Parent of a 9, 12, and 14 year old Written bymamide3 April 27, 2011
I wish I had seen these reviews before I started watching this movie with my 14 year-old. I put it on fast forward during the masturbation scene. The whole movie was way too disturbing and I turned it off before the lesbian scence started. I personally do not think it's appropriate for any age but especially not for kids and teens. I was very disappointed!
Parent of a 17 year old Written bygson December 27, 2010

NOT for younger minds - incredibly intense

Intense... very well acted! Definitely NOT for children, personally, I would not take a teenaged girl to this movie.
Adult Written byMia93 February 7, 2011

A movie masterpiece, but one that I will never see again. Not for anyone under 16!!! If that!

I am almost 18 and went to see this with a friend of mine. There's no doubt that this film is a masterpiece but at the same time I would never see it again. The movie contained a lot of highly explicit sex scenes (including a lesbian scene), masturbation scenes and a lot of blood an gore (a woman stabbing her own face with a nail file and a womans fingers getting crushed in a door over and over). The overall message of the film was to show the insane (literally) power that trying to be perfect can have on a fragile mind of an insecure person. I however found the details of the film hard to piece together as I found myself with my hand over my eyes so much so that I missed a fairly large percentage of the movie! This film is not meant to be a good time and it certainly isn't going to make you walk out with a smile. It is however very captivating and extremely intense! You get so absorbed in the insanity of the story and the scenes taking place that I found myself having to say to myself "it's just a movie..." over and over. Also, I am a ballet dancer so of course that was an intriguing aspect of the film. I found the dancing spectacular, however I would never go and see this movie purely for the dancing as it is a very small part of this epic film. So, definately a masterpiece but one that I would never watch again! Truly horrifying and disgusting! I would not recommend this movie for anyone full stop but if you are planning on seeing it, no one under the age of 16 should step near this film and even then, it must be a very mature 16 year old, that can handle a bit of blood, gore and sex scenes.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 September 25, 2012

black swan

Families can talk about the messages the movie sends about committing yourself to something. When is focusing on one passion/talent/dream healthy, and when does it go too far? Do the consequences of the characters' behavior in this movie seem realistic? Have you ever seen anything similar happen to anyone you know? Is Nina's relationship to ballet healthy? Does the film unmask anything about the world of ballet?
Parent of a 4, 7, 15, and 17 year old Written byhighlander91 June 29, 2011

Definitely not for kids!

Only saw brief previews and didn't read reviews before renting this movie - big mistake. While I thought the acting was good, I thought the rest of this was garbage and a total waste of my time. Definitely not for kids with the sex scenes, drinking/drugs and violence. Just glad the 17 y/o in my house didn't decide to watch this with me!
Parent of a 17 year old Written byZach Flowers April 3, 2011

Better for adults and kids 15 and older. not younger children

The movie starts off slow, but if you pay attention you follow everything that's going on. The movie was very well done, and Natalie Portman did deserve the oscar. Her performance was spectacular.
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byJorgito March 3, 2011
Great film. But just for adults. Great performances, incluiding the sexual scene. But again, just for adults. It is simple, a great good making simply performed superbmovie. Ballet for dudes? In this kind of films, of curse!
Adult Written byAlex Daulton November 8, 2011

Too much for young and probably adults too

Very uncomfortable movie to watch. I wish I never saw it. Sexual content is nothing children under 17 should see. The movie makes you feel disgusting when it's done and made me hate ballet afterwards.
Adult Written bymasterofthemovies January 24, 2011
brilliant filmmaking! this movie will make you feel sick or unnerved after watching, but that is EXACTLY what the director wants! Every minute of the film was extremely good and done in good taste. The sex scene was not as graphic as others in theatres now a day, and is usually under fire just because its between 2 women. the parts that will make parents nervous is the creepy images and twisting plot. aside from that its ok for kids 16 and up. (15 if they are mature)
Adult Written bycourtneylsaid December 30, 2010

Appropriate for mature audiences. (If you have a mature 15 year old, then take them. Depends on maturity level).

Black Swan was an excellent film that I thoroughly enjoyed. Yes, there was sex, drugs, and violence. Parents, you are well aware of this before you step foot into the theater. Also, on-line forums and reviews have expressed their concern for younger audiences for this film. This film is supposed to pull from a more mature audience. With that being said, it is totally up to you parents. It depends on the maturity of your kids. Along with more mature content, it is harder to grasp a clear understanding of what is going on during the film. Because of Nina's (Portman's) hallucinations because of her medical condition, it is difficult to differentiate what is real or fake. This film was nicely made, and it was unlike any other film I have seen during my lifetime. It has already been recognized for its wonderful work. Great movie.
Adult Written bybro4 December 26, 2010
As a parent of a 15 year old, we left during the taxi scene between the two main characters. This is a bizarre movie that is not recommended for anyone under 17, and even my 19 year old was not impressed. Just plain wierd! Nothing positive to say at all.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byFranktastic December 24, 2010

Total Waste

I am the type of person that enjoys all movies in some way, but this was the worst movie I have ever seen in my life. It was even worse than Caddy Shack 2, which I didn't think was possible! Golden Globe awards, give me a break. This movie never should of been released! Everyone leaving the theater had the same look of disappointment on their face. A waste of my time and money.
Parent of a 15 year old Written bygpontes December 4, 2010
I took my son to go see that masterpiece of a film after him asking for me to go see it with him, considering we are both movie lovers, my wife, my son and I went to see this film and found it very entertaining but disturbing. The emotional tormant some of the characters are under is awful and the sexual content my be a little over the edge, but children now adays see sex as a part of modern culture and it's a now adays natural occurance in film. I recommend thsi film for ages 15 and up as just entertainment, but it is a deeper thriller and that is one factor of it I enjoyed a lot.
Parent of a 14 year old Written byguillaumetricot July 23, 2015

Excellent movie, for older teen only though

This movie is all about pressure in the ballet industry. It is not suitable for teens under 15. This movie has very intense scenes, some sex scenes that are remarkably long especially one between two women and also drugs. I enjoyed this movie a lot because of the plot and because of the dark and heavy atmosphere. I recommend this movie for mature 15 y/o and for older ones too.
Parent Written byGaelle Tricot July 22, 2015

ONE OF THE BEST SUSPENSE MOVIES I EVER WATCHED!!

In my opinion, Black Swan is a masterpiece: excellent, fast moving, suspenseful movie that shows very clearly the repercussions of having an obsession such as the Ballet. Moreover this movie is psychologically confusing so I recommend this movie to older teens OR adults.
Parent of a 14 year old Written byM.Li January 24, 2015

Should not be Rated R...

I give this movie 3 stars because it really is a good plot, story and acting, but as many movies nowadays it is ruined with an uncomfortable scene with two women. My problem isn't about 2 women doing it, it's that they are doing it in the first place and it is TOO LONG!
Adult Written byccb1996 August 16, 2014

Brilliant but not for kids

You will either love or hate this movie. If you love it, you'll be thinking about it for a long time. Black Swan is a dark, well-done thriller about perfection and the price we are willing to pay to achieve it. That being said, this is definitely not for kids. There is a lot of language, some drug use, a lesbian sex scene, and some horror movie-like elements. Although it is not necessarily condoning those actions it's best watched by mature adults. If you like dark movies that explore human nature, then this movie is for you.
Adult Written byMostlysane June 11, 2013

Brilliant masterpiece with a useful message

First of all, the story may be too intense for teens, and the message may fly over their head. The intensity comes from the disturbia the main character faces. This disturbia induces stabbing, free sex (no genitals shown but pretty close), and schizophrenic symptoms (paranoia, hallucinations). The "F" word is commonly used. If you think the viewer will be overwhelmed by these aspects of the movie, it's advisable not to watch it. OTHERWISE, it's a very deep story, and the main character undergoes a major psychological transformation in the pursuit of being perfect. I thought it was beautiful, and I rarely leave a movie with the sense of admiration I'm currently feeling. I would recommend this movie to anyone not offended by sexuality, cursing, or drug use.
Parent Written byLamma May 31, 2013

Its decent

Parent Written byZhash November 17, 2012

Black Swan

Rated R for strong sexual content, disturbing violent images, language and some drug use.