All parent member reviews for Bend It Like Beckham

Parent of a 3, 5, and 11 year old Written byMcMac August 3, 2009

A great mother/daughter movie - opens the path to communication and discussions

As with many movies of this nature, my daughter and I watched it together. In doing this, we are able to discuss any situation or concept that appears which in-turn opens the lines of communication to what might be otherwise difficult for my daughter to ask. We both loved this movie and felt that the characters were great role models, not only in their emotions and lives, but in their desire to make their families happy, as well as themselves. We still watch it time and again and continue to discuss different ideas and concepts as my daughter grows older and has new questions. We still quote many lines from this movie, that would have otherwise been uncomfortable for my daughter; however, we were able to discuss them and now we joke about them!
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

A wonderful, funny and profound movie for everyone.

Good story, feel good movie with subtle points. Should appeal to all ethnic groups. Clever and solid characters.
Adult Written byRajen April 9, 2008

An Indian "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" but with a much richer story

I loved this movie in so many ways! It was funny and playful and yet deep and thought provoking. It was a great Dad and daughter movie - a real departure from the stereotype of the rigid Indian father. It deals with the divided loyalties that 1st generation immigrant kids often face in wanting to be of two worlds - respectful of their cultural heritage but determined to make lives that are uniquely their own and different from their parents. The light touch that the Director uses in dealing with cultural and gender differences is wonderful. I took my 9 year old soccer-loving daughter to see it. I must admit there were moments in the film (kissing scene at a nightclub, a brief groping makeout scene in a car) when I squirmed because it felt a bit too mature for her, but all in all I'm glad we went.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 July 5, 2012

bend it like beckham

Families can talk about why Jess feels she cannot talk to her family about her love of sports and how she defends her subterfuge. How does her father's cricket experience impact his view of Jess' soccer playing? What might be the common bond between Irish Joe and Indian Jess?
Adult Written bysss April 9, 2008

16&up

good movie, but it has a lot of sexual content.
Parent of a 11 and 13 year old Written byk9hunt March 16, 2009

Uplifting and engaging

This is a wonderful coming of age movie with interesting cultural aspects. It is well acted and is an excellent choice for young teen girls even if they don't play sports. Cast includes Kira Knightly.
Educator Written bycaffinegirl85 October 22, 2011

good movie

good movie 2 girls who play soccer i think its a good movie for teens tweens or even adults !
Adult Written bylindaburch@eart... April 9, 2008

Fabulous movie for

Adult Written byaecdoglover April 9, 2008

Great Movie

Nonstop laughs and touching story. I saw this movie when I was 9 and immediatly bought it on video. How come Indian parents are always depicted as controlling and strict people? One of the best parts were when Jess' teammates were trying to figure out how to wear a sari.
Adult Written byaleyda April 9, 2008
Parent of a 4 and 9 year old Written bykvirgin April 9, 2008

Fun to watch with teen boys and girls

I watched with my neices and nephews, and it was interesting to discuss afterward how young adult life differs by gender, culture and class. This movie provided lots of food for thought, and was lots of fun.
Adult Written bykaramba April 9, 2008

Clever Punjabi comedy set in London

Why are Punjabis so funny? After Monsoon Wedding, here is another wonderful comedy about a girl soccer player who fights heer parents to succeed. Hilarious at times, there are also a lot of pointed jokes at everyone's expense. Highly recommended, though probably for teenagers and not below unless my perceptions are out of line with today's kids.
Adult Written bylovingmother54321 April 9, 2008
Parent Written byspacermom April 9, 2008

soccer rocker

i have played soccer since i can remember and i have never felt so connected to this movie jess deals with a hating cultural backround while where i live soccer is a boys game i also can not wait to see gracie!