Find the best for your family

See what's streaming, limit strong violence or language, and find picks your kids will love with Common Sense Media Plus.

Join now

Parent reviews for Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn)

Violent and profane, but themes of teamwork, friendship.

Adult Written byRobert coulin February 9, 2020

Don’t listen To all these other people rating it 18+

This movie is not as inappropriate as people are saying. This movie has little to no gore. There is only one part at the beginning that has a little splash of blood but hardly none. The cursing is a little strong it does drop F bombs quite frequently but it is very unforgettable. It does have strong positive role models and acts. I would say this movie is under the line of a funny action movie. It gives a Deadpool under tone but it is not as bloody and inappropriate as Deadpool. I would give this movie a solid : 7.5 out of 10.

Adult Written byreveweroof February 18, 2020

its pretty good but...

i was a fan of suicide squad so i saw this but i took my little bro and hes 9 and now before we go to bed he asks if harley quinn was going to get us and all her friends yes its cute but ANOYING im almost 19 and i thought it was good my bro dint like it he fell asleep i was like how the hell did u fall asleep so i thought it was good but not for young kids

Adult Written byEliteMovieCritic February 9, 2020

Obviously trashy, thematically dark, n yet will be very entertaining to many

The “ positive “ themes contain sexism against males, which isn’t at all positive. The over the top cheesy noir world that this movie is set in, is a very fake depiction of real life remedies. And Haktan perspectives. The gruesome Violence is of course to be expected within the rating and theme. And the final answers and results are antagonists fighting other way worst antagonists it’s not wonderful or realistic or healthy!

Adult Written bySith Lord February 7, 2020

Brutal trash

This movie is an epic failure on almost every level. Characters are shallow and mindless, and violence is sadistic and perverse. The movie has no plot, just endless profanity as shallow, evil characters skip through life creating damage and mayhem in one pointless scene after the next. No redeeming values at all and boring on top of that. Worst movie I have ever seen. Avoid.

Adult Written byPres February 7, 2020

Rape overtones are consistent. Violence is nonstop. Graphically brutal.

More dark sexual violence throughout - Roman humiliates a woman in front of his club by forcing her to dance on a table. Then he forces the man she is with to cut off her dress. She is shown in her bra and underwear clutching her torn dress around her waist and crying in fear. This scene is very difficult to watch.

Adult Written byafricanshinobi February 18, 2020

Fun watch

It's entertaining though for kids (below 18 yrs) caution should follow given the violence & vulgar language.
Violence is part and parcel of real life so is cursing but it's how it's portrayed in art that makes the difference. This film low-key romanticises violence as 'cool'/justifiable in given cases - a slippery route especially for a young audience still in their formative years where such effects of film hit harder at a subconscious level than it would an adult audience.

Adult Written byTurgiss February 17, 2020

Loud, profane and violent

I'm a 60 year old man and I have seen many films in my life, but not too many that had more uses of the "f" word throughout. Even in songs towards the end!! I'm not easily shocked, having seen many horror films. Films such as Bad Santa, Bad Santa 2 and Pulp Fiction also. The problem is that all the profanity just gets boring very quickly. The film does have its moments and some strong performances. But even a child actor gets in on using the "f" word. The script would have been so much better without so much profanity and better dialogue. It is very high energy and out of control frequently. The character of Harley Quinn is just a bit too much in large doses. She fit in well in Suicide Squad because she didn't have to carry the film. The supporting cast was good but again the dialogue was mostly peppered with profanity. Anyone who is easily offended should be aware that it isn't for the prudish. And definitely not for children who can't drive themselves to see it. It ends up just being pointless. It doesn't really go anywhere worthwhile. The characters are not really likeable. They are all self-serving. You don't really care about them or what happens to them. Some reviewers have mentioned that there are positive messages and role models. Were they really watching this film??

Adult Written byBLSandDMS February 15, 2020

Crap

Not good, very violent. Meaningless, nonsensically making excuses to kill. Bad jokes. Constantly cussing. Uses God's name and Jesus's names in vain once or twice.

Adult Written by207caroline February 13, 2020

Lots of bad language

This movie had loads of bad language and violence just in the first 2 minutes. I took my 13 and 10 yo daughter’s thinking it was fine, but walked out. I should add that the language also included hearing motherf*cker multiple times, lots of middle fingers, and excessive drinking just in the first 10 minutes. After someone got their face cut and peeled off, I was out. My 13 yo can handle it as she is mature for her age, but I would recommend at least 15+.
Adult Written byDaniel Neil February 12, 2020

Great movie but no at all like the other movies in the DCEU

Birds of prey has a few good messages about teamwork but its hard to really feel the message when the characters themselves aren't very good people and role models. Harley is not a hero she kills people in violent ways and shoots up a police station even if the bullets aren't lethal she is still a criminal even if the film wants you to think she is a now a hero after leaving the Joker. The film has a lot of swearing and violence. Black mask who is a good villain likes to slice faces. You also see a whole family get gunned down with the children as well being killed and there are a few rape undertones in the film as well.

Adult Written byCoolGuy47 February 11, 2020

its kinda boring

I think people really over exaggerate the movie. If I where the person making the movie I would give it a PG - 13 because its not much worse then suicide squad and suicide squad is PG- 13. its Just a little more violent and swears a tiny bit more. anyway just letting you know I think its not very good and its boring and I Rate it 15+
Adult Written bychrisd8930 February 11, 2020

fast moving fun

okay so here we go this is one of the absolute best movies of the year the action level is high and laughs are full as well such a fantastic story of friendship and banding together in time of need now i say no for young kids due to bloody violence and just violence in general and language galore

Adult Written byJess3 February 10, 2020

It’s alright...

It’s alright... my 17 yr old daughter wanted to see it, so we went. She loved it, but I thought it was just ok. A lot of cussing, which I why I suggested 15 and older, if that’s a concern for you. There are a few scenes that are a little gruesome when fighting but nothing too crazy.

Adult Written bylinda_ch149 February 10, 2020

Great for all ages!

This film was pitched as dark, violent and to be littered with profanity! Yes, this film has a decent amount of swearing, but nothing to be too worried about! The violence is up to the level of Avengers; mainly bloodless. The audience just mainly sees character get hit/punched/shot and then they pass out.
There is no sex or sexual connotations in this film; the only thing is a character wears a sports bra as she is fighting.
I took my 11 year old daughter to this, and she was fine!

Adult Written byTanTron5000 February 9, 2020

A Great dc history recap of harleys life

well it starts with the beginning of her life then it changes to some new ideas that have not been seen before. but after saying that there is some violence but the blood splatter is something like something out of call of duty if you are familiar. so really if you play shooter games and have seen movies like bad boys and suicide squad you should be okay
Adult Written byCoolguy305 February 8, 2020

Very enjoyable!

Adult Written bymoviebuff86 February 8, 2020

Better than Suicide Squad.

I think Birds of prey is a well directed movie about how people can rise above their circumstances and stand in their own power. This movie is for 14 plus because it has some rape overtone that is not too subtle. Also it has violence that is over the top at times but not too graphic. The villain cuts off the face off a family but nothing graphic is shown. there is also a bloody shooting of a family in one scene. Also there is a fifteen minute period throughout the movie where just about everyone wants to murder Harley Quinn. There is a moderate amount of swearing which includes f**c , B**ch , S**t , Damn. The unsettling part of this movie is the disregard for family and kids being hurt. With that said there are messages of teamwork and working together. There is also messages of doing what you can where you are with what you have.
Adult Written byangelikasa February 8, 2020