Kid reviews for Black Hawk Down

Excellent but very violent depiction of a risky rescue.

Teen, 13 years old Written by9001 April 9, 2010

Wonderful movie, but extraordinarily graphic, intensely violent, and disturbing. Adults only 18+.

I watched this movie, and it was great, but very, very intense. Throughout the first part of the movie it didn't have a lot of graphic content, but it was still very intense. Later on in the movie, the amount of graphic and disturbing content increased and increased. Overall, I rate this movie Off for ages 17 and under, Iffy for ages 18-19, and On for ages 19+. Please read below for additional details.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Violence (5/5): There are extremely graphic and intense depictions of war violence and combat throughout the movie. There are two instances where you see a soldier was cut in half, and his guts are dangling down where his legs should be. In one scene, a soldier gets shot in the leg, and he is carried screaming in agony into a building, and later they have to operate on a vein that got stuck in his muscle to stop the bleeding, and the patient passes out from the pain. Throughout most of the movie (other than around the first 30 or so minutes) there is practically constant gunfire and combat, and a lot of explosions. In one scene, a window explodes in a man's face when he is driving an armored vehicle, and he starts crying and screaming in agony while he continues to drive the car. In one scene, there is a very bloody, graphic, explicit depiction of a man being gored by a rocket. A kid on the enemy side accidentally shoots one of his own people, an old woman. Tons of people are shot. The violence goes beyond the scale of 5/5.
Language (5/5): There is very strong, but not constant, language throughout the movie. The F word is used a lot, as are other words, usually s--t, or a--. In one scene, a soldier briefly makes an obscene hand gesture with his middle finger. Other words used are da-- and h---.
Sex (2/5): Very brief sexual content. In one scene, a poster with a woman in a bra posing sexually is shown off to the side of the screen. In another scene, a man makes a gesture with his hand that indicates m*******tion. It could also be interpreted as a g** h****ob. The reason I only rate the severity of the sexual content 2/5 is because children most likely would not understand the sexual hand gesture.
Bad messages (1/5): In one scene, a Simoli soldier tells his prisoner, who is an American pilot, that without war there would be no peace, so people would keep getting killed. This is a bad message, but if you are mature enough to watch the movie you should be mature enough not to let this affect you.
Good messages (2/5): The American soldiers stop at nothing and go out of their way to ensure each others' safety. They care about each other a lot.
Good Role Models (1/5): The American soldiers stop at nothing and go out of their way to ensure each others' safety.
Restatement of my rating: I rate this movie Off for ages 17 and under, Iffy for ages 18-19, and On for ages 19+.

Teen, 14 years old Written byDislexic_Army June 15, 2020

Any of those little kids who play COD ought to watch this (spoilers)

So, from reading the other reviews in this and the “expert” review. It seems to me that not many people really seem to grasp the whole message of the movie. The violence is by no means the worst I’ve seen in movies and is nothing compared to some video games, if your gonna let your kid play something like RDR2 you might as well let them watch this. The language is more wholesome then stuff that I hear at school. Anyone who goes to public school knows this. The real part of this movie is about self sacrifice, never leaving anyone behind, and the horrors of war. Anyone who plays COD and thinks that this looks “cool” a obviously has no idea of what there talking about. This movie shows it all, from soldiers watching there friend and comrade bleed out as they’re helpless to stop it, two Delta Operators going in on a suicide mission to try to defend wounded men in a helicopter from a near endless wave of Somalians. The movie really gives a good go at telling people that war is no joke and not something to think is “cool”. If your more of a gamer, go play SPEC OPS:THE LINE. Great game, carries the same message. The movie mostly sticks to the Americans but tells about both sides and shows why the Americans are there. It briefly allows a part where the Somalians share there beliefs. It’s really a must watch for anyone who thinks they know something about war. Also, maybe give lone survivor a try.

Teen, 15 years old Written byia1746 May 14, 2020

Top-notch entertainment

Black Hawk Down is a FREAKIN’ AWESOME war movie. After 25 minutes or so, this film is literally a non stop, action packed battle scene, and it is AWESOME! WOW! There is some bloody war violence and some swearing, so I recommend it for ages 14 and up. A surprising fast pace for a war film, where as most war movies are quite obsessed with suspense and drama rather than constant gunfire. Not quite as realistic as Saving Private Ryan, but still an awesome true-story based movie with lots of action.

Teen, 13 years old Written byram234533ds May 8, 2020

The best war movie ever!!!!

This is definetly the best war movie. Extremely violent though. Lots of blood and gore. People are shot with blood everywhere. Pretty graphic too. There is a lot of la gauge too. Even with all this it is still the best war movie. Even better than 1917

Teen, 14 years old Written byAusAirForce May 3, 2020

Excellent Movie, BUT EXTREMELY VIOLENT

A very realistic war movie based on real events. BE WARNED: Some extremely graphic scenes that are NOT FOR CHILDREN, eg: Men with missing limbs, cut in half with guts hanging out, an RPG imbedded in a torso of a soldier, surgical procedures (putting a hand into the leg to retrieve shrapnel). Overall good movie but for a mature audience that can deal with high level violence.

Teen, 13 years old Written byDawgamer05 April 10, 2020

Incredible War drama most mature teens Could handle.

Black Hawk Down is violent at parts its almost nonstop action not as good or as violent hacksaw ridge or saving private ryan but still a great war movie with blood some gore Swearing no sex.

Teen, 13 years old Written byTrigonometry January 9, 2020

One of the best movies ever made, hands down.

It is violent. Extremely violent. It can even be disturbing if your children are not mature enough. However, if they understand war and some political conflict, then it isn't too bad. Aside from 3 scenes which are very very graphic, it is mostly just shooting with blood splatter. The language is nothing worse than I heard as a 6th grader. With the occasional f-word and an abundance of s-words. As long as your kid is mature, they need to watch this.

Teen, 13 years old Written byTrigonometry January 9, 2020

One of the best movies ever made, hands down.

Teen, 15 years old Written byIDC03 August 18, 2019

good movie, not for kids.

Has intense violence, swears, about two innapropriate jokes, and an innaproppriate image for a few seconds, although overall I enjoyed this movie

Teen, 15 years old Written byJoeKoranda May 29, 2018

One of the best films ever

A true story about American heroes risking it all to keep their country safe. This film does have loads of violence and language but it's worth trudging through to witness one of the greatest films ever made. 10/10

Teen, 13 years old Written byNickels25 October 24, 2017

Fun war movie, might be too graphic for littler kids

There is lots of graphic violence including people blowing up having their hand blown off shot in the head graphic surgey a bunch of blood many uses f--k and s--t but should be okay for mature tweens!

Teen, 17 years old Written byLori R. September 13, 2017
Teen, 13 years old Written byXx that one bro Xx October 8, 2016

Violent but awsome

i remember watching this with my freind on Netflix and we loved it but it was intense and gritty one guy is even get a dorpedo throw his stomach a guy gets glass in his eyes another guy torn in have with his guts every and non stop shooting many bad guys are blown up (which is graphic by the way) and shoot through the head. But hey an awsome movie I think I had about 5 red bull cans and about twelve packs of deritoes eating any way me and my freind loved so good you gotta watch it(;
Teen, 13 years old Written bydakid May 14, 2016

It's good

It's good no sex I would let kids 9 10 and up watch it unless your a liberal

Teen, 15 years old Written bySpencer15 October 14, 2015

Wow!

Ridley Scott is my favorite director even before I watched this epic film, Scott really knows how to make movies. Black Hawk Down is a fantastic movie, there is a lot of blood and gore. People lose limbs and one guys legs are completly blown off. Black Hawk Down is an unforgettable yet bloody film.

Teen, 16 years old Written byAnthonee225 August 10, 2015

Black Hawk Down

First off, very good movie! It's very violent and there's quite a bit of swearing. Also in the review provided by common sense, they say that they don't explain reason for conflict, which is untrue. They explain that somalia is a mess and either than can watch it tear itself apart on the news or do something about it. They also say that they don't really empathize with the somalians which is also untrue. They mention the somalian body count and try to help the somalians that are being persecuted by the malitia. It also really shows the brotherhood that the rangers had, and they would put themselved at risk to save their comrades. Anyways very good movie, I highly recommend

Kid, 11 years old February 9, 2015

Black Hawk Down

Despite being 11 i think this is inappropriate for children under the age 15. It has lots of violence and some shocking scenes which are shown for not long. Some parts i could not watch. I did enjoy this film i found it exciting but a bit much on the violence. It did have some swearing but apart from that it was a very good and fun film which i found cool.

Kid, 12 years old January 14, 2015

Gives people a good idea of what war is like

This movie was very intense. This would show poeple, who are thinking of joining the military what they are in for. I happened to love this film though! It was based on a real life story. This, in a sense forces us to be aware of what sacrifices soldiers take for our country. I rate this film 5 stars!!!

Teen, 14 years old Written by1republic October 3, 2013

Black Hawk Down-an event that changed the face of war-Rated R

This movie is full of unmatched courage and valor. [We have rules, the other side dont] (From SEAL Team Six: the raid on O.B.L.) The american soldiers show courage and life-saving measures to ensure each others safety. Violence goes beyond intense, I was on the edge of my seat the entire movie and could amost chocked on dinner so I could get back to watching it;) Violence: extremely bloody, intense, graphic, constant, and realistic violence. One of the reasons it's so vivetingly intense and realictic is because the violence is constant. Once past the initial 30 minutes of the film, the last 2 hours are nothing but extreme courage fighting, swearing, ordered chaos, killing, blood, and riveting disturbing images of a man's finger hanging by skin, a man's hand found lying on the ground, a man without his lower half with his guts basically hanging out, and a disturbing surgery in which a man digs his hand in a man's open leg to reacha major vein to stop bleeding. Teens should watch these movies, they are amazing and teach about the values of honor and love for the country we all serve in one way or another. Language: probably 20 f-words s-words and a middle finger. Drinking: The Somoli's and americans smoke quite frequently during the first 30 minutes of the film. This is a definate step up from Act of Valor in terms of violence). Sex: very little, a man talks at a pay phone in Magodishu with a scantily clad woman covering her breasts with her hands and a number next to it, it is shown for about 20 seconds, no big deal but families may want to be aware of it. An obscene hand movement which indicates innapropriate activites (i.e. mast----tion Very brief I rate war movies like this off for 12 because in my opinion no 13 year old posseses the maturity, stomach, or mental ability to grasp the true value of these movies other than the action. I don't think these should be watched for the action. most 14 year olds won't either but, in most cases, I think a 14 year old could probably handle it. So off for >13, iffy for 14, iffy for 15, on for 16.

Kid, 12 years old June 28, 2013

Good, but not for younger ones.

Very inspiring, but exceptionally gory for younger ones. It shows the frighting power of our military, but also how fragile life is. Awesome book, too.