night, pause it and warn younger children what's about to happen.
Parent of a 5 and 9 year old Written bymichugalug November 30, 2009

Not good messages for kids, and also violent, sexist and anti-German

Sexist, Anti-German, way too violent and scary for the 12 and under set. Also, what is up with the lingerie-clad woman walking on the railroad tracks? I recommend Chitty Chitty Bang Bang or the Absent-Minded Professor.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byeswanson April 9, 2008

A nice change from the same ole stuff

Our 4.5 yo loves this movie and I couldn't find a single objectionable thing about it (unlike most current Disney movies). We did have to do a bit of explaining abt the presence of the soldiers at the end. The reason why the kids are at Ms. Prices' house (escaping the Blitz) went over his head completely and that was fine with me. The oldest child's accent can be a bit difficult to understand but it gave us an opportunity to talk abt how people who live in different places speak differently. Overall, we enjoyed it. I was quite surprised to find it on the shelf of my local video store. I suspect if we want to buy it, I'll turn to eBay.
Adult Written bytommysportsgirl April 9, 2008

One of the best Disney movies ever!!

It's both touching and inspiring. A must-see for everyone!!!
Parent of a 4 year old Written byfierce_mink_2000 April 9, 2008

I really enjoyed this movie as a child, and looked forward to being able to share it with my children. I rented it a while ago to see if I thought it was ok (refresh my memory) and I don't think it is! I think the ghost army is scary, and the Nazi's and the ghosts shoot at each other. I realize my kid is young yet, at 3 1/2, but I am just not ready to discuss Nazis, and why they are evil with him.