Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Being There

Amazingly poignant performance by Peter Sellers.

Based on 1 review
Adult Written byshonb May 27, 2015

Good

Free

Adult Written byimprove April 4, 2012

A glimpse at the truth??

This is one of my all time favorite stories, and I am glad a film was made from it. This movie depicts how people, through their own choices, misinterpret the acts and utterances of a very simple man. It just so happens that in this story, the believing people have a lot of political clout, causing the simple man to become a prominent figure in national politics. There is no reason to believe this kind of thing does not happen on a regular basis, and it is a good step from which to launch the idea that you must really think about what any leader is saying, if it makes sense, and if it will ultimately serve our community.
Adult Written byjmo97 October 21, 2016

Incredible performances, but not for younger teens

Peter Sellers was absolutely tearing me apart when seeing this movie. He plays a gardener who gains fame because of his supposed "words of wisdom". It is a critique of the way the media reacts to people's actions and what misunderstandings can result because of that. It ends a little weird though, and I feel like I need to see the film again to get a better grip on what else it is trying to say. Concerning content advisory, there is no violence, only a scene where a man is threatened with a knife. I might have recommended "Being There" for most teens if there weren't a couple of really suggestive moments, including two seduction scenes (one has masturbation) and some lingering sexual dialogue and references. As a whole, I think this movie is definitely worth watching, but I would also recommend parents know what they are going into before showing it to teens. 7.8/10