All parent member reviews for Big

Parent of a 15 year old Written byTsion July 28, 2010

What were they thinking?

The only reason I watched BIG in the first place is because it was marketed as a family classic by countless people, including Common Sense. In this case, everyone got that wrong. This is a stupid, low-quality, somewhat perverted movie about a 13 year-old who grows up after wishing on a crummy carnival machine. There's your plot. What Common Sense doesn't tell you is that this kid (Josh), has sex at age 13 with a woman who is probably in her 30s. Even though Josh looks like an adult, he still has the maturity of a 13 year-old, and the whole romance part of the plot struck me as twisted and innapropriate. Even when it is revealed that Josh is only 13, the woman who is slept with seems to have no problem with it. In addition, kids say the "f" word, "s**t", "d**n", and take the Lord's name in vain frequently. Lastly, the movie is poorly made, with a strange lead performance (Hanks acts like he's 5, not 13), a terrible script, and poor direction. Keep this movie away from your family and yourself. You won't enjoy it.
Educator and Parent of a 12 and 13 year old Written byBibliomaniac Mom September 12, 2009

Hilarity laced with adult situations

Great 80's movie, but I'd forgotten about the language and sexuality. I watched this recently with my 12 and 13 year olds, and they got to watch Tom Hanks act in his geniusly hilarious way, but they also got to see Tom Hanks exploring Elizabeth Perkins' breast, as a boy, for the first time. I tried to look at the scene from their perspective- young t(w)eens who are curious about how sexuality and love are expressed, and what this scene can teach them. Not a bad message, except that the characters, as usual, immediately hop into bed. One of the biggest messages Hollywood tells our kids is that foreplay ALWAYS leads to intercourse. That's not the main message I want my daughters to receive, and I hope it wasn't. I hope what they received was an evening full of laughter, which is what was intended.
Adult Written byjacobw82 May 3, 2010

DEFINITELY NOT A PG MOVIE!!! PG-13 AT BEST!

Tom Hanks grabs a girl's breast, makes plenty of sexual innuendos, and references alcohol. The F-word is dropped in this movie and God's name is taken in vain twice. As soon as that happened the second time, we killed the movie. There were other cursewords and sexual contents... My question is, HOW IN THE WORLD WAS THIS RATED PG!?!?!?
Parent of a 10 and 13 year old Written bySuperParent September 7, 2009

tom hanks you pervert!

its a good movie, but for some odd reason, a kid blurts out a f-word, and tom hanks grabs a girl's boobies... i don't know what the heck that was for, but who cares reccomend it for all ages
Parent of a 2 year old Written byLINDSEY76 April 30, 2009

Parent Written byteach peace July 15, 2014

Very 80s. Surprised that Common Sense didn't see the consumerism in Pepsi, Canada Dry, or Pizza Hut. Our family of three (2 adults and a 12-year-old boy) liked discussing the three questions Common Sense posed.
Parent of a 1, 3, 8, and 10 year old Written byJacobyShaddix32 November 27, 2009

Good movei

Good movie
Adult Written bymaddox121 August 14, 2015

a kid movie in my heart

I'm not doing the nice stuff because it's more important to do the naughty stuff Violence-Mild Sex-Boob Grab but fullview is off which makes it not as bad Language 1 Use of F 2 uses of A 3 Uses of B Bast--- is mild as Freak--- so dosent count Cons.-who cares except Bad A-- Coffee Drugs-Mild
Parent of a 12 year old Written bydramaqueen@hotm... August 28, 2011

love it!

oh i just love this movie so funny its great i don't know why everyone is making such a big deal outta it its not a bad movie it funny so stop being so dramatic people come on its only a movie get over it!
Adult Written byJuliaG April 10, 2009

Adult Written byDadofThree April 9, 2008

Sweet and funny for grownups

Big is a wonderful, nostalgia-tinged comedy that adults will like better than teens. Much of the humor can only be appreciated with distance from youth. Fair number of swear words and one F-bomb, dropped by a 12 year old, which is why the film really isn't suited for kids under 13...and younger viewers won't laugh at Big anyway. One pretty suggestive romantic scene.
Adult Written byAngela33 April 9, 2008

What is this dangoureos movie?

This movie looks like to scary or sad for a PG because a baby crys from something but the baby was horrable even the dad but the other people were ok.