All parent member reviews for Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure

Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written byMattmchugh April 15, 2012

Best moments are the most inappropriate

For the most part, this is a harmlessly goofy comedy with enough small references to history that a 4th grader would feel smart for catching them. That's all fine. However, the sharpest jokes are the ones that are the iffiest for the young kids who would enjoy most of the movie. For example, one kid refers to Napoleon as a "d**k" -- which I'm sure he was. Funny, but something you may not want your kids to repeat. There are also references to the Oedipal Complex and the number 69 that curious-minded tweens may ask about, so be prepared to explain or deflect. The best inappropriate gag is when one character thinks another has been killed. Upon finding him alive, both hug spontaneously then, a second later, they push back from each other and simultaneously, with disgust, call the other "F-g!" This is hilarious. This is a sharp comment on a prejudice ingrained in our culture, particularly strong in teenage boys, and it's laid out in a joke that underscores its ridiculousness. That's a clever moment, but too subtle for tweens. They'll just think it's funny to say that word -- so, again, be prepared to handle that as you think best. All in all, this is pretty OK for over 10, save for some adult jokes to be aware of. -- mm
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written bythaliapearce June 28, 2009

Be excellent to each other - watch this movie together!

Dude - this movie is most excellent! We have been watching both movies in the B&T's series with our kids for years. Yes, we do have to tell them not to repeat a few words but other than that, there is little to be offended by. I see so much more offensive objectification of women in today's movies than exists in this movie. Just be aware of the difference in our eras - it is from the eighties after-all. Not only are the movies very entertaining, there are even some non-heinous messages in both stories. For example, non-violence, "Dude, we couldn't possible fight you, were like totally weak!" and overall, "Be excellent to each other!" So watch the movies and, "Party on dudes"!
Adult Written byCptnAdmiral May 26, 2011

A Lighthearted and Silly Adventure for Older Tweens

**NOT AS INTENSE AS THE REVIEWS SAY!** This 80s cult is a delightful and hilareous adventure for teens and older tweens. Kids whose minds glaze over some of the brief innuendo and language will be able to enjoy it too. Bill and Ted are not slacky or rude on purpose - they're just two big airheads without a single clue. Ted yells at his father in defense of what he believes in: the movie isn't as intense as the reviews say, and is too silly and lighthearted to be taken seriously. This movie is a must-watch for older-tween movie parties!
Parent of a 8 and 13 year old Written byIvory121 July 7, 2010

Harmless fun...dude.

Both of my children enjoyed this movie. It's silly and relatively harmless (minor language issues) ...and the kids may actually learn something! Those children familiar with the historic characters depicted really connect!
Adult Written byBobslob April 9, 2008

HAHA! So funny!

Boy, if you havent seen Bill & Ted movies you are missing out. They are so oblivous that they dont know how funny they are. These guys go to the past to pick up history characters to laern about for their high shcool project. I wish I could do this! They talk about the Iron Maiden like it is a rock band instead of an old torture thing. You will like this movie no matter who you are!
Adult Written byWhatdoIthink? April 9, 2008

Great Stuff

Compared to most of the 'family-friendly' movies that come out now, (which are filled with inappropriate language and frivolous sexuality) this is a great movie for all ages. I would say it's best for the 10+ crowd, because most younger kids wouldn't get it. It's hilarious, and very enjoyable. Not for those who demand intellectual value in your movies.
Parent Written byeripaco February 8, 2013

bill and ted begin this film as slackers, but part of their journey is to find themselves, to find their purpose and gain motivation to do great things.this is a very funny film. kids under 10 won't get the humor in relationship to the historical figures. it does come across one subject of the princesses being forced to marry noblemen. historical facts were that this was a very common practice during middle ages up until the 20th century. there are a couple of dirty words spoken in the film. i think i heard 3 through the entire movie. i think it is far better then choices on regular programmed television.
Parent Written bybabygirl92293 March 1, 2012

I love this movie :)

i first seen this movie when i was 9... 9 years later i still love it :) :) it has very mild language, and the violence is comical and not EVEN bad at that. there is no sex but there is kissing scenes (like 2) and they are very brief. :)
Parent of a 11 and 15 year old Written byCeltic1962 April 21, 2011