Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Blade Runner

A dark, philosophical sci-fi drama for older teens.

Adult Written byCastellanos July 17, 2009
Blade Runner is a timeless classic. The special effects were phenomenal for it's time and are up to today's standards. The story is both engaging and extremely thoughtful. This film creates a both realistic and believable look at the future and captures us into the movie. While not one of my favorites, this is a very well done film that I recommend, especially to sci-fi fans, but also, to any lover of good cinema. Parents should know that the atmosphere of this movie is very dark and there are some intense moment of violence. There is a scene where a man is shot twice and flies back in his chair very quickly, which will surprise many viewers. Other violent scenes include a man getting shot in the back of the head, with the front of his head bursting open, a mans face is crushed by another man, a woman is shot many times and breaks through many windows of glass in slow motion, another woman is shot and while yelling very loudly and writhing on the floor, she is shot again repeatedly, a man is bloodily beaten and has a couple of his fingers broken (with loud crunching sounds), and a man stabs himself in the hand with a nail. There is also a scene with a woman taking a shower where you see her bare breasts. As for language, in the final cut, there is one instance of the f-word, in other versions the language is PG.

Parent of a 7 year old Written bypaulgibbons August 23, 2012

Thought provoking, violence (even police violence) comes out very badly

From my point of view, it is more important my pre-teen learn to think critically about moral issues: what is human? because we fabricate something, can we destroy it? why should certain groups have rights? Those things make Hunger Games and this something we see enjoy and discuss. As far as alcohol and smoking, he is already so 'anti' such things, I cannot imagine the bad guys smoking and drinking in this dystopian world have a bad effect. And as far as partial nudity (the shower scene where shoulders are shown) - heavens! - I cannot imagine parents finding that objectionable. But i don't understand most reviews. Unlike most movies with violence (and M rated games) - the violence in BR is the subject - it doesnt happen without moral question (as in Battleship or other war-glorifying films) - indeed violence comes out very badly indeed. So, yes one of the greatest sci-fi films of all times- with a great sound track and many thought provoking questions. My eight year-old and I enjoyed it tremendously - and we had lots to talk about thereafter. I don't imagine many eight year olds are ready, but I can't imagine prohibiting a 12 year old from seeing it.

Adult Written byluffy900 August 14, 2010

Iffy Sci-Fi Lacks Character

Though very cinematic in this edgy and dark futuristic world, it doesn't do very well with character development, which disappointed me. Only problems was that there was a nude woman, then she runs around in her underwear, and one use of the f-word.

Parent Written byD G March 29, 2017

A Timeless Sci-Fi Classic

Harrison Ford plays the lead perfectly along with an amazing ensemble cast of characters in this Ridley Scott directed dystopian classic. Released in 1982, this film was a marvel in its time and holds up very well today. Breaking away from so many science fiction films of that era where the future tended to look pretty clean and bright, this film depicts a more sinister future filled with technological marvels, but also scarred by moral decay and the masses trying to eek out an existence in a world where huge technological corporations make the rules and use the government to enforce them. Sound familiar? I would say that this film is for older teens, not only because they need some background and maturity level to understand the themes of the film, but also because there is plenty of violence and cruelty mixed in with some provocative scenes that the younger ones would be better off waiting to see. It is also kind of a slow moving film noir throwback, that at times might bore younger kids who's idea of sci-fi are the highly entertaining fast paced marvel comic type films of today. None the less, if you are a fan of science fiction, this is one of the best ever made, and shouldn't be missed.
Adult Written bycritic sense November 4, 2012

Recommended Rating: 14+ for moderate violence, disturbing scenes and brief nudity

This sci-fi film has a very dark atmosphere and builds tension as it goes on. Although not very violent or gory, the scenes of violence are quite intense and may be too disturbing for younger viewers. A man gets shot in the forehead, a man puts a nail through his hand and a man has his eyeballs pushed into his head with someone's thumbs, pouring blood. In one version an F-word is said, otherwise in other versions there are only a few instances of moderate language. There is a scene with some partial female nudity, but its quite brief.

Adult Written byharris231 September 10, 2012

violent movie with nudity

Adult Written byfenixataris182 April 9, 2008
Adult Written byfangningsheng December 15, 2015

Fascinating, bleak dystopian tale

Blade Runner is quite an interesting film, to say the least. The story involves a cop named Rick Deckard, who is known as a Blade Runner due to his specialization in tracking down missing replicants, or androids, is assigned to find and kill four escaped replicants. While it seems that Deckard is on the "good" side, that idea is quickly brought into question. Blade Runner is not extremely violent compared to today's fare(although i've heard that depends on the version you watch, I saw the director's cut) but nevertheless it contains several scenes of bloody shootings, hand to hand combat, an eye gouging, and a man has his fingers broken rather graphically and painfully. Deckard often drinks hard liquor excessively, and many other characters also drink. There is some topless female nudity, and some rough kissing and touching. Lots of swearing, as well. Overall, fine for most high schoolers and up.

Parent Written byBoymommy October 19, 2015

GREAT BUT FOR MATURE TEENS.

this is as good as it gets with scifi films. There are some f bombs and a passionate kissing scene but the violence is the biggest issue. A man is shot in the head, a woman is shot several times in the back, and a man crushes another man's head but it's mostly offscreen. All in all a great film!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adult Written bygrapelover46 September 14, 2012

Film displays brief nudity; violence.

Adult Written bythebeatlesrule July 16, 2012

Harrison Ford did a great job as Blade Runner in this movie.

The movie has lots of sci-fi action along with breif partial nudity. Not a kid's movie.

Parent of a 17 and 18+ year old Written bynuenjins January 21, 2018

A 'good concept' film that is sluggish, boring and often dimwitted.

The originality is perhaps why this is considered a "classic', but the sluggish pacing along with the flippant dialogue failed to keep me interested. The absence of action through most of this unecessarily lenghthy film and the lifeless dark settings only further the tedium. It was a chore to make it to the end.
Adult Written byJohn M. October 7, 2017

Trash

Terrible storyline way too long all they did was flight cars around and play obnoxious music this is a total bomb whoever the movie critics are there trying to write this up as the best movie of the year is one of the worst syfy's I have ever seen Tom Cruise in the mummy was better than this and that was bad highly recommend you avoid this at all costs
Adult Written bydigitex30189 April 9, 2008

Good, but violent.

This is an amazing movie. The scenery is just spectacular, same with the acting and special effects. Please note though, that the violence is pretty graphic, although there is not much of it. The sex is minimal, but the nudity in one scene is a little gratuitous. 15+ if you cry easily, but 13 or 14+ if you are really mature.
Adult Written bySam Marrick April 6, 2016

Nowhere near as graphic as the year before's Harrison Ford movie.

2 bloodless shootings. One eye gouging with little blood. A transparent garment is splatted with blood after multiple shots (no lingering). A fairly bloody stomach wound is shown close up. A reference to sexual snake insertion. None sexual bare breasts shown in a shower and redressing scene. This is the likliest reason for the R rating which is stupid because Indy 1 was PG and had far more grotesque violence.
Adult Written byDuncanDerund August 30, 2014

Movie

Should be PG-13 for scenes of action violence including weapons and some langage and sexuality and mild drinking.Great Sci-Fi movie.

Adult Written bywatchfearfacter343 July 11, 2012

1982 movie is really good.

The movie has extreme violence along with obscenties (godd--n, s--t, p---k, and a--hole). It also shows characters smoking a lot and has sexual inneudo. A 16 year old that has been exposed to other violent sci fi movies (Robocop, Predator, Alien, Terminator, The Matrix) might be able to handle it, but if your kid couldn't handle Avatar than the movie is not for them.

Adult Written byMike H. April 21, 2018

Blade runner

If it wasn’t for the amazing quality it would be 12

Parent of a 5 year old Written byCody W. November 27, 2017

Love love.

Best movie for a 12 year old (or so) Vs Cinematic and amazingness are unparelled. Im in love more than my girlfriend. She rocks. Please indulge. Won't be sorry.

Adult Written bylouisa1 February 10, 2015

amazing sci fi movie!

this is an amazing movie! but there are some iffy moments that parents should consider looking at there is a ton of violence, drinking, drugs, and there is one scene where we see a womens breasts, again there is a lot of guns and violence plus scenes that may too violent or uncorfatable for young viewers, plus it does have a very complicated plot that younger viewers may not understand. with all that said this an amazing movie that i would definatly recommend