Kid reviews for Benny and Joon

Benny and Joon Poster Image

Movie tackles mental illness-has some strong language, sex

Guys-you have to watch this movie! I have never seen anything like it-I give it two thumbs up! While it's too edgy for younger kids, the age of twelve should be fine! Messages/Models: 4/5 Mental illness does not make less than others, smartness, being different than other people is okay. Violence: 3/5 Some verbal abuse towards Joon. A horror movie features a knife and unrealistic fake blood. Some scenes take place in hospitals. Fist fights, shoving, fighting. Broken glass. Joon sets things on fire and breaks dishes. Language: 4/5 For a PG movie, it's extremely strong. A use of f*ck, a few uses of godd*mn and sh*t. Hell, damn, Jesus! Joon screams "I hate you!" multiple times. Sex: 2/5 A brief sex scene, but there's only kissing and laying on a couch together. Kisses, touching, and sitting in a car. Talk of "Being together," and "midnight swims." Drinking: 3/5 some smoking and beer in some instances. An amazing movie for 12+-a must for mental illness awareness!

This movie isn't inappropriate for children under 13, but younger audiences may not understand the story. It's still an entertaining film regardless of understanding though.

GREAT MOVIE

This is one of those movies where every value you have is questioned. It's the kind of movie that, when it's over, you feel content inside. I think it was a very real movie and something that makes you want to fall in love. My reviews are so mushy.

Yay Johnny Depp!

I only have it three stars because Johnny Depp is the star; there is an iffy scene where Joon and Sam are kissing in bed, and then their bare legs stick out of the covers in the next scene, meaning they had sex and that their entire lower bodies are naked.

Benny and Joon

Such a good movie!!!

My brothers think it's called Betty and Jude

Johnny Depp

I loved it, but not for younger kids :\

I just saw this movie a few days ago and fell in love with it. Johnny Depp has always been my favorite actor, and Benny and Joon is now one of my favorite movies-- I've already seen it 4 times! Even coming from a 12 (turning 13 next month) year old girl, the movie was amazing, but there were a few scenes that made me a bit uncomfortable and I was thinking, "Is this really PG?" For example, Benny did drink beer in a lot of scenes. Also, many characters did say "s---" a lot, in a few variations. Also the F word was used once. Finally, the part I really don't like talking about-- the kissing. I mean, it's fine at first, but then it gets worse and worse, probably leaving kids 11 and younger with their jaws dropped. There's no nudity or anything,(Thank God) but it still gets a bit... awkward. It probably isn't the kind of stuff you'd want to show to kids 9 and under. Anything else with this movie is fine. I really recommend it for kids about my age, a year younger and a lot older. It really is great! :)

A truly great love story

Some people could find it hard to watch at times, but the performances are great, the storyline is decent enough, but what shines is Depp's slapstick comedy, something I've never seen him do before besides mildly in "Scissorhands." You'll regret not seeing this little masterpiece.