Parent reviews for Black Panther

Masterful Marvel film has depth, diversity -- and violence.

Adult Written byBanla February 13, 2018

Fine for a quite a mature 12

This film is absolutely one of marvels best movies, but that does not mean that it is a child friendly film . This film has things ranging from violent stabbings to (at times) quite a sad story . There are many over the top fight scenes in this film with many stabbings but these are done without great detail , but still show realistic blood wounds . There is a lot of blood in this film but all of it is dried so nothing to shocking with the blood is shown . The fight scenes can also be very violent with lots of bashing in them and lots of dried blood shown and the baddie in one scene repeatedly kicks the hero even when he's given up , but this scene is very short and no blood is shown in this part . There are many deaths by guns in this film including a scene where a man shoots through his girlfriend to get to his enemy and then repeatedly shoots him , but again no great detail is shown . There's a part where someone's neck is cut , but no detail at all is shown and it is very quick . In another scene someone takes a bullet and quite a detailed wound is shown . The film has quite a lot of swear words in it , but it's only the s word and a middle finger is shown at one point .

Parent of a 7 and 8 year old Written byMaggieSawyer February 17, 2018

Positive messages, superhero violence.

Black Panther is a film beyond the average superhero movie. There's an interesting and well plotted story with themes of family loyalty and community responsibility. It is witty and exciting and very entertaining. I think a family would enjoy this film and have a lot to talk about after. Especially positive is the representation of Black heroes, both male and female, which is all too rare in media. The female characters are strong and smart and important to the plot. Even the villain is a complex character, a person shaped by his history and surroundings to pursue violence, not a cartoon villain. There is very little romance, but the relationships alluded to are those of men and women who show each other respect. There is of course, violence in this action movie. A shootout, punching, stabbing, fighter planes, explosions, a large scale battle. The violence is not unduly glorified but it's definitely a movie where people fight, a lot. If your child has seen other superhero films like Avengers or Thor, or reads supehero comics, this is along those lines. There is no drinking or drug use. One character gives the middle finger in a joking way. For my family, in the end the positive messages of this film far outweighed my initial concerns about the violence. My kids came out of the film most impressed by the female inventor, and the cool tech, and talking about the interesting story line and discussing the characters relationships and choices, a much more interesting engaged reaction than we get at many films.

Parent Written byApril K. February 18, 2018

The Black Panther

Loved it Great movie

Parent Written byYolanda K. February 16, 2018

Wakanda Forever

Great film for kids and especially young girls. They will love the costumes and the character Shuri. Zero complaints!

Adult Written byAnna F. February 18, 2018

Good movie but not for little kids

It was a good movie with a celebration of diversity. However there is a bit of gun violence. This even includes a scene where a main character shots and kills the woman he had just been lovingly kissing in another scene .
Parent of a 7 year old Written byTami G. February 19, 2018

Heavy storyline and lots of violence, not for young kids

I have many friends that took their kids younger than my 7 year old and they enjoyed it. My daughter is very sensitive and still watches Peppa Pig and other youngish shows, not because she is slow, but because she likes them. While this movie is wonderful and has lots of information for kids, it is not for every child, I should have kept her home.

Parent of a 8 year old Written byChance M. February 15, 2018

Good start, hopefully more to follow...

This was a very good movie. It featured many good role models and a diverse cast. The villain(s) were also complex. That said it is also very violent. (man without arm, lots of gunfights, brutal fist fights) that all happens but it stays in the typical marvel violence. This should be okay for younger kids.

Adult Written byalboyer2 February 16, 2018

Great For Tweens and Teens

Saw it last night. Very entertaining. Did see the middle finger once and the s-word said very quickly in context. Other than that, a lot to like for taking older kids to see.
Adult Written byBernadette A. February 17, 2018

Incredible movie with positive messages and a diverse, gorgeous, strong cast of characters.

We took our three daughters to watch this movie and they just looooved it. It's a fun blast! The women in the film were just amazing and we just loved the equity they had in the film. It's beautifully shot and the overall messages are great positive ones for kids to take away. I think it is the first of it's kind. We walked out proud to have watched it as it represents the best of all of us. A couple of scenes that show the and guys taking real bullets and a violent duel so our youngest covered her eyes then but overall super enjoyable and family friendly. Minimal language.

Adult Written byAdaora A. February 21, 2018

Wakanda: My Review of Black Panther

Movie Review! I’m not sure if my comment will count as a review being that I arrived quite late to the cinema room and left a bit early but I will dish out my two cents non-the-less. Here we go: The movie was impressive, beyond my expectation of how I thought the African story would be told. From the visuals, to the outfits, accents, to the story line et all. it was great. Before I watched the movie, I had a feeling that the continent would be view in that romanticized and slightly insulting way that African Americans view Africa where only certain kingdoms are chosen to represent Africa. I assumed already that the accents would be overly stressed, and I expected it to be overtly political with that very cliché theme revolving around proving a point to the whites that we are not who they say we are. Truth be told, it did fall under that cliché theme. Essentially, the movie is about the Heroes of Wakanda protecting the kingdom’s natural resource, the Vibranium from the foreigners (whites). The vibranium is what has helped power the kingdom and makes it the most powerful in the world. If you are familiar with world history, you’d get the message right away. If you are not, I’ll explain in brief: The Europeans exploited African for her natural resources resulting in the poverty and wars that takes place in the continent till this day. The movie flips things around gives its assumption of what the African continent would be if the inhabitants made use of their resource and worked together. Despite it’s no-so subliminal message, I appreciate that it did not seem too aggressive. But this still does not change the fact that I did not find the story interesting enough to anticipate what would come next. Then again, I am not a fan of action movies as I find them all too predictable. In regular movies, viewers watch for the story line mostly but black panther is different, especially for blacks. The graphics, costumes accents and language, events other superficial were very important to black views because far too often in movies, the richness of Africa is erased but in this movie attention was paid to the details. Its why when you ask an African for their review of the movie, almost every one whether into the arts or not focuses on the graphics and costumes. The kingdom of Wakanda was shown visually in such a way that communicated that an advanced Africa does not have to get rid of it’s roots, language, vegetation, clothes, traditions to be developed. It also helped in educating viewers on some of the traditions in the continent. As an African I appreciated that their research finding were not lazily woven into the film. The head mask is also an Igbo mask, the outfits represented from different countries and were styled in glamorous and appropriate ways. For example, the Lesotho clothes were used as shield with super power and in reality, the people of Lesotho use it to cover themselves from the sun. It these materials were used as, say, a table cover in a restaurant then it would show that the producers of the movie think take their their time to do research but rather looked for “exotic” items to embellish the movie. Although I did notice some inconsistencies (For example, Okoye is an Igbo west African name and yet she spoke Xhosa.) I’ll let them go because Wakanda is not supposed to represent one African country. Over all it was an inspiring movie that really did the job of depicting telling an African story and also inspiring and showing viewers the true possibilities of how Africa could be. Most people from other continent do not understand the continent of Africa or see it beyond a certain light and this movie could be used as a sort of Africa 101.

Adult Written byIndigoVA February 19, 2018

Good for tweens and up

I saw this tonight with my 11 and 8 year olds. It's a good movie, and my 11 year old daughter especially liked the strong female characters. However, my 8 year old was quite honestly bored. He has seen lots of Marvel(and similar) movies, but this was too long for him and really over his head in places. Although he didn't seem too bothered by it, I found this to be more violent than your typical superhero movie. Maybe it wasn't "more" violent, so much as the violence seemed more realistic. I would say use caution for kids 10 and under--both due to violence and the fact that story may not be able to hold their interest for the long run time. Great movie for tweens, teens, and adults though.
Adult Written byTommie B. February 18, 2018

Must see for many reasons...

Still unpacking the Afrocentric-futuristic fable that packaged hard truths and brilliant imagination with deft precision. The depth and contextual vividness of the cinematic production about a super-hero was threaded with the story and lost stories of Africa and her children. Beautiful, expansive, poignant, intersectional, and redemptive...

Adult Written byJoey M. February 15, 2018

Adult Written byKerri C. February 17, 2018

Awesome

Awesome from start to finish!

Parent of a 12 year old Written byJason H. February 20, 2018
I have a sensitive 12 yo and I was very concerned about seeing this film. The delay in its ratings and some of the comments on it made me strongly consider seeing it before taking my son. I’m glad I didn’t. While there were more impactful scenes in this film the violence is not glorified. I’m Civil war we saw iron man and Cap beat each other up as friends in what I felt was a much harder scene to watch. If your child is not at an age to process someone making a middle finger gesture and sort the inappropriateness of it you really shouldn’t be considering a PG-13 film for them. I found this to be an extreamly powerful movie with role models for everyone, it showed women and minorities in warrior and science roles. Go and enjoy it any child whose been in school and has set through other MCU films should have no issues here.

Adult Written byJD B. February 19, 2018

Great Addition To MCU - Parents should note 2 missed content items

I'll point out 2 things missing from the content section. Ross uses God's name in vain once. "OMG" Twice, the characters go to an astral plane upon a very short and non-intense "praise the ancestors" chant. Parents wanting to avoid spiritism will be bothered. 4 stars because the movie is great. But Ross's inclusion felt very forced. No explanation as to where Steve Rogers has gone even though he was last seen in wakanda. The credits scenes at the end were dumb.
Adult Written byLars M. February 20, 2018

It’s just ok

I lost interest in this movie about a quarter into it. I would compare the acting to a B rated movie. Needless to say.... NOT good acting at all!! I wish I wouldn’t have wasted my money and waited for red box so I didn’t feel bad about spending the money.
Adult Written byFeroniar L. February 17, 2018

Both enjoyable and inclusive, one of a kind

This movie is a very enjoyable action story based on Marvel super hero comics. It brings more to the table than your average movie and appeals to everyone equally. Black Panther oozes positive messages whilst being visually pleasing and exciting. It shows real women, a strong African cast and looks at sensitive topics such as the treatment of Afro-American citizens. But in this it didn't focus on hate, it delivered a message of hope, change and community spirit.

Adult Written byMoniessh February 15, 2018

Thrilling and fast-paced superhero movie never get you out of seat...

This superhero movie features black cast and for the first time in Marvel Industry.This movie presents King T'Challa who vows to protect Wakanda and counters obstacles as he does.This movie has violence,is brutal but minimal blood.A middle-finer gesture and mild swearing.A few kissing scenes and has positive role models.Positive role models like King T'Challa protects his kingdom and supporting casts are always supportive and do their job efficiently.Positive messages like loyalty,being protective and teamwork.Could have been better but same old fight plot.Overall,this is a good movie

Adult Written byChad S February 16, 2018

Lots of hype but still very good

Good but not great. I liked the message of the movie, peace and harmony is what will get us to the place where we all want to be.