Parent reviews for Black Is King

Stunning musical has strong message of empowerment.

Adult Written bylizkats August 2, 2020

Powerful, beautiful piece

Giving this a 13+ age rating seems insensitive at best. Blue Ivy Carter is 8 years old, which is apparently too young to view the film she herself performed in...

I felt very comfortable watching this with my children, who are 3 and 5, and thought the powerful messaging outweighed any (minimal) concerns about inappropriate content.

Adult Written byJordan88 August 2, 2020

Beautiful

Pride that's all I can say and feel when I watch this movie

Adult Written byCnmulder August 21, 2020

Age rating is misleading. Strong movie with powerful themes and music.

Don’t miss this work of art. The rating is completely misleading. I don’t know how Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is rated for 12+ and this movie is 13+. There are no dark villains, scary characters, or death scenes (there is SO much violence and death in HP). Language (damn) and “sexuality” are minimal. This rating is completely misleading. Please allow your children to watch this and discuss with them themes of loss, redemption and finding your way. Discuss how empowering a beautiful song like “Brown Skinned Girl” is for little girls who desperately need positive reflections of their beauty inside and out. Discuss how the one song that glamorizes materialism is actually the paradise that the king needs to turn away from to be his true self and take the throne as king. Are you afraid of black culture? Is that the reason for the high rating? I can’t make sense of it. Loved this movie, as did my kids ages 8-13. The soundtrack has been the anthem of our summer.

Adult Written byfasmaeil August 16, 2020

13+? Really Common Sense Media

Parent of a 8-year-old Written byCarolyn F. August 13, 2020

Beautiful, artistic, passionate

As a former AP Art History instructor I had to watch this and it did not disappoint. Shot after shot was not only beautiful but also meaningful, with connections to the history and cultures of Africa. Plus there is a lot about just parenthood in general.

I watched it with my 8 year old and she enjoyed seeing the connections to The Lion King. She was also amazed and interested in the costumes and settings. It was not quite active enough for her, but she drifted in and out of the room and thought that Blue Ivy had a lovely singing voice.

In the entire 1.5 hour film there are maybe five blink-and-you'll-miss-it sexually suggestive dance moves. And that is a generous estimate, for those who see any arched back and hip sway as sexual. The segment about 15 minutes in where young Simba gets lost is a tiny bit scary, but certainly less so than in the live action Lion King, which was only rated as for kids 8+.

The 13+ recommendation is just baffling to me.

Adult Written bydracoprinz September 13, 2020

Adult Written bybarefootboy August 22, 2020

YES, 14+, This is the same rating Disney gave their own film.

Don't be fooled by those pushing for a lower age rating. Even Disney labeled their own film as 14+.
Adult Written byTransslime August 5, 2020

Adult Written byabdval August 3, 2020

No king ,but mis leading

This is not a movie for children, I was suspecting more of a historical look into black lives and how beautiful black people are but it does not show this until the very end. Mean well this builds up a story of witchcraft or Vodo that is not appropriate for children. It mask the Lion king story. But like I said there is Vodo the Illuminati throughout the movie. There is good history and culture in this movie not 100% bad but it could have been told in a way that is not so in a cult way. I would not let my children see this ir recommend it to friend or family. Instead tell them no . I know manny will not see it in my view,but this movie is not spirituality good for one soul it is Deceiving.
Adult Written byErica walters August 2, 2020

Greatness

Black is king is the best flim I've seen period. Beyonce really out did herself on this one.