Parent reviews for Beethoven

Sloppy but lovable dog tale has violence, innuendo.

Adult Written byk8nadamsmommy August 13, 2010

Funny, until the exploding bullet plot became clear!!!

Okay, we read the reviews posted here before we loaded this movie for our 4 and 8 year olds and thought we were in for a movie night treat. The slapstick was funny at the beginning, but the angry dad got old quick and required discussion for my children, who have never seen such a grouchy dad before, except in Peter Pan and Mary Poppins.

We sat uncomfortably through the scene when the dog is in bed with the dad licking his ear. The dad makes suggestive remarks, thinking his wife is in bed ("Someone's feeling naughty" and "It isn't even Saturday night"). We TURNED IT OFF when the extent of the villain's plan became clear... they kidnap dogs, especially ones with big skulls to TEST EXPLODING BULLETS ON FOR PETE'S SAKES!

I admit, I didn't finish watching it after the bullet scene... my two kids got scared seeing all the dogs in cages and the sneaky vet. So, we turned it off and watched something else.

Disappointing, since I count of this website to help me avoid such situations!

Adult Written byLemon It June 19, 2019

Animal Abuse Alert

They should make it against the law to watch this movie. The villains are trying to kill the dogs with guns! ANIMAL ABUSE ALERT! DO NOT WATCH!

Adult Written byMelodie S. September 30, 2016

The villains want to shoot the dogs with exploding bullets.

Wowsers. I should have read the parent reviews before sitting down to watch this with my 10, 8 and 4 year old boys. The crazy scientist vet guy is scary enough without the addition of the image of a hand gun along side many rounds of ammunition that are supposed to cause "a lot of damage." How could common sense media think this would be ok for kids under 12? Worst of all: the comeuppance for the vet is that a tray of ~20 syringes he has filled with different colored chemicals for the captive dogs (and, ok, anyone who vaccinates their kids probably has kids who are not super excited to watch anything to do with shots! The writers could have just had the vet wanting to test medicines or something and that would have been super scary enough!)-- anyway-- the whole tray of syringes gets flipped as the dogs escape and all of them plunge into the vet's torso. That's an image my kids are not going to forget easily.

The rest of the movie was a lot of fun, and we did alright by trying to zoom through the ominous parts. I mostly just feel bad because I thought I took enough time to find a non-scary movie and I blew it.

Adult Written bydjyossarian September 13, 2013

Beware the part about shooting the dogs in the head to see how their skulls would react

I'm shocked that this seems to be suggested for kids 6 and above. My concern is with the plot line of the bad guys testing the affects of exploding bullets on the skulls of large dogs. It upset my 7 year old to the point of tears. On the plus side, the dog is gorgeous.

Adult Written byRebeccaSpark September 9, 2019

Bad cartoon. Bad movie, too

Wow I can't believe I used to like this trash. Sparky is a bully who is constantly negative for no reason. George screams and yells like a child and he is an adult. Alice is a baby who tells George Beethoven loves him for no reason and loves Beethoven for no reason, and dreams dumb dreams such as Beethoven being a hero that hurts innocent children. George's wife Emily is actually sane, but George screams at her for no reason. Ted freaks out over a science project. Ryce acts like a 4 year old even though she is like 21 years old. Mr. Huggs is an dumbhead who thinks he is a guinea pig even though he is a hamster. Ginger is a terrible friend who screams at her friends and calls Sparky a grouch for whatever reason. Caesar is a stupid dog who knows nothing about life. This show also features scary scenes such as George and Emily falling out of their house, a bull trying to kill Alice, Beethoven biting people, and Sparky almost gets killed by a grown woman who acts like a teenager! This show is completely stupid and dumb, and never watch it because it is also an obvious ripoff of various shows and it teaches kids bullying, swearing, and kicking.

THE MOVIE SUCKS TOO!

Adult Written bytwoplustwo June 24, 2012

Beware of Lethal Injection

As a mother of dog lovers, I thought that this would be a home run. I was unprepared for discussion of putting a dog to sleep or why the kids thought that it was "awesome" that the dad punched the bad guy. There is also some sexual innuendo as the father mistakes the dogs licks for his wife's advances. It is weak in story line, but can open up a discussion for grey areas in life and art for kids who are ready for those discussions.

Educational Value
Adult Written byAlice Madiran June 18, 2019

Stick with the animated series

The kids loved the animated series so much we decided to watch the movies. I bought the VHS for $30 which was WAY OVERPRICED along with the sequels. We were excited because the animated series was cute and fun and we thought the movies would be same. We were wrong. The movies were nothing like the animated series, and when the villain tried to kill Beethoven we had to turn it off. I couldn't believe this dark movie inspired the cute and cuddly animated series! This movie also had sexual jokes, swearing, and BLOOD! This is adult content. If I were you, I would avoid this dark adults movie and stick with the cute and cuddly animated series. The animated series is kid-friendly!

Adult Written byreecel August 25, 2015

12A at least (SPOILER ALERT)

thers a sene where the villans arm is cut open and bleeding wich may be desturbing to some.

Adult Written bymeliferafox October 9, 2014

Great movie, but not for very little kids

We watched this after checking the common sense media rating. They rated it for 6 year olds...The sub plot of the movie revolves around sketchy creeps stealing dogs for animal experimentation. Implies that dogs will be shot to test bullets. My 6 year old grasped the concept & totally lost it. I enjoyed it, but it's not for 6 year olds!!!

Adult Written byByShaunBailey June 10, 2020
Adult Written bysd5 February 22, 2020

Nope

I loved the cartoon from the 90s. But these movies are not good. They don't have the charm of the cartoon. Search up Beethoven The Animated Series on the internet and watch the cartoon. Avoid this trashy movie.

Parent of a 9-year-old Written byJackandeoin September 11, 2019

Remembered as a classic but watched disappointed.

Beethoven is a beautiful family film with great acting and a unique script dialogue. This movie was remembered as the best dog tale yet, but you just don't get the same feel out of it anymore! And I hardly remember any of the harsh animal cruelty and abuse throughout. Some scenes in this film wouldn't be the most appropriate for kids. But this movie deserves its praise for storytelling and script writing.

Parent of a 2, 5, and 8-year-old Written byjengrammer June 12, 2010
I'm not sure why common sense media would be concerned about a bad tone on working moms. Every family is different and just because the mother in this movie decided against having a career and being there for her kids doesn't make it wrong or something to "warn" parents about. I think the slapstick comedy and thematic elements make this appropriate for 8 and up and sweet movie to watch as a family.